Froyo to UK Vodafone Users (bad news)

This is a discussion on Froyo to UK Vodafone Users (bad news) within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; ...a bit of bad news, looks like Vodafone UK will be rolling out their own version of Froyo to Nexus 1 users (i.e. you won't ...

Thread: Froyo to UK Vodafone Users (bad news)

Froyo to UK Vodafone Users (bad news)

...a bit of bad news, looks like Vodafone UK will be rolling out their own version of Froyo to Nexus 1 users (i.e. you won't get the OTA from Google, but from Vodafone).

Per Guardian article, we will be getting it "in due course", not by the end of the week as promised by Google!

The relevant part of the article....

Vodafone told the Guardian that it is in the process of getting approval of its own version of Android 2.2, and that the software upgrade will be rolled out to customers in due course. The mobile network also encouraged those planning to make use of Froyo's tethering capabilities to consider signing up to a Vodafone price plan, saying that 3G tethering would eat into a user's data tariff.

Full link...
    The key features of the latest Android software update | Technology | guardian.co.uk

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

This caveat will likely apply to all VF branded handsets (Legend, Desire, etc) which run non-stock Android - basically HTC Sense. While these handsets may actually be unbranded (the Legend for example boots with VF splash screen, but is actually unlocked!), because they run Sense UI, they are at the mercy of HTC to update Sense to work with/on top of Froyo.

HTC have confirmed that they will support a 2.2 version of Sense which is due to be released later this year. Carriers like VF will be in on this I'm sure.

But the Nexus One handset is totally unlocked and unbranded and the release of Froyo is controlled directly by Google. The carrier (VF for example) have no control over it.

Quote Originally Posted by @DavidWaltonUK View Post

But the Nexus One handset is totally unlocked and unbranded and the release of Froyo is controlled directly by Google. The carrier (VF for example) have no control over it.
    I hope you're right, cause what your saying here contradicts the Guardian article. Only time will tell I suppose. If we (UK Vodafone users) don't get the update by the end of the week, looks like we'll be waiting for Vodafone to issue the release.

Also if you read the comments section under the article the author specifically talks about Nexus One (comment at 29 Jun 2010, 8:59PM).
    Quoted here "Vodafone were referring specifically to the Nexus One when they spoke to me earlier - apologies, should have made it more explicit".

Why not just download the updates and upgrade yourselves? It's super simple, doesn't require "rooting" or anything, and only takes a few minutes of time.

Are the updates country specific or something?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Why not just download the updates and upgrade yourselves? It's super simple, doesn't require "rooting" or anything, and only takes a few minutes of time.
    Because if you're on Build EPF21B you can't. See this thread...

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...te-frf85b.html

I have a UK Vodafone Nexus one, but it has Build Number EPF30. Does anyone know if the download will work for that?
    Reading the comments above if I have a UK Vodafone Nexus one shouldn't I have EPF21B? Wonder why I've got EPF30.

Thanks
    Arndale

I bought my N1 in the States and have been running on T-Mo till recently changing to Voda for a much better sim only deal.

I guess Voda could block access to Google's update server or something. (Is it possible to update over WiFi?). Think I'll periodically try my PAYG 3 sim, just in case Voda are indeed blocking Google's update in lieu of their own.

Checking twitter for "uk froyo" shows that a fair few UK users have been getting their updates since this week's announcement.

Anyone who bought their N1 out of contract and are on Voda got their update?

I've also got EPF30 but bought the phone from Uniquebe Limited. I'm currently using T-Mobile though, not Vodaphone...or is vodaphone something else?

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links