This is a discussion on *NEW* Inexpensive Cell Plan with Unlimited Data within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dziddy Has anyone using Simple Mobile got Google Voice (GV) to work with it? I'm interested in using GV as my "answering ...
You can't forward calls made to your regular (t-mobile issued/Simple mobile issued) phone number to GV Voicemail. You can use your Google Voice number and have it forward to your T-mobile cell # but you'll end up using the T-Mobile voicemail. Strangely enough, sometimes, the call ends up in GV, sometimes it ends up in T-Mobile. I'm not sure why.
Try to set up up your GV voicemail from your computer
Settings > Voice Settings > (under your Mobile area) click Activate Google Voicemail on this phone.
Shame on me for once being a Test Engineer and not actually conducting the test.
I enabled my Simple Mobile number on GV through the website ignoring the "T-Mobile pre-paid warning" with the following results:
- Daughter was able to call my GV number and I received the call on my Simple Mobile (SM) carrier based N1.
- Daughter was able to text my GV number and I received the text
- I was able to text my daughter using GV and the received text depicted my GV number
- Had my daughter call my GV number and I did not answer. Received the mis-call notification on my N1 and gmail transcript/voice recording of mis-call
- I was able to make an International Call (added money to my GV account) and the recipient's mobile displayed my GV number
GV functionality appears to be working regardless of the error I receive when I try to configure my N1 with GV as my VoiceMail default.
My bad, try before whining. Lesson learned.
Now when I travel overseas for 60+ days, I can let my SM account expire. Easy to buy another SIM on Ebay for $3.80 with a new number and continue to use the same GV number (unchanged), saving me $ for cell service I do not need when I travel for extended periods overseas.