Samsung quits making AMOLED screens, HTC pissed and tells them no more!

This is a discussion on Samsung quits making AMOLED screens, HTC pissed and tells them no more! within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Pissed at Samsung, HTC ditches AMOLED in favor of Sony’s SCLCD displays Peter Chou must be in danger of going bold, pulling his hair from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung quits making AMOLED screens, HTC pissed and tells them no more!

Samsung quits making AMOLED screens, HTC pissed and tells them no more!

Pissed at Samsung, HTC ditches AMOLED in favor of Sony’s SCLCD displays

Peter Chou must be in danger of going bold, pulling his hair from frustration by now.

I understand that this huge demand may have come as a surprise to HTC. And, suddenly increasing the output of AMOLED displays might be hard for Samsung, if their production lines are already running at near 100% capacity.

But what an interesting coincidence. While HTC is scrambling, and failing to meet the demand, loosing frustrated customers, Samsung is able to ramp up the production of it’s own direct Android 2.1 competitor – Galaxy S. And launch it in multiple countries, with multiple operators, almost at once. Without any supply issues at all…

Well, both HTC and Google have had enough of Samsung for now. According to Korea Herald, HTC is ditching Samsung AM-OLED displays, and replacing them with Sony’s SCLD (Super TFT LCD) displays.

Right now, Korean telecom KT confirmed the display switch for Google Nexus One’s produced from July.

But I’m pretty sure, that HTC has the same display switch coming to Droid Incredible, as soon as they get Verizon’s nod. HTC Desire should follow along in the nearest future, too.

Source: Pissed at Samsung, HTC ditches AMOLED in favor of Sony’s SCLCD displays Unwired View
    Update! Infos from HTC

The Androidcommunity has news from HTC directly.
    HTC has plans to keep using the AMOLED technology from Samsung, but they are also going to use Sony’s Super TFT LCD displays as well. According to HTC, there is no discernible difference between the displays from Sony and Samsung, and they are expecting the differences to slide under the radar. OH the last sentence we can not believe!
    But, they obviously need to tell customers about the difference. Unfortunately, there’s no word on how they plan on doing this, as the details haven’t been quite worked out yet. And considering that the HTC Incredible is still pushed back until the end of July at this point, they obviously still have some time to work out the kinks (at least, when it comes to the Incredible here in the States — the Desire across the pond is another story entirely.
    So. No more AMOLED screen for the Nexus one. Ours have become Antiques. Does anyone know about that new LCD screen? Is it better? Better multitouch? No more screen issues? Would us consumers get to send ours in for a new screen???

-sYn

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Androidfied.

well, screens are the issue for everyone, including apple right now. Sorry to say Sony's LCD will more than likely NOT be as good as the AMOLED. LED > LCD.....
    kinda a DI%K move on Samsungs part tho.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I love the AMOLED screen. I noticed it's first beauty on the Samsung Impression when I had one, so needless to say I was excited that the N1 was built with them. They are absolutely elegant in screen quality hands down.

But in this world, everything is about competition. There's a reason why xBox will never have a Blu-Ray player from Sony, there's a reason why Samsung would want an egde on their smartphones over the competitors. I think Samsung phones are piss poor products, however, even though the Galaxy S is very impressive, but from past Samsung products, phone wise, I'd be hesitant to want to have one.

Now TV's on the other hand........
    Androidfied.

I imagine the "is the N1 still worth it without AMOLED screen???" posts will be appearing in a few months.

With the way Android phones are selling, I'm surprised this couldn't be prevented. You'd think the manufacturers making money on these things would have caught it earlier.

i read something the other day that said there were 160,000 android phones being activated a day now. so i dont find it hard to believe there is supply shortages. maybe they pushed everything to sale too fast to so they werent fishing from a smaller pond by waiting untill after the new iphone release.

who manifactures the cryphone's screen?
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

From what I've seen in current technology

LED: Brighter, more contrast, vibrant colors, and debth

LCD: Higher resolution, dpi

As far a cellphones go, for me high resolution on tiny screens is insignificant.

While I understand where HTC is coming from, Samsung is screwing them by not meeting demand. HTC is losing tons of money because of this. While I don't think HTC should eliminate LED altogether, they need a good mix. Right now all (i think) have LED, but if they mix it up some (which sounds like what they want o do) they should be able to please most people as long as they offer a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by d1mitrov View Post
    who manifactures the cryphone's screen?
    It's super secret...

Though Apple contracts through Sanyo, Sharp, and Toshiba; all who make LCDs.

With the way Android phones are selling, I'm surprised this couldn't be prevented. You'd think the manufacturers making money on these things would have caught it earlier.
    Well, with pretty much only one manufacturer in the world mass producing AMOLED (Sony isn't quite there yet)... it's bound to happen.

Its not secret. LG makes the 'retna' screen.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links