Concise guide for manually updating EPF21B / EPF030 builds to frf91

This is a discussion on Concise guide for manually updating EPF21B / EPF030 builds to frf91 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I would like to acknowledge Bzuuuuu for his excellent help on creating this guide, i have expanded where i felt newbs to the update process ...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Concise guide for manually updating EPF21B / EPF030 builds to frf91

Froyo on Vodafone: Concise guide to manually updating EPF21B / EPF030 builds to frf91

I would like to acknowledge Bzuuuuu for his excellent help on creating this guide, i have expanded where i felt newbs to the update process could benefit. thanks.

1. First you need to unlock the bootloader.

This will invalidate your warranty, make sure you are aware of implications.
    Point to note - this process will erase all your settings (contacts etc) so back them up. It won't erase your stuff on the SD card.

Copy the file "signed-passion-ota-42745.dc39ca1f.zip" to the root of your SD card, and rename it to update.zip - i am currently searching for a decent link for the above frf85 update file, as google have removed it from their servers. if anyone has a good link, let me know. ---- 05/07/10 You can download it from my dropbox, click here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8820206/update.zip

* point to note - when you rename the update to put on your SD card, rename it update.zip, not update.zip.zip. if you see the file icon on your pc has a zip in the middle, it is already known as a. zip file and you can rename it simply 'update'.

a) Install android sdk and USB drivers.
    Download android sdk here: Android SDK | Android Developers

b) Run sdk setup.exe and select the required components by clicking on 'android sdk tools'. You only need to install these folowing components, everything else will just delay the process: 'sdk platform android 2.1' & 'usb driver package revision 3'. Tick these! Make all the other ones crosses.

c) Once android sdk and USB drivers are installed you need to make sure your computer recognizes your nexus 1 device.

d) Connect your phone to the computer. leave it connected for the entire process.

e) Power off your phone and then press the power button while holding down the track ball button. You should boot into the phone's 'bootloader'. If you see a bunch of android characters on skateboards you are in the right place. Leave the phone on this screen.

f) Go to device manager on your computer and check there is no yellow warning triangle against your android device. Check it recognizes your device, if it doesn't then right click, update driver, and tell it to search in the USB drivers folder of your android sdk directory.** it might be worth doing this anyway, if you have a problem at the dos prompt in step (k). **

g) Go to your android sdk directory tools folder (mine was in C:android--->android-windows-sdk--->tools), and check there is the following files: fastboot.exe & AdbWinApi.dll. if there is, go to next step. If not, download them here and place them in the tools folder of your android sdk:

Fastboot.exe: http://www.romraid.com/paul/fastboot.zip - extract all files from folder, then take fastboot.exe out and place it in your android sdk tools folder.

AdbWinApi.dll: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8820206/AdbWinApi.dll

h) Open up a dos command prompt, by clicking start --> run for winXp (start---> search programs and files for win7), then typing cmd into the dos prompt.

i) Once in the command prompt, change directory (by typing cd c:\) to where you saved the android sdk folder in step (b) above. On my dos prompt i had to type: cd c:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools. press enter. Now type fastboot devices. this will confirm your nexus is attached and the right drivers are installed.

j) Now you should still be in the directory c:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools>. If you're not, enter it again in the dos prompt and press enter. Now type fastboot oem unlock. If this doesn't work, try typing command prompt: fastboot-windows oem unlock.
    * if you have a Mac - fastboot-mac oem unlock

k) If your phone connects you should see a different screen on your phone, that explains its policy on unlocking the bootloader. Select yes to unlock bootloader by pressing volume up button and selecting with power button.
    Congratulations, you have just unlocked the bootloader on your nexus 1!

Now is a good time to erase your data on the phone manually, in order to prepare the phone to properly receive your manual update. power up your phone if it isn't on, then go to settings---> privacy---> factory data reset.

2. flash recovery image from a different stock build ERD79

a) Download ERD79 recovery image: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8820206/recovery.img

b) Place the recovery.img file into the 'android sdk tools' folder on your computer - *this is important*

c) Put your phone in bootloader again by powering off, then holding trackball button and power button at the same time.

d) On your pc, open a dos prompt by clicking start ---> run---> then type cmd.

e) Once in the command prompt, change directory (by typing cd c:\) to where you saved the android sdk folder in step 1 (b). On my dos prompt i had to type: cd c:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools. press enter.

f) Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

g) it should start the process. don't worry about any failed messages on the dos prompt, it will say that anyway.

h) Power-off your Nexus One. Boot into fastboot by holding down the tracker ball and then pressing on the power button.

i) Choose "BOOTLOADER" by pressing the power button. This should then show you a screen with *** UNLOCKED *** in the top left corner.

j) Press Volume Down button, so you highlight "RECOVERY" and press the Power Button. You should seen the X logo with the unlocked padlock beneath, shortly followed by a triangle with an exclamation mark and a small green android to the bottom right.

k) Now press at the same time Power Button and Volume up. You should now be presented with the "Android system recovery <3e>" page

l) First, do a "wipe cache partition", then do a "wipe data/factory reset".

m) Finally: "apply sdcard:update.zip"... It will take a few minutes and will reboot a couple of times.

Ta-daaaaaaaaaaa... FroYo 2.2 FRF85B! :D

Then wait for approx 5 mins - 1day for the frf91 OTA to come in your notifications!

Let me know if there is any way i can improve on this guide.

For historical discussion which led to this guide: http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...te-frf85b.html

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Just one thing, when copying the update.zip to the sd card, rename it to update only as windows adds the .zip when its transferred to the card. Otherwise it will be called update.zip.zip. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but read this on another forum and it happened to me......

Nice Instruction though Floogle, could of done with these 2 days ago lol after scouring the forums for a day:rofl3:

Quote Originally Posted by jonsmith709 View Post
    Just one thing, when copying the update.zip to the sd card, rename it to update only as windows adds the .zip when its transferred to the card. Otherwise it will be called update.zip.zip. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but
    read this on another forum and it happened to me......
    Thanks Jon I will update the guide.

Nice Instruction though Floogle, could of done with these 2 days ago lol after scouring the forums for a day:rofl3
    I know, I know - spent ages myself trying to decipher some of the postings on various forums about this. Hope it may be of use to anyone wanting to break from the shackles of vodafone!

Thanks, Floogle! We all appreciate the effort you put into this. This is the kind of thing that makes these fora so awesome. Kudos, sir.

Sorry to be a pain but after downloading Android SDK I try to run the setup and this message appears, Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/re...repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings.

Is this normal?

Great guide mate makes it seem a bit easier. i am still waiting to do this but i cant find a working download link, like you have stated google have taken it off.

why cant vodafone just let us have the ota update pffffffffff.

ps. what other stuff would you suggest backing up, just the contacts ?? so you could just copy them to the sd card and it would be ok when you put it back in.

Fantastic job!!!

You will forever be known as SIR FLOOGLE!

I think maybe add some bit about Vodaphone and FroYo in the title, the bots will pick it up better when someone searches for those terms. :D

MANY THANKS for taking the time to do this! VERY impressed!

edit:" FroYo on Vodaphone: A Concise...."

I must have tried 5 times and it kept coming up with the same msg? Anyway on the next attempt it's doing it!!!

Sorry again.

Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    Sorry to be a pain but after downloading Android SDK I try to run the setup and this message appears, Failed to fetch URL https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/re...repository.xml, reason: HTTPS SSL error. You might want to force download through HTTP in the settings.

Is this normal?
    Right, I seem to remember having that problem too. I'm at work at the mo, I'll invest and get back to you...

Have sorted that problem, just struggling to find signed-passion-ota-42745.dc39ca1f.zip

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links