Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

This is a discussion on Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Just found this article in the Guardian that kind of in a round about way says that Voda is not entirely happy with the Froyo ...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

Guardian Article

Just found this article in the Guardian that kind of in a round about way says that Voda is not entirely happy with the Froyo upgrade, I think it is the tethering that they are not happy with, they even state that they are:

getting approval for their own version of Android 2.2
    The key features of the latest Android software update | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Hope that this is not the case, however have spoken to colleague at Google and he has confirmed that once we have the official signed Google update that will be it, we will be able to use any further generic updates, with all other users, if Voda want to stop us doing that they will have to produce an upgrade with a different version number, so we will have to see if they do that. Still no update here, can remember that bloody forced update login blindfold now, LOL, will immediately post if I know anything.

Kind Regards - Ashe

Tethering is the main reason for he introduction of the data cap.

I was on O2 with unlimited data with an iPhone 3G for 2 years and used unofficial tethering for a great deal of that time. Carriers quickly latched onto this potential abuse (by all of their customers, not just me .....) and one-by-one eliminated 'unlimited' and introduced the caps.

VF are good with their 1Gig per month cap. You'd have to be downloading crazy-sized files while tethered to get near that. So while tethering *used* to be frowned upon by carriers, they have positioned themselves very well to not have to deal with it. It is now your choice how you use your data quota - and you'll pay for any extra once you go over your allowance........

Wink It's good to talk.

Thanks for these replies, it somewhat elevates the monotony of this stupid wait, I totally agree and hope that in reality Vodafone do not try to bring out there own version number of Froyo, I don't think that they ever would because there would be an outcry and everyone would just simply unlock and root their N1's, in protest, so they can have a generic version of Froyo.

I think you are totally right and we will see a fully open generic update to Froyo by last thing this week or first thing next week and Vodafone will just have to come to terms with open source software freedom at long last. Don't know why Vodafone had to have there own version number in the first place.

Hope to post again soon with better news,

Kind Regards - Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by @DavidWaltonUK View Post
    Google push signed files to phones by polling them. If your phone is connected only to a cell (3G, Edge, GPRS), then the network will carry the update from Google to your phone. But it is not dependent on the network carrier approving or re-releasing the file. It is direct from Google, delivered to your handset using your phone's network.

And I've not yet experienced this, but I suspect that the phone will also receive/download pushed update files via WiFi too if they are connected to the internet (which they will be, as the N1 is very 'push'-data-friendly)

The push system will be;
    Google will announce to the internet 'Hey, any Nexus Ones out there running EPF21B?" and your handset will reply with "Me, Me!". Google will then say, "OK, here's a new file to receive" and push it to your handset. Your handset will then receive the file (or a notification that the file is available) and then notify you to download and/or install it.

Very, very simple. I've been waiting since Google I/O for my update and checking in every day (*#*#checkin#*#*) to try & force my handset to upgrade OTA. But sadly, there'll be no OTA (or manual) update until Google begin to push the signed update file for EPF21B handsets.
    Ahah... Brilliant post mate! ... Especially the bolded part! :D

I'm in Portugal on a local carrier (not Vodafone), on stock EPF21B and eagerly waiting for the FroYo OTA, too.

Cheers!

I'm in Italy with Vodafone and running EPF30, I think that "EPF" is just the name of the generic versions for Europe, not related to a specific Operator...

See here for an explanation of the various versions of Stock N1 Eclair ROMS;

10/May ERD79 -> EPF21B - Stock ROM for Nexus One images / zip / online kitchen (optional root / insecure / himem) - Android @ MoDaCo

There's also the amazing 'Kitchen' where you can specify what is included in a ROM and what isn't, and create your own (2.1) ROM from it! Outstanding.....

Mind you, with everyone grabbing for Froyo, this may be outdated sooner rather than later.

See here for an explanation of the various versions of Stock N1 Eclair ROMS;

10/May ERD79 -> EPF21B - Stock ROM for Nexus One images / zip / online kitchen (optional root / insecure / himem) - Android @ MoDaCo

There's also the amazing 'Kitchen' where you can specify what is included in a ROM and what isn't, and create your own (2.1) ROM from it! Outstanding.....

Mind you, with everyone grabbing for Froyo, this may be outdated sooner rather than later.
    I like that - create your own Eclair in the kitchen!

I keep seeing 'update with radio rom' on these sites. What does that mean?

[quote=Floogle;61516]
    I keep seeing 'update with radio rom' on these sites. What does that mean?
    The 'radio' part of a ROM is the part that controls the GSM radio - essential for the handset to work as a phone. But as the radio firmware resides in a different part of the circuit, it is possible to upgrade the O/S without upgrading the radio also. ROM upgrades usually do the whole lot because this is simple and keeps everyone on the same platform level. As far as consumers are concerned, there is no differentiation between O/S ROM and radio ROM - it is just one all-encompassing ROM. But in some cases, especially at a serious customisation level (hack.....) it may be advantageous to upgrade the O/S but leave the 'radio' version alone.

Check this out folks.... wondered how long it would take :-(

Google Nexus One - Android 2.2 - Froyo! - Vodafone eForum - Page 8

The manual update to Froyo FRF85B can be achieved only by unlocking the bootloader

European Nexus One - How To Install 2.2 (FRF85B) - Android Forums

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links