Nexus One Wi-Fi Hotspot really cost $20 extra per month?

This is a discussion on Nexus One Wi-Fi Hotspot really cost $20 extra per month? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by MyNexus Just wondering how to do this. I am on T-Mobile and as you might have guessed I am a brand new ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One Wi-Fi Hotspot really cost $20 extra per month?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNexus View Post
    Just wondering how to do this. I am on T-Mobile and as you might have guessed I am a brand new user of Nexus and I guess I need a lot more to learn.
    Your help will help me a lot, as I travel and stay in hotels and this will greatly help me. I mean the WiFi Hotspot. I was admiring the Sprint EVO for precisely this capability. If my Nexus One has that capability, I will never regret switching to T-Mobile.

Thanks and do look forward to all of your guys help me.

MyNexus
    When you receive the 2.2 (FroYo) update, in the settings for Wireless & Networks you will have a new Tethering & portable hotspot option. Should be an easy setup from there.

Quote Originally Posted by DasWax View Post
    So I have been messing with my new 2.2 update and I turned on Wi-Fi Hotspot last night and its really Sweet!!! But, I just read on PC World that we must pay $20 additional per month to use it. Is this true? I never got a warning message about this on the phone.

Quote from PC World:

"Android 2.2 will allow your Nexus One to be turned into a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, so you can connect up to 8 compatible devices to the Internet through your phone's mobile connection. Note that on AT&T this feature comes at a cost ($20 extra per month for the privilege, with no extra data bundles included)."

Nexus One Gets Android 2.2 Update - PCWorld
    paying for wifi????never heard of that before

It's not the wifi itself you would be paying for, it's the tethering. Wifi itself doesn't let you connect to internet magically, your phone needs a signal from your carrier and that's what carriers want to charge you for because you would be using their service to connect to the internet, and generally speaking, tethering will eat up more bandwidth then your phone alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ardynine View Post
    It's not the wifi itself you would be paying for, it's the tethering. Wifi itself doesn't let you connect to internet magically, your phone needs a signal from your carrier and that's what carriers want to charge you.
    i kept my sim in an old phone for calls when abroad and used wifi for two weeks making calls with fring and watching some football so that was magic

Now, that was easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Just wondering how to do this. I am on T-Mobile and as you might have guessed I am a brand new user of Nexus and I guess I need a lot more to learn.
    Your help will help me a lot, as I travel and stay in hotels and this will greatly help me. I mean the WiFi Hotspot. I was admiring the Sprint EVO for precisely this capability. If my Nexus One has that capability, I will never regret switching to T-Mobile.

Thanks and do look forward to all of your guys help me.

MyNexus
    When you receive the 2.2 (FroYo) update, in the settings for Wireless & Networks you will have a new Tethering & portable hotspot option. Should be an easy setup from there.

Thank you Maris, I got the Froyo update last night and I see what you are saying. This as I said in my earlier quote, will help me a lot. I only now need to test it.

Now I am happy

lol, well that wifi you were using was connected to an ISP. wifi does not mean internet by itself. it needs a service provider first; in this case it's AT&T or Tmobile or whatever you happen to use.
    for example if you have a wireless router and you only plug the power cable, you will have wifi all around and you can even have your own local network, but you won't be able to connect to the internet until you plug it into a modem that let's you go online.

i understand all that mate what i was meaning was you dont have to pay your phone carrier for wifi,well not where i live lol

I am on T-Mobile and as you might have guessed...
    I got the Froyo update last night...
    You're on T-Mo and got the OTA last night?

Quote Originally Posted by keyplyr View Post
    I am on T-Mobile and as you might have guessed...
    I got the Froyo update last night...
    You're on T-Mo and got the OTA last night?

Yes, that is correct. It was probably sitting there for while, until I noticed the message that a system update is ready to be installed. I knew immediately that I was in for the treat from Google my Froyo. It took about 10 mins and there you go viola, I am on 2.2.

MyNexus

Talking I am the WIFI hot spot for the office

i have the 91 froyo build and i am using the hotspot for my laptop and 2 others in the office...works like a charm...no issues as of yet!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links