Now at my wits end!

This is a discussion on Now at my wits end! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Dear All, This is my first post, although I have been a long (ish) time reader of the forums. I'm wanting to share (vent!) my ...

Thread: Now at my wits end!

Now at my wits end!

Dear All,

This is my first post, although I have been a long (ish) time reader of the forums. I'm wanting to share (vent!) my frustrations with my N1 and explain why I am now almost at the point of hurling the device out of the window of my office.

Firstly, here are the details:

Carrier: O2 UK
    FW: 2.2 (Installed myself naturally)
    Lang: English
    Build: FRF50

When I first received the device I loved it. I have been a long-time fan of Google and HTC and the thought of a collaboration between the two seemed to be a dream come true... a bit like the idea of Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz appearing in an Adult movie scene together .

Also, I wanted to see someone stick it to 'the man' (Steve Jobs) by producing a device that would awaken the masses from the form over function Apple marketing hypnosis.

Initially the N1 seemed to tick all the boxes... great screen, fast, great design etc. From day one though I found the reception, especially the 3G reception to be poor. As I mention above I have been a long time fan of HTC and have numerous old device scattered about the house. I have been using an HTC Snap for work, which my girlfriend now uses (and loves) and this device is also on O2-UK. Put them side by side on the kitchen table and the best the wheezy N1 can manage is 2 bars on EDGE. The Snap is BOOMING on HSDPA.

For a while it wasn't so bad... I could live with that at home as I had set the phone up to switch to WiFi when dropped into the dock (yes, I even bought the house dock AND car dock) but now I'm kind of thinking why would I want to put up with this from a supposed 'prestige' device like the N1.

I had heard that the FroYo update resolved a number of 3G issues so I hungrily sought it out and flashed the handset. The upgrade certainly does the business in terms of making the device faster and the Sat Nav is much improved... however, if anything... the reception seems to have degraded.

I am currently sitting in my office in Central London. There are at least 3 O2 microcells within a 200m circle of this building. My phone is stuck on EDGE and will not pick up a 3G signal even if I try and force it. My colleague with an iPoo 3GS on O2-UK is getting a loud and clear 3G signal.

So, what do I do?

I have contacted the Google support chaps who sent me a very 'helpful' email relating to my issues including this gem which as a 20 year user of mobile phone technology and someone with a background in Military radio comms I found extremely useful:

"If you are experiencing 3G issues, we recommend that you try changing your location or even the orientation of your phone, as this may help in areas
    with weaker coverage."

Marvellous, brilliant, inspiring... No mention of the known issues with 3G coverage on the handset then. Plus, I don't live in an area with weak coverage, quite the opposite. I live 100m from an O2 Macrocell.

This enraged me at the time (I have a short fuse) as it's a clear indicator that Google really don't give a monkeys, but that's perhaps a topic for another thread.

Now, I will take it on the chin for updating to FroYo when the release was not official, but(!), the issues with poor 3G were the reason I updated in the first place so I do not feel like the update is the issue. That said, if anyone knows how to reflash back to 2.1 update1 without voiding the warranty (factory reset does not work) then please pass on the info.

So, these are my frustrations with the handset, plus a litany of other little grumbles mainly related to crap apps which I won't bore you with.

In a nutshell, can anyone advise me what I can do about this 3G issue, and is it worth contacting HTC to see if I can get a new phone (and will this even resolve the issue).

Many thanks,

Bandroid.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Considering the official 2.2 update is imminent, I would suggest waiting for it and then if you have the same poor response, contacting Google/HTC and sending it in for repair. Meanwhile, why not take care of some of the more obvious fixes that have been reported by others to resolve their similar issues, such as replacing the SIM, and finally having your provider "reset" your service from their end.

I hope something works out for you.

Maris,

Thanks for the swift response and the good advice, I'll hang in until the official 2.2 release as you say and see what happens.

I should have mentioned that I had the SIM changed last week. This is the third SIM card so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I wasn't aware that you could reset the service. I'll speak to O2 about it.

Bandroid.

cxm
    I'm also in uk and running 2.2, but on vodafone. I never have problems with mobile broadband except when in areas that I know suffer from poor reception. Maybe borrow a vodafone sim and see if it is any better? You could just be unlucky and have a bad unit.

Quote Originally Posted by cxm View Post
    I'm also in uk and running 2.2, but on vodafone. I never have problems with mobile broadband except when in areas that I know suffer from poor reception. Maybe borrow a vodafone sim and see if it is any better? You could just be unlucky and have a bad unit.
    That's my thinking as well...if the iPhone user get a good signal, you should too...I think a unit swap would resolve this. G'Luck!

I received the latest OTA update for my handset two days ago and am now running build number FRF85B.

I'm still having problems with 3G and when I am in a 3G pocket I am getting speeds (according to speedtest.net) down of about 1200Kbps and up bizarrely the same.

My phone also now is sporadically not accepting calls either. A few times (usually when the phone is in my desk cradle with WiFi on) calls will go straight through to voicemail.

Based on this is it likely, given I have the latest update, that I have a lemon?

Bandroid.

im in the uk also on orange and my 3g speeds are a little better after the update,it pains me to say it but my mates iphone 3gs has full bars but oddly enough my pages load quicker than his ....

I live in the US and am stumped also...thought the reception problem would be fixed with official froyo????? Maybe I will give HTC a call....I am not asking for a miracle, because I DO live in a poor 3g reception area and now I am very much aware of that...BUT the edge reception struggles terribly right next to my spouse's cliq xt both on T-mo....WTH??? BTW the web pages load way faster when we are traveling in the metro area and have great 3g reception.
    CM7.0.3
    Overclocked 1113

Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    im in the uk also on orange and my 3g speeds are a little better after the update,it pains me to say it but my mates iphone 3gs has full bars but oddly enough my pages load quicker than his ....
    That's because your CPU is a lot faster (1G VS 600M)

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links