Why root your nexus one?

This is a discussion on Why root your nexus one? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I've had the phone for almost 3 months now... everywhere i check, forums, youtube, etc... i find people saying, they got a rooted nexus one, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why root your nexus one?

Question Why root your nexus one?

I've had the phone for almost 3 months now... everywhere i check, forums, youtube, etc... i find people saying, they got a rooted nexus one, now what does that really mean?

mine is a stock EPE54B...

whats the advantages and disadvantages of rooting?
    and who should do it and who shouldn't?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by wacrack View Post
    I've had the phone for almost 3 months now... everywhere i check, forums, youtube, etc... i find people saying, they got a rooted nexus one, now what does that really mean?

mine is a stock EPE54B...

whats the advantages and disadvantages of rooting?
    and who should do it and who shouldn't?
    I'm wondering the same thing. I know Cyanogens mod enables to capability to shoot in 720p =)...

Root is unlocking the phone. This gives access to more freedom while using the device.
    Rooting makes it avaible for the phone to install custom ROMs made by normal people. Cyanogen MOD and MoDaCo are 2 people who are making great ROMs/MODs.
    This is called Open-Source or something, Android is a Open-Source OS.

Rooting will void your warranty and to prove that the phone is rooted, the bootloader is unlocked, so if you send the phone to google or htc, they can check if you have voided the warranty, this is the worst step to do while rooting the phone.

I have rooted myself, what I don't like about it is that I wont get the OTA(On the air) updates, like Android 2.2 FroYo FRF85b.
    What I like about rooting is that I can install MODs/ROMs. I've been using MoDaCo's HTC Desire ROM with Sense UI and Cyanogen. Yesterday I went to MoDaCo 2.2 FroYo FRF85 ROM.

-Forge
    I ♥ Ne:nexusx:us One. Got it in February and rooted it in April :] Stock - Desire ROM - Cyanogen MOD - Android 2.2 FroYo

So, apart from voiding your waranty, is there any other downside for applying it??
    And why won't u get OTA updates...

Sorry for havin many questions, still new to rooting...

Quote Originally Posted by Forge View Post
    Rooting will void your warranty and to prove that the phone is rooted, the bootloader is unlocked, so if you send the phone to google or htc, they can check if you have voided the warranty, this is the worst step to do while rooting the phone.
    ... and to prove you unlocked you bootloader, a little open padlock icon will appear under the "X" when you first boot your phone. No one to my knowledge has found a way to relock the bootloader.

Unless you root your phone using the method I did. The folks at XDA have found a way to root the Nexus one without unlocking it's bootloader. I'm cyanogenmod's stable rom now, lots of toys to play with in it such as 360 degree screen rotation, battery life percentage on the battery icon in the taskbar, etc.

I also purchased Rom Manager and with it I can download other roms etc or I can put a "stock" Nexus One unrooted rom back on.

When I first rooted using XDA's method I left my "stock" Froyo rom on for a day or so but I still had superuser abilities. However I found that I could not install the latest Froyo update manually. The install would fail. I'm not sure if this was due to my rooting my N1 or some other problem.

Ok, so the only reasons why I would want to root my phone is to be able to wake my phone with the trackball and to change the colors of the trackball notifications. Also, I heard that the incoming/outgoing call UI looks a lot better with the Cyanogenmod.

Are these reasons worth it the process?

I know there are apps like Flyscreen and Lockbot to enable trackball wake, but honestly, they are all horrible. Way too many bugs and it just seems so "unnatural."

As far as changing the colors of the trackball, Handcent and Gmail Notifier work well but I was hoping for something more integrated.

I really don't understand why Google (or whomever) hasn't changed any of these things. I've seen these exact same requests on forums everywhere but "they" don't seem to listen. /end minor rant

Try NoLock, and Blink...work just fine without rooting.

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Try NoLock, and Blink...work just fine without rooting.
    Mmmmmmmmmm... love me some NoLock

I'm looking at buying a rooted Nexus One to work on the AT&T 3G data bands, and someone I am currently in negotiations with has informed me that rooting unlocks the phone to be used on any data network at 3g speed. Here's the quote from the email"

"Once the phone is rooted it automatically detects what 3G network it needs to operate as. The website will say that there's only a certain read of the phone when you buy it, just like how they say there's only certain features of the phone too. But when rooted the phone opens all uses of the phone that google will never tell you about. So in short I guarantee that everything will be cool.
    If it means anything I have an iPhone 4 too that runs off of AT&T so when I insert my sim card to the gone it works exactly the same. Right now, I have the nexus running with tmobile cause i don't wanna cut my tmobile sim card to have it run my iPhone 4.....it's pointless when i already have 2 carriers"

I was under the impression that rooted or non, if you didn't get the one that operates on UMTS band 2 and 5 for data, as opposed to 4/AWS, that was a hardware difference between the units, and the phone made for Tmobile cannot be made to go any faster than EDGE on networks that use UMTS 2&5

Thanks in advance guys!

Quote Originally Posted by sh0nuff View Post
    I'm looking at buying a rooted Nexus One to work on the AT&T 3G data bands, and someone I am currently in negotiations with has informed me that rooting unlocks the phone to be used on any data network at 3g speed. Here's the quote from the email"

"Once the phone is rooted it automatically detects what 3G network it needs to operate as. The website will say that there's only a certain read of the phone when you buy it, just like how they say there's only certain features of the phone too. But when rooted the phone opens all uses of the phone that google will never tell you about. So in short I guarantee that everything will be cool.
    If it means anything I have an iPhone 4 too that runs off of AT&T so when I insert my sim card to the gone it works exactly the same. Right now, I have the nexus running with tmobile cause i don't wanna cut my tmobile sim card to have it run my iPhone 4.....it's pointless when i already have 2 carriers"

I was under the impression that rooted or non, if you didn't get the one that operates on UMTS band 2 and 5 for data, as opposed to 4/AWS, that was a hardware difference between the units, and the phone made for Tmobile cannot be made to go any faster than EDGE on networks that use UMTS 2&5

Thanks in advance guys!
    the way you worded this is very confusing. are you asking a question? what's the thanks in advance? what i think you're trying to say is, is the quote true? this is the first time i'm hearing it and i believe it's hardware related, and tmobile will never run on att 3g and vice versa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links