Does Froyo 2.2 FRF83 come with an FM Radio?

This is a discussion on Does Froyo 2.2 FRF83 come with an FM Radio? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I read somewhere that Froyo comes with an FM Radio. I was wondering how do you access it? Is it an app you download from ...

Thread: Does Froyo 2.2 FRF83 come with an FM Radio?

Does Froyo 2.2 FRF83 come with an FM Radio?

I read somewhere that Froyo comes with an FM Radio. I was wondering how do you access it? Is it an app you download from market? Also is it a FM Receiver or Transmitter?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

No.
    there is somebody out there working on enabling the chipset, but so far no one has figured out how to do it yet, or even if it's possible. There is no confirmation that HTC included the hardware necessary to use the chipset in the n1. And Google is not working on it as far as anyone knows.

There are proof that N1 has FM receiver hardware, but no software or app yet.

Ok thanks, wanted to verify that

Yes, it is known that the chip is on the n1. Is it also proven that all the wiring that is necessary to use the chip is in the phone? (i.e. antenna connection, speaker connection, etc. etc. )

Do you know if it is supposed to a FM Receiver or Transmitter?

Quote Originally Posted by Zehlek View Post
    Do you know if it is supposed to a FM Receiver or Transmitter?
    Nobody knows.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    Yes, it is known that the chip is on the n1. Is it also proven that all the wiring that is necessary to use the chip is in the phone? (i.e. antenna connection, speaker connection, etc. etc. )
    That's the $10,000 question

I would prefer both... but if I had a choice I would go with and want the FM Tranmiter. That way I could just link my phone to any FM stereo and be able to stream my music through it without having to buy any add-ons or having any cluttering wires. Can you imagine? Just getting in your car... clicking a few switchs (widgets) and your off listening to your music in your vechicle without any hassles. Possibly even letting you use your speakers as an extra loud speaker phone or even having the Google Maps Navigation directions coming through them? That would be Awesome! Lets just hope this is all true and Google still continues to surprise use with added features that can take our phone to a whole new level with Gingerbread. If this FM chip is really in the phone I would assume Google wanted it there for a reason and hopefully this was the plan all along... open up the phone and add new life to it with software updates. Its good to see other countries just now getting the Nexus One. To me, while other phones are catching up to the Nexus One fast in terms of hardware specs, this will help prolong the life of it for at least another year or two (hopefully even longer so long as it can support the latest O/S). While a 2Ghz phone sounds amazing with a 10MP camera (WOW) do we really need that? I mean even 1Ghz is almost too much for a phone. Yes I love high end devices... but if there is a phone with those specs I HIGHLY doubt the battery would last even a half a day. The battery would probably die after taking a few pictures or filming a short video clip. Ok... enough with my hopes and theories... where is my Froyo!? LOL

JBL, I'd like the FM transmitter also, but they are not entirely "hassle free". Unless you live in a very rural area, interference an almost constant problem in a moving vehicle.

Also, it's not unusual for makers to include chips but only use some features. The chips that has the FM transmitter also does all of the other radio stuff and may not have even intended to be used with the FM part. Google has never, to my knowledge, said anything one way or another about FM in the Nexus One.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links