Do I need a data plan for Froyo OTA update?

This is a discussion on Do I need a data plan for Froyo OTA update? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi I had a quick question: will i get OTA update on my N1 if i don't have/use the data plan of my carrier? Here's ...

Thread: Do I need a data plan for Froyo OTA update?

Do I need a data plan for Froyo OTA update?

Hi

I had a quick question: will i get OTA update on my N1 if i don't have/use the data plan of my carrier?

Here's my case, i have a N1, I've never done anything to it as manually updating it or anything like that. My current OS version is 2.1-update1 with build EPE54B.

Mine is the AT&T version

I have a prepaid A&T plan and it comes with data enabled, so I can use AT&T's 3G network for internet access on my N1 but, since I have this prepaid plan, I have to pay 1 for 1KB downloaded. So imagine that for 1 MB I would have to pay like $10 and there's no way in heaven I'm paying AT&T that so what did I do? Simple, I deleted the APN and now my N1 does not use the 3G network for data anymore.

I have High Speed Internet with Comcast at my place and I use my N1's wi-fi to access the internet on my phone when i'm at home. So given those facts. will I still get the OTA or do I have to update manually?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

No you should be able to get it through Wi-Fi.

Connect to WI-FI. Then, go to your dialer and type in: *#*#2432546#*#*

The numbers will disappear and in a few seconds checkin success should show up in your notification bar.

Then go to settings>about phone> and system updates. If the OTA is available for your IMEI # (phone ID) it will prompt you to download the update.

Google said they are rolling it out this week. So if you can't get it right away you'll have to wait your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by El Daddy View Post

The numbers will disappear and in a few seconds checkin success should show up in your notification bar.

Then go to settings>about phone> and system updates. If the OTA is available for your IMEI # (phone ID) it will prompt you to download the update.

Google said they are rolling it out this week. So if you can't get it right away you'll have to wait your turn.
    No clue why you'd go that route.

Get on your PC, find the links, download the official update, rename it, put on your storage card, follow the instructions, and 10 minutes later you have 2.2. No unlocking of bootloader, no rooting, nothing. It's the official update. I don't see the point in waiting for their servers to give the OK, when you can just download and flash, and stay completely 100% stock with an intact warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Daddy View Post

Get on your PC, find the links, download the official update, rename it, put on your storage card, follow the instructions, and 10 minutes later you have 2.2. No unlocking of bootloader, no rooting, nothing. It's the official update. I don't see the point in waiting for their servers to give the OK, when you can just download and flash, and stay completely 100% stock with an intact warranty.
    I mostly agree, but why even bring the PC into the picture?

Just download it straight to the phone using Wifi. You might need to use a market app to rename the file, but you should have one of those already.

@demiurge
    could u provide the links if u know???

Hey,

Ok I downloaded the update, i found the link some where here in this forum. I renamed the file, copied it to the SD card, turned off the phone and turned it on again. I followed the instructions on the Home page of this forum on how to update the phone and BAM! now I have Froyo running on my phone. Sweeet!

Getting them now, just a second man.

ETA: OK, I usually do everything on XDA, and I hope no one gets pissy for me linking to there. No offense to anyone, but I know that place a lot better, and find the information to generally be pretty reliable and trustworthy.

Get this file: http://android.clients.google.com/pa...B.75b107d6.zip

Goddamn XDA being slow as molasses.

Download that and rename it so it's update.zip (and as it's a .zip file, just rename it update. You don't want it to be update.zip.zip)

And here's the install instructions, courtesy of the slow as hell XDA: FRF85B OTA on its way - Page 13 - xda-developers

Put it at the root of your SD-Card and then turn off the phone.

Hold down the volume down button and then press the power on button, it should go into a boot screen. Wait for a few seconds for it to load up proper and then select "Recovery" with the volume down/up button and press the power button.

Once you see an android holding a sign with an exclamation mark push volume down+ volume up + power button _at the same time_.

Select "apply sdcard:update.zip"(or something similiar) with the trackball and press it.

After the update is finished select "reboot system now" with the trackball and press it.

Wait for it to reboot, it can take a long time mind you.

That should be the whole procedure
    I didn't have to select reboot, it just did that on it's own.

Whole process took me about 15 minutes. If you click on something, let the phone do it's thing, and don't effing touch it, until the next screen comes up where the instructions say to click something. Then you can scroll/click. Then put it down and play with your dog or something.

ETA: The volume up + volume down + power was tricky for me. Kept trying, holding it longer, doing this, doing that, whatever. It will work, just be patient. Don't give up, don't think you've messed anything up or that it won't work. Follow instructions to the T, be patient and persistent, and DON'T DO ANYTHING NOT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Quote Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
    A clue - It was fun to get the OTA when update-1 came out.

But I didn't wait last night when I saw the traffic about the update. I went ahead and did the manual update. Worked fine. My phone was busy sync'ing something, but everything is in place. Flash LED works. I've seen my rollerball blink different colors. Added signatures to my emails.

All sorts of little new things to play with. :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links