Froyo 2.2/ to root or not to root

This is a discussion on Froyo 2.2/ to root or not to root within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I just recieved my froyo ota yesterday... but i want more freedoms with my phone so is it wise to root my phone now that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froyo 2.2/ to root or not to root

Froyo 2.2/ to root or not to root

I just recieved my froyo ota yesterday... but i want more freedoms with my phone so is it wise to root my phone now that i just updated my n1.... thanks for reading

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooot

i know i want to so bad.... i want the color trackball.... but i just want to be sure rooting now wont interfere with my new update

Trackball colors can be utilized via an app called Blink in the market.

So what would really be the advantage of rooting...?

TBH, I can't really see any. The attraction of different themes and such just isn't that great to me. I've been able to do pretty much anything I want in stock FroYo.

Besides, I find most of the ROM developers to be incredibly arrogant, and I'm just not interested in supporting any of them at present. Some who follow DF may know why I feel this way.

I lived with a rooted android almost since the Magic came out. I'm holding off with my N1, especially with Froyo. I'm not against it, but I would say: do NOT let anyone push you into it thinking that somehow your life will be brighter, honey tastes sweeter and the toast always falls with the butter side up once you root. It simply ain't so. Do it because you're genuinely interested in hacking around with your phone, or there's a very specific issue that you really *need* to have addressed(for example, Dream users I would argue 'needed' to root if they were power users - the memory restrictions were simply too great). Be prepared to do regular updates, to have things here and there not working properly, and yes, to have some splatters of awesome. Just don't be made to feel that you're somehow being left out. For example, some report better battery usage...but if you end up recharging your phone once a day anyway, what does it matter if it says 20% or 40% when you plug it in?

I realize I sound down on it, but really I'm not. If spending a good portion of your time fiddling with your phone, hacking around, learning about it is something that interests you, go for it. It really can be worth it on that level. OTOH, if you're expecting a new chapter opening up in your life, look elsewhere. Don't be pressured.

DT

Sage advice, DThor

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beerholder

no need to root since going to the nexus from the g 1

Quote Originally Posted by DThor View Post
    I lived with a rooted android almost since the Magic came out. I'm holding off with my N1, especially with Froyo. I'm not against it, but I would say: do NOT let anyone push you into it thinking that somehow your life will be brighter, honey tastes sweeter and the toast always falls with the butter side up once you root. It simply ain't so. Do it because you're genuinely interested in hacking around with your phone, or there's a very specific issue that you really *need* to have addressed(for example, Dream users I would argue 'needed' to root if they were power users - the memory restrictions were simply too great). Be prepared to do regular updates, to have things here and there not working properly, and yes, to have some splatters of awesome. Just don't be made to feel that you're somehow being left out. For example, some report better battery usage...but if you end up recharging your phone once a day anyway, what does it matter if it says 20% or 40% when you plug it in?

I realize I sound down on it, but really I'm not. If spending a good portion of your time fiddling with your phone, hacking around, learning about it is something that interests you, go for it. It really can be worth it on that level. OTOH, if you're expecting a new chapter opening up in your life, look elsewhere. Don't be pressured.

DT
    Advice this great NEEDS to be quoted for truth

For the record, I rooted, love it, I'm changing/updating/trying ROMs and features all the time. But if you want a phone that -cough- "just works" -cough-, stay with stock
    My sigs keep getting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links