GPS doesn't work on roaming

This is a discussion on GPS doesn't work on roaming within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am with a local wireless company - Cincinnati Bell - which has a deal with tmobile and uses their 3g connectivity. I went on ...

Thread: GPS doesn't work on roaming

GPS doesn't work on roaming

I am with a local wireless company - Cincinnati Bell - which has a deal with tmobile and uses their 3g connectivity. I went on vacation this week and when roaming came on I lost all data connectivity including use of my Gps. I thought the GPS was through a satellite not needing data connectivity. Anyways does anyone know of a way for GPS to work while roaming? Thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by lilcapo2003 View Post
    I am with a local wireless company - Cincinnati Bell - which has a deal with tmobile and uses their 3g connectivity. I went on vacation this week and when roaming came on I lost all data connectivity including use of my Gps. I thought the GPS was through a satellite not needing data connectivity. Anyways does anyone know of a way for GPS to work while roaming? Thanks
    When you say you lost GPS, do you mean you couldn't see your location in Google maps?

Without a data connection, you won't be able to access Google maps since it uses data to download map info, even tho you still have your GPS on. There are third party apps on the market, like Copilot and Mapdroyd, that work offline with data stored on your SD card.

looks like number 9 is right... you just dont have data while roaming. GPS isnt connected to the roaming function but it uses satellites to lock on.

Are you sure you had "Data Roaming" checked in settings? I've never had a problem while roaming.

it takes longer to lock on since it can't make use of AGPS. Also make sure you have it enabled. I used mine abroad for a couple of months no problems.

Yes, the gps still works fine for me even when I don't have data roaming. I had my map of my trip already downloaded, and even though I was without data for over half an hour (up by the white mountains in nh), the gps showed my position on the map the whole time. Granted, if I had tried to zoom into the map, I would have lost it all, but I didn't need to. I did have a voice roaming connection at the time, but it still worked even when I didn't have that, too.

What is T-Mo's roaming policy? Does it ever cost extra money for calls or data? I heard a rumor it doesn't, but I've never seen confirmation of that (other than the fact I wasn't charged extra for any of the calls I made). I'm mainly wondering if it's dangerous to turn on the data roaming option.

I'm hoping that by August there will be a decent navigation program available with saved maps as I'm hoping to go to Arizona, and I don't imagine there is much T-Mo out there by Tuba City.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Yes, the gps still works fine for me even when I don't have data roaming. I had my map of my trip already downloaded, and even though I was without data for over half an hour (up by the white mountains in nh), the gps showed my position on the map the whole time. Granted, if I had tried to zoom into the map, I would have lost it all, but I didn't need to. I did have a voice roaming connection at the time, but it still worked even when I didn't have that, too.

What is T-Mo's roaming policy? Does it ever cost extra money for calls or data? I heard a rumor it doesn't, but I've never seen confirmation of that (other than the fact I wasn't charged extra for any of the calls I made). I'm mainly wondering if it's dangerous to turn on the data roaming option.
    I have one of the unlimited plans and I have never been charged for roaming, and use it frequently.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links