"Newbie" question about teathering..

This is a discussion on "Newbie" question about teathering.. within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Does it cost money to use this feature on T-Mobile? *tethering sorry I spelled it wrong in the title.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: "Newbie" question about teathering..

  1. #1
    Senior Member Gone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    268

    "Newbie" question about teathering..

    Does it cost money to use this feature on T-Mobile?

    *tethering sorry I spelled it wrong in the title..

  2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

  3. #2
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Tethering is included for TMO, but recall there is a 5GB data cap (not truly unlimited) so it will not be a high-speed internet replacement for home. Occasional travel w/ laptop tether should be fine.

  4. #3
    Senior Member tonybhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    981
    alphawave i dont understand the whole tethering thing,i can grasp if your not in a wifi zone you can use your phone,but why bother tethering is it just to see your emails and stuff on your laptop screen,when im home i use my lappy and when im out and about i just use my n1

  5. #4
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    alphawave i dont understand the whole tethering thing,i can grasp if your not in a wifi zone you can use your phone,but why bother tethering is it just to see your emails and stuff on your laptop screen,when im home i use my lappy and when im out and about i just use my n1
    Sometimes you need the full internet experience on the go..I use online accounting software, for example, which cannot be used on the N1, but can on my netbook, when tethered to an internet connection. That allows me to send invoices via email right at the clients locale. Just one of many examples..there are too many to list! Naturally, I'm VERY excited about the HSPA+ rollout!

  6. #5
    Senior Member tonybhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    981
    aaggh so its more like a good business tool,not for your casual net person like myself who just browses forums and such on my phone

  7. #6
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    aaggh so its more like a good business tool,not for your casual net person like myself who just browses forums and such on my phone
    Sure..and conducting business, like making secure purchases, plane tickets, concerts (Ticketmaster's site would be difficult to manage on the N1, if at all, I haven't tried it!)...some basic Paypal and mobile banking I'll do on the N1, but when I MUST do the transaction right, I prefer tethered if I'm mobile. This is really a failing of those sites, however, to provide a suitable mobile environment.

  8. #7
    Senior Member tonybhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    981
    would for instance,buying a plane ticket use more data when tethered rather than just using your phone as i imagine your going to the full website,i'm getting intrigued but only have 500mb data plan which is good for a phone but not for laptop???

  9. #8
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    would for instance,buying a plane ticket use more data when tethered rather than just using your phone as i imagine your going to the full website,i'm getting intrigued but only have 500mb data plan which is good for a phone but not for laptop???
    Most certainly. The graphics of a full site use much more than a mobile version...still, when a mission-critical event is on the line, the data is worth it...that's why I bought it in the first place. Most of my data usage is from extraneous audio and video streaming...not tethered surfing. Perhaps I need to find a decent data meter in the market...anyone know of one?

  10. #9
    Senior Member tonybhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    would for instance,buying a plane ticket use more data when tethered rather than just using your phone as i imagine your going to the full website,i'm getting intrigued but only have 500mb data plan which is good for a phone but not for laptop???
    Most certainly. The graphics of a full site use much more than a mobile version...still, when a mission-critical event is on the line, the data is worth it...that's why I bought it in the first place. Most of my data usage is from extraneous audio and video streaming...not tethered surfing. Perhaps I need to find a decent data meter in the market...anyone know of one?
    i use netcounter,have you tried that

  11. #10
    Android Addict alphawave7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    609
    Thanked
    62 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post
    would for instance,buying a plane ticket use more data when tethered rather than just using your phone as i imagine your going to the full website,i'm getting intrigued but only have 500mb data plan which is good for a phone but not for laptop???
    Most certainly. The graphics of a full site use much more than a mobile version...still, when a mission-critical event is on the line, the data is worth it...that's why I bought it in the first place. Most of my data usage is from extraneous audio and video streaming...not tethered surfing. Perhaps I need to find a decent data meter in the market...anyone know of one?
    i use netcounter,have you tried that
    Nope...I haven't worried about data at all, but now I'm curious! Will give it a go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Ok..finally need some help.
    By androidlover in forum Samsung Galaxy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 05:25 AM
Android Forum