Playing back video recorded on your N1

This is a discussion on Playing back video recorded on your N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; You can play back the video you record on your N1 in Gallery. But -- as far as I can tell after some research on ...

Thread: Playing back video recorded on your N1

Playing back video recorded on your N1

You can play back the video you record on your N1 in Gallery. But -- as far as I can tell after some research on the 'Net -- if you choose to play it back on your PC (Mac or Windows) and you want to hear the audio, your only realistic option (unless you are a major hacker) is to use Apple's QuickTime.

An Apple product to view a Google-recorded video? Am I the only Google N1 user to respond to this by saying .... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Regards,
    EJB

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

3gp is a mobile video standard, nothing to do with Apple, aside from the fact QT supports it by default. Back in January, I was surprised VLAN didn't work with the audio component, but recently found that MPlayer for Windows works fine:

[ame=http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=138725]MPlayer for Windows (2010-05-22) - Doom9's Forum[/ame]

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3gp]3GP and 3G2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Thanks for the reply, alphawave7, and for your notes on the origin of the 3pg standard. Your information about MPlayer is appreciated, and I may download it, because I don't like Apple very much ....

However, while MPlayer may support 3pg playback (with audio, I'm guessing) from N1-generated videos, it's not what I would call a mainstream solution. If I send my videos to other average PC users, they'll have to use an Apple product or else they'll be out of luck.

It's not so surprising to me that 3pg should be supported so casually as far as ordinary video-capable phones are concerned. Their owners will shoot video on them, and their friends to whom they send that video will probably watch it on their phones. But for a Google-based smartphone with the sophistication of the N1 to be handicapped in this way, for it to be dependent on a mainstream product from Apple for viewing on a PC ... well, I'm puzzled.

Regards,
    EJB

You're welcome! I think you'll enjoy MPlayer..I use that on and off with VLan, and yet another for my HD vids called Splashplayer...which brings me to an off-topic, and philosphical complaint (tied into your complaint, however). All of these codecs/file containers/standards are extraordinarily confusing and inconsistent: my Panasonic Lumix SZ3 shoots 'AVCHDlite' which is near impossible to edit with commonly available vid editors, much like this 3gp issue. I think the biggest roadblock to advancing technology is the need for the user to become geekified just to use simple technology. It's a failure of those standards and formats that they cannot be properly and easily used by 'any joe' for the task he chooses. I think confusing technology is worthless technology..when the ends are elusive, they are hardly worth the means.

I agree. The problem with the 3pg format for me is that -- since the audio codec appears to be proprietary -- it is very difficult to convert it to some more "generic" and better supported format. Handbrake doesn't support it, for example.

I am reminded of Bleendreeble's Thirteenth Law of Computing: Any standard format, no matter how awful, is ultimately superior to a proprietary format, no matter how sophisticated ....

Regards,
    EJB

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links