Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

This is a discussion on Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Quick Update, had a chat, to a senior member of Vodafone, technical Staff, (I am a Tech journalist, so they pretty much had to give ...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

Talked to Vodafone

Quick Update, had a chat, to a senior member of Vodafone, technical Staff, (I am a Tech journalist, so they pretty much had to give me the definitive answer), it now comes to light that they are extensively fiddling around with all kinds of things in the Froyo upgrade and also delaying the launch because of, problems with Data allowances on their tariffs, they also gave me the BS line that it was also so you could actually make Emergency 999 Calls, so with this and to test this claim, I manually upgraded to Froyo, FRF91 and guess what, it all works perfectly including Emergency calls.

I have spoken to others who have the same experience, Vodafone are not liking the loss of control with Android and the Nexus one and don't quite know how to cope with it, apparently internally their are many conflicting messages.

My advice now, to hell with it, just manually upgrade to Froyo, I spoke to HTC Europe before upgrading and Laura Sheen personally sent me a letter confirming that in light of my Journalistic status and the current poor situation with Vodafone, yes they recognise it to, that HTC would personally support my warranty and any problems with my N1 should I have any, if I manually unlocked and upgraded my Nexus One to Froyo, FRF91.

Would be glad to answer any other questions now, should you have any, Kind Regards & Best of Luck - Ashe.

Quote Originally Posted by itbloke View Post
    Quick Update, had a chat, to a senior member of Vodafone, technical Staff, (I am a Tech journalist, so they pretty much had to give me the definitive answer), it now comes to light that they are extensively fiddling around with all kinds of things in the Froyo upgrade and also delaying the launch because of, problems with Data allowances on their tariffs, they also gave me the BS line that it was also so you could actually make Emergency 999 Calls, so with this and to test this claim, I manually upgraded to Froyo, FRF91 and guess what, it all works perfectly including Emergency calls.

I have spoken to others who have the same experience, Vodafone are not liking the loss of control with Android and the Nexus one and don't quite know how to cope with it, apparently internally their are many conflicting messages.

My advice now, to hell with it, just manually upgrade to Froyo, I spoke to HTC Europe before upgrading and Laura Sheen personally sent me a letter confirming that in light of my Journalistic status and the current poor situation with Vodafone, yes they recognise it to, that HTC would personally support my warranty and any problems with my N1 should I have any, if I manually unlocked and upgraded my Nexus One to Froyo, FRF91.

Would be glad to answer any other questions now, should you have any, Kind Regards & Best of Luck - Ashe.
    Interesting news Ashe,

Are HTC saying that they will support the Warranty for everyone on Vodafone that updates manually or just yourself?

Would be interested to know since i updated manually for FRF91

TIA
    Andy

man awesome explanation now I understand Thanks

Anyone considering manually upgrading I would urge you to do it!

I upgraded from EPF21B to Froyo yesterday and it only took 30 minutes or so thanks to the numerous guides on the web. Most nerve racking part was flashing a US ROM prior to Froyo update, but once that was out of the way it was plain sailing.

I must admit I haven't tried dialling 999 although everything works on my phone as before and the new features, such as bluetooth voice dialling and chrome to phone are great!

Quote Originally Posted by warren View Post
    Anyone considering manually upgrading I would urge you to do it!

I upgraded from EPF21B to Froyo yesterday and it only took 30 minutes or so thanks to the numerous guides on the web. Most nerve racking part was flashing a US ROM prior to Froyo update, but once that was out of the way it was plain sailing.

I must admit I haven't tried dialling 999 although everything works on my phone as before and the new features, such as bluetooth voice dialling and chrome to phone are great!
    First of all big shout out to itbloke for contacting vodafone and actually getting some useful information!

Warren, could you post a link to how you unlocked your bootloader? Also, which us version did you initially flash to. I'm hoping we can create a pointer on this thread for vodafone users to update manually.

I'm going to update manually myself now. I can't believe they are going to improve anything in our froyo experience, they are just going to restrict...

Does manually unlocking your phone and updating this way mean that we won't be restricted on any further updates I wonder? If so I think the manual update is the way to go.

Re: Htc

Hi Andy,

I don't know if HTC would extend the same courtesy to anyone else, we tend to do a lot of Word of Mouth Marketing for, a lot of companies so I think, that HTC did not want to upset us in case we gave them some negative press, as regards what should be an entirely open source Google experience phone.

I purchased my Nexus One because of that reason, it's what Google Marketed it as and I don't believe that Vodafone should now be trying to change that.

If they where doing it with the HTC desire then I could somewhat to a certain extent understand it, however, not the Nexus one, I think Vodafone are regretting taking the Nexus One and what it stands for on, as it has caught them out really badly this time, Google should be proud, (LOL) as in a round about way it has achieved what they wanted of the handset, to challenge the mobile networks. I bet hey really won't like it when Skype is eventually released on Android.

Sorry that I can't be of any further assistance, but I hope that this has cleared one or two points up, great work in keeping this thread running, Kind Regards & Best Wishes - Ashe

Interesting news Ashe,

Are HTC saying that they will support the Warranty for everyone on Vodafone that updates manually or just yourself?

Would be interested to know since i updated manually for FRF91

TIA
    Andy

Thanks Ashe,

Fingers crossed that my N1 does not conk out in the next 23 months now allthough from other sources apparently HTC aren't too fussed if they have been unlocked from a warranty standpoint.

RE: Froyo Upgrade.

Dear Andy

Have just spoken to colleague @ HTC they will generally support most general warranty issues on unlocked phones as long as it is not caused by actual physical misuse by the user, how that pans out I don't know, but I want a truly open phone and I am prepared to go with what HTC to attain, this.

This is turning into a real PR Disaster for Vodafone, we are now about to actively start writing stories about this, unless someone from Vodafone, contacts me and gives me the issue from their own personal point of view, there the gauntlet is thrown down, (I doubt that is will be picked up, LOL, I will keep you posted if it is though.)

Andy I really support you in upgrading your phone and hope that it goes as well for you as it did for all of us over here at IT Bloke. On a really positive note, with in an hour of doing our first upgrades, to FRF85B we all where blessed with automatic OTA upgrades to FRF91 security upgrade, that all went as smooth as silk, that now proves that once you are free of the Vodafone shackles you truly can have the Open Source Google experience phone that we where all promised when we brought them.

Once again Kind Regards & Best of Luck with your Upgrade. Ashe.

PS. you might want to post the bit about the UBER Smooth OTA FRF91 upgrade, over at the Vodafone forum, just to shame them even more, it may even get them to comment, after all it was them that said you could not make 999 calls if you upgraded manually, LOL.

hi guys,

the problem you may be having in getting the OTA is due to the carrier as one of post mentioned ..
    so just as a try , why dont u guys remove the sim and put on wifi and then do a checkin for a OTA.
    just a guess .. sorry if i wasted your time !!!

Quote Originally Posted by itbloke View Post
    Dear Andy

Have just spoken to colleague @ HTC they will generally support most general warranty issues on unlocked phones as long as it is not caused by actual physical misuse by the user, how that pans out I don't know, but I want a truly open phone and I am prepared to go with what HTC to attain, this.

This is turning into a real PR Disaster for Vodafone, we are now about to actively start writing stories about this, unless someone from Vodafone, contacts me and gives me the issue from their own personal point of view, there the gauntlet is thrown down, (I doubt that is will be picked up, LOL, I will keep you posted if it is though.)

Andy I really support you in upgrading your phone and hope that it goes as well for you as it did for all of us over here at IT Bloke. On a really positive note, with in an hour of doing our first upgrades, to FRF85B we all where blessed with automatic OTA upgrades to FRF91 security upgrade, that all went as smooth as silk, that now proves that once you are free of the Vodafone shackles you truly can have the Open Source Google experience phone that we where all promised when we brought them.

Once again Kind Regards & Best of Luck with your Upgrade. Ashe.

PS. you might want to post the bit about the UBER Smooth OTA FRF91 upgrade, over at the Vodafone forum, just to shame them even more, it may even get them to comment, after all it was them that said you could not make 999 calls if you upgraded manually, LOL.
    Hi Ashe,

Thanks for the feedback, it is quite reassuring that HTC will honour the warranty even though most people have only rooted and updated so that they can get what they actually sold by Vodafone.

Having had loads of branded VF handsets over the years, when i got the chance to get a N1 I thought it was great because there was no branding whatsoever.

Still, very happy with FRF91 and it is also good news that we will probably get the next updates OTA

I will cross post your reply over at the VF Forum as quite a few people were anxious about the warranty implications of rooting and will be pleased to hear the good news from HTC.

Cheers mate
    Andy

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links