Data usage and speed tests

This is a discussion on Data usage and speed tests within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I just wanted to remind everyone that speed tests use a LOT of data. For example: a single speed test that hits a download speed ...

Thread: Data usage and speed tests

Data usage and speed tests

I just wanted to remind everyone that speed tests use a LOT of data.

For example: a single speed test that hits a download speed of 2Mbps uses about 25MB of data just for the download. So if you also get 1Mbps up, that's another 12.5MB of data. So for ONE speed test you've used 37.5MB of data. If your speeds are faster, you're also using more data.

So "testing" your 3G speeds will burn up your data plans like nobodies business.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

That was very nice of you to remind us of that. I have often wondered how much data goes through for this but have never checked my data widget before and after a speed test.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post

For example: a single speed test that hits a download speed of 2Mbps uses about 25MB of data just for the download. So if you also get 1Mbps up, that's another 12.5MB of data. So for ONE speed test you've used 37.5MB of data. If your speeds are faster, you're also using more data.

So "testing" your 3G speeds will burn up your data plans like nobodies business.
    thanks for the info but i still have unlimited data

Quote Originally Posted by shibby View Post

exactly my thoughts...maybe for others this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstar View Post

exactly my thoughts...maybe for others this is helpful.
    Unlimited is not really unlimitied unfortunately.
    The carriers set a 'soft cap' at 2 or 5gb. Not that you can't use 3g after you reach the cap but the carriers will look into your account activities as why you used so much. Usually tethering will reach that point however.

Thanks for the info, but who cares?

Funny how people are so proud, isn't it.

Maybe you didn't notice (I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't), but AT&T is changing their data plans for new customers. So this could be very important for SOME people.

Thanks for the info, but who cares?

Funny how people are so proud, isn't it.

Maybe you didn't notice (I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't), but AT&T is changing their data plans for new customers. So this could be very important for SOME people.

im up to date on there data restriction i said thanks for the info,i have unlimited data still but that dont mean i dont keep track of my usage.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links