CANADIANs..i need some help

This is a discussion on CANADIANs..i need some help within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; whats up guys n gals. Ive got 2 unlocked N1's coming in the next day or so. what i need to know is what provider ...

Thread: CANADIANs..i need some help

Question CANADIANs..i need some help

whats up guys n gals.
    Ive got 2 unlocked N1's coming in the next day or so. what i need to know is what provider i should go with, Bell or Rogers or...??. my wife can probably get a "student" plan but not sure if we can get 2 (one on each phone), our families are spread out from Barrie to Pickering, and the Beaches. who has the better coverage for these locations and the better plans to get the full experience of the phones.

also i would like for you to tell me what apps your using...not specifically the following but if you have others plus the ones i mentioned it would be appreciated. if its not to much trouble can you add a link for your apps.

weather
    news
    banking
    gas buddy?
    health/medicine
    a "Timmy's finder"
    shopping-comparison and pricing
    TV-

i know there are a lot of these types in the "states", but wasn't sure what was available here.

and just to make sure i don't screw these N1's up...what is the first thing i should do when they get here?

appreciate all your help!!

oh, one more thing, what ear piece are you using for bluetooth, something that will do talk to text, listen to music etc. thanks

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hello !

I'm from Quebec, so most of the application i'm using are french. But they must be biliguanl I guess.
    One of my favorite is of course: Yellowpages.ca

for Weather I'm using the weather app that is coming with Beautiful Widgets. It works just like a charm.

Most of the shopping app I try so far are "american" app and our canadian shop aren't listed... :-(

If you want to avoid configuration issue, go ahead with rogers, as it will work out of the box with your sim Card. If you choose Bell, you will have some configuration to do!
    Good luck.

thanks for the quick reply demonte21. how long have u had ur N1, is it worth the $$,...in my case $$,$$.

I've been using since Last April. Everything run smoothly here in Canada... 3G Works fine.
    Navigation App (the one already include with the phone) work very well!.
    the only problem I had is with DHL delivery.... who pissed me... with 2 fails attempt delivery. Took 2 days off from work to be sure I'll be at home, but they never came: They said there was no one! I was so upset.

Also prepare your 65-75$ Tax and Duty fee money for the courrier.

I'm in toronto, and I've had my N1 for a couple weeks now. I've had nothing but spot on reception so far. I don't make it out to barrie very much so I can't speak to that, but the GTA seems fine. I've not used a smartphone on Bell's network, but I imagine you'll find either network acceptable.

In terms of apps, here's what I'm using:

Weather: The weather Network has an android app. Comes with a widget too. Search WeatherEye in the Market.

News: I'm liking NewsRob for an RSS reader. the Native Google news app is pretty good too.

Banking and Gas.. I got nothin, though my bank's site (pcfinancial) loads up in the browser just fine.

Health and Medicine: CardioTrainer (again search the market) is awecome
    and he google maps data it uses are nice and accurate. Diet & ExerciseTracker by Spark people is good because its food database accepts user shared items. So, there's lost of canadian brands in there.

You can find all the Timmy's you need with google maps. I believe they also show up in Layar, so you can have the whole augmented-reality-terminator-hunting-donuts expereience

If you end up going with rogers, check if they still have their 6Gb for $30 deal. I think it was promotional, but they might be starting it again because of the iphone4. It's as close to unlimited you're going to find in canada.

The first thing you should do with your shiney new phones is set up the apns for mms so you and your wife can shoot pictures back and forth. IF you go with rogers, you can find all the settings here Nexus One, My Account and Android Paid Apps now available in Canada | Rogers RedBoard. That page also references an app from rogers that lets you keep an eye on your account.

I use a Motoroloa HT820 stereo headset with my phone. Works better than it did when I was an iphone user.

Have fun with your new phones!

good post!! thanks Steam23

they just got here..wow..very nice!!
    now just have to go and barter with Rogers.

first complainant...why would they put "done" button right under the "delete" button, my fat Fred Flintstones fingers keep hitting "done" while trying to hit the "delete" button...because my fat finger hit the wrong letter/#.

funny u say "redboard", just stumbled across it last night, but didn't read all the way through. I'll check it out tonight.

are you using a case?

if you find anything new please post, I'll do the same, maybe we can get a "sticky" going for the Canadians here, what do u say admin?

I feel your pain on the keyboard issue. That said, I had the same problem with the iphone. Smart phones don't seem to be built those of us with bigger hands. Best I can tell you is you'll get used to it pretty quick. Don't spurn the voice recognition either, it works pretty well.

I grabbed a skinomi Skinomi TechSkin - Nexus One Skin Protector I didn't end up using the screen protector because I found it felt to rubbery and it turns out the screen is pretty durable from all reports. I do love having the protection on the back though. I'm so in love with the look of the phone, I didn't want to cover it up to much

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links