Signal Quality Issues

This is a discussion on Signal Quality Issues within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I am really starting to get frustrated with this phone. I can't recall in the years of owning cell phones every having such terrible ...

Thread: Signal Quality Issues

Signal Quality Issues

So I am really starting to get frustrated with this phone. I can't recall in the years of owning cell phones every having such terrible signal issues as I am having with my N1. I am in known areas for 3g coverage, and my phone with either be on edge or "no service". I constantly have issues with connecting to wifi too. Ive tried multiple routers, multiple security modes, no security, and I cannot get this thing to hold onto a wireless signal.

I like the phone, but this is getting ridiculous. As locked down and for all the bad press the iPhone gets for bad 3g signal, I NEVER had these issues with my iPhone. In fact I can't remember the last time I had "no service' on my iPhone, and Ive been carrying one ever since they released the first 2g.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Ive been holding out waiting for 2.2 to come and maybe help with some of this stuff. Ive considered rooting, as I have heard good results from others regarding the radio. I'm a couple days away from selling my N1 if something doesn't change.
    Jason
    Nexus One

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

If you've tried everything and still have problems, maybe it's time to send it in for warranty repair/replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by pricej636 View Post
    So I am really starting to get frustrated with this phone. I can't recall in the years of owning cell phones every having such terrible signal issues as I am having with my N1. I am in known areas for 3g coverage, and my phone with either be on edge or "no service". I constantly have issues with connecting to wifi too. Ive tried multiple routers, multiple security modes, no security, and I cannot get this thing to hold onto a wireless signal.

I like the phone, but this is getting ridiculous. As locked down and for all the bad press the iPhone gets for bad 3g signal, I NEVER had these issues with my iPhone. In fact I can't remember the last time I had "no service' on my iPhone, and Ive been carrying one ever since they released the first 2g.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Ive been holding out waiting for 2.2 to come and maybe help with some of this stuff. Ive considered rooting, as I have heard good results from others regarding the radio. I'm a couple days away from selling my N1 if something doesn't change.
    I had an iphone and got an N1 and had the exact same problem. I realized that as much as I liked the N1 I just couldn't live with a phone with such poor RF capabilities. I returned it within 14 days for a refund. I was disappointed to go back to the iphone but it's what I had to do. About 2 months later it was announced google would stop selling the N1. I feared they would try to work a deal with ATT and sell a "branded" (aka neutered) N1 through ATT. I decided to give it another shot in the hopes that it was just my particular phone. I was pleasantly surprised that my new N1 performs exactly the same as my iphone in the RF department. I don't know if it was just that particular unit or if something in the manufacturing improved. All I can say is that there are ATT N1's with good RF qualities, and obviously there have been some with poor RF. Maybe they refurbished my old one and gave it to you . In any case, I would encourage you to get a replacement N1 but I understand if that's too much unnecessary trouble to deal with. If you do get another and it's just as bad, I'd say return it and forget about the N1 and wait to get some other android phone at a later date.

Well, I can tell you that 2.2 is far better on 3G for me. Although I never had 3G problems due to the phone, I had it at work because of the building. My building is notoriously poor for 3G. I would get maybe 1 bar if I'm lucky... usually it dropped to edge.

Since using Froyo I'm a solid 3 bars. Not full bars, but still a vast improvement.

Hate to see you give up the N1 if it can be fixed. Especially if your happy with the phone otherwise.

Agree with the suggestions above...mine has exactly the same behaviour (even down to the number of bars) in reception as my old G1. I would seek a warranty replacement. G'Luck!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links