Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

This is a discussion on Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi, I'm on Vodafone UK, running EPF21B stock build. Got excited about the official release today of Froyo FRF85B, so went to download it. I ...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

Any EPF21B builds managed to update to FRF85B?

Hi,

I'm on Vodafone UK, running EPF21B stock build. Got excited about the official release today of Froyo FRF85B, so went to download it. I downloaded 3 files from different (but safe) sites to be sure, renamed them update.zip (not .zip.zip), and proceeded to attempt the update.

Got through to the 'update from SD card' bit, and it goes to verify the files, then says something like E: cannot verify signature file, and aborts the installation. it does this with all the files I have tried. Am i missing something here?

perhaps the manual update file doesn't work for the UK. That's why i'd be interested in seeing if there is anyone else in the uk that has successfully managed to update from stock build to FRF85 manually.

If not, i guess i'll have to wait a bit longer for the OTA (sigh). Nice to hear reports from people over the moon with finally getting froyo though.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Same Here:

Hey Chap,

Have done all the things you have and am getting exactly the same message: E:failed to verify whole-file signature, have downloaded: signed-passion-ota-42745.dc39ca1f.zip from three separate reputable sites renamed it, update.zip, note, not update.zip.zip, and have tried all three on three different cleared and reformatted memory cards, and still no luck, is there anyone out there who knows why the hell this thing simply won't work for vodafone customers, I am beginning to think Vodafone has a hand in this because they don't like some of Froyo's new features. Any clues anyone.

Kind Regards Ashe Medforth.

Quote Originally Posted by itbloke View Post
    Hey Chap,

Have done all the things you have and am getting exactly the same message: E:failed to verify whole-file signature, have downloaded: signed-passion-ota-42745.dc39ca1f.zip from three separate reputable sites renamed it, update.zip, note, not update.zip.zip, and have tried all three on three different cleared and reformatted memory cards, and still no luck, is there anyone out there who knows why the hell this thing simply won't work for vodafone customers, I am beginning to think Vodafone has a hand in this because they don't like some of Froyo's new features. Any clues anyone.

Kind Regards Ashe Medforth.
    Thanks for letting me know mate. It's actually quite frustrating to know that froyo is there to be had, but you just can't get it! I really hope vodafone don't have issues with the OTA update...

With you on this one.

Hey Buddy

I am really starting to think that Vodafone have problem with this update, because to be fair, once they have let our update to Froyo FRF85B through there will be no going back, the horse will have bolted so to speak.

From that point on we will be free to upgrade, as we see fit and the same way as everyone else, without all of this fuss, so I think they are making really sure that everything is good to go before they release there approved upgrade into the wild, lets just hope they realise that they are in a no win situation real soon, as this is really starting to get on my nerves, hohum perhaps we will get our OTA tomorrow, lets keep our fingers crossed, Kind Regards Ashe.

Froyo

No update available as of this morning, presume we just wait and hope. Google saying the majority of devices will be updated by the end of the week. Fingers crossed Vodafone don't have a hand in the process.

Froyo

I have had the same experience trying to update my nexus on Vodafone.....
    It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
    I guess we'll just have to wait for ota update...

Meanwhile, if any of us on Vodafone manage to receive the OTA, give a quick post here to let the rest know please (even if its just to see us fume about our lack of froyo!)

This is nothing at all to do with Vodafone. They have no control over this at all.

Google are releasing the OTA update to Nexus One handsets in batches. And while I'm not involved in this release in any way, I'm sure that Google have created update files that are signature-matched to the firmware versions currently installed on handsets running 2.1/2.1-update1 (One new 2.2 version for Google ['virgin versions'], one for AT&T, Rogers, T-Mobile, etc.) All of these versions of handsets currently have different firmware builds. In the UK, the firmware (for Eclair 2.1, Update 1) is EPF21B unless a handset was purchased from Google in the US and imported, in which case these handsets won't be running EPF21B - they'll be running a different version.

The reason people here can't manually update to FRF85B from EPF21B is because the file which has the correct signature for this specific upgrade has not yet been released by Google. Simply put, EPF21B users will have to wait until Google release the file signed for use to upgrade EPF21B to FRF85B.

Google will likely choose US developers first, then they'll go with consumers; the AT&T/T-Mobile US handsets, then the Canadian Rogers, then Vodafone-UK handsets etc. It'll happen quickly though - I expect to receive the OTA by the end of this week and I'm on EPF21B (VF sourced handset)

All good things come to those who wait........:nexusx:

PS> 'itbloke' stated "once they have let our update to Froyo FRF85B through there will be no going back". This may not be the case. Because the update files are signed, the upgrade from EPF21B to FRF85B is a specific file. And if it is version-controlled, there is still fragmentation of Froyo versions between handsets/carriers and Google/Vodafone will be able, if necessary, to track this fragmentation. So while your handset will display FRF85B, it may also be exposing a subset of build information for future manual/OTA upgrade purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by @DavidWaltonUK View Post

The reason people here can't manually update to FRF85B from EPF21B is because the file which has the correct signature for this specific upgrade has not yet been released by Google. Simply put, EPF21B users will have to wait until Google release the file signed for use to upgrade EPF21B to FRF85B.

Google will likely choose US developers first, then they'll go with consumers; the AT&T/T-Mobile US handsets, then the Canadian Rogers, then Vodafone-UK handsets etc. It'll happen quickly though - I expect to receive the OTA by the end of this week and I'm on EPF21B (VF sourced handset)

All good things come to those who wait........:nexusx:

PS> 'itbloke' stated "once they have let our update to Froyo FRF85B through there will be no going back". This may not be the case. Because the update files are signed, the upgrade from EPF21B to FRF85B is a specific file. And if it is version-controlled, there is still fragmentation of Froyo versions between handsets/carriers and Google/Vodafone will be able, if necessary, to track this fragmentation. So while your handset will display FRF85B, it may also be exposing a subset of build information for future manual/OTA upgrade purposes.
    Thxs David, awesome post. I was kind of wondering if the UK was going to be further down on the list of receiving the upgrade, and from your post it looks like this is the case. I tried upgrading to frf50, but got the same result because, as you say, Google haven't released the right update firmware for our build yet.

The OTA still has to come thru the carrier though doesn't it? Or are you saying that vodafone won't be able to have any control over it coming to N1 handsets?

[quote=Floogle;61470]
    Quote Originally Posted by @DavidWaltonUK View Post

The OTA still has to come thru the carrier though doesn't it? Or are you saying that vodafone won't be able to have any control over it coming to N1 handsets?

Google push signed files to phones by polling them. If your phone is connected only to a cell (3G, Edge, GPRS), then the network will carry the update from Google to your phone. But it is not dependent on the network carrier approving or re-releasing the file. It is direct from Google, delivered to your handset using your phone's network.

And I've not yet experienced this, but I suspect that the phone will also receive/download pushed update files via WiFi too if they are connected to the internet (which they will be, as the N1 is very 'push'-data-friendly)

The push system will be;
    Google will announce to the internet 'Hey, any Nexus Ones out there running EPF21B?" and your handset will reply with "Me, Me!". Google will then say, "OK, here's a new file to receive" and push it to your handset. Your handset will then receive the file (or a notification that the file is available) and then notify you to download and/or install it.

Very, very simple. I've been waiting since Google I/O for my update and checking in every day (*#*#checkin#*#*) to try & force my handset to upgrade OTA. But sadly, there'll be no OTA (or manual) update until Google begin to push the signed update file for EPF21B handsets.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links