n1 can't register on at&t network

This is a discussion on n1 can't register on at&t network within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; This is interesting Maris. I use AT&T and had my phone set to "automatic". However, when I went to another state, I could not get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: n1 can't register on at&t network

This is interesting Maris. I use AT&T and had my phone set to "automatic". However, when I went to another state, I could not get connected (even though the local network that it found was labeled "AT&T"). I had to manually tell the phone to connect to AT&T. Then it worked. That was strange. When I got home still connected to the previous network with no problem.

Hmm, I have my roaming options checked and select automatically, and it's the 500 even more plus plan so it's free roaming, long distance, data roaming, etc. Then perhaps my problem is that AT&T thinks I'm in a T-Mobile area and won't let me connect despite only AT&T appearing on my list of available networks.

This is annoying since it implies I won't be able to connect to AT&T anywhere Tmobile, or is it AT&T, thinks I should have Tmobile service, and I expect significant portions of my usual haunts in the US will fall into this category.

I know that Maris said that T-Mobile told him that they have an agreement with AT&T, but I doubt that. They are competitors and I can't imagine a single reason why they would want to cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    This is interesting Maris. I use AT&T and had my phone set to "automatic". However, when I went to another state, I could not get connected (even though the local network that it found was labeled "AT&T"). I had to manually tell the phone to connect to AT&T. Then it worked. That was strange. When I got home still connected to the previous network with no problem.
    I also am having the same problem with my lastest nexus phone bought a month ago, as in the 3g nexus. My old phone was the 2g nexus that my wife as now, and its alway connected no matter what to data and phone.

Recently on our trip from Wa state to Wisconsin her phone was almost always connected to phone and data, as where my mine was alomost never connected and unless i messed with the network settings. But it wouldnt last for long and I would have to do it again.
    So theres defintly something different in the Nexus 3G phone compared to the 2G nexus.
    Does anyone else with the 3G have this problem thru AT&T or is it just mine?

Quote Originally Posted by CentralWARMK View Post
    I also am having the same problem with my lastest nexus phone bought a month ago, as in the 3g nexus. My old phone was the 2g nexus that my wife as now, and its alway connected no matter what to data and phone.

Recently on our trip from Wa state to Wisconsin her phone was almost always connected to phone and data, as where my mine was alomost never connected and unless i messed with the network settings. But it wouldnt last for long and I would have to do it again.
    So theres defintly something different in the Nexus 3G phone compared to the 2G nexus.
    There is no such phone as a "2G nexus". They are all 3G, but one is for T-Mobile and one is for AT&T.

All I had to do was to set mine to connect to AT&T (instead of "Automatically connect") and I haven't had any problems since (though I haven't gone to that many places with it).

Quote Originally Posted by CentralWARMK View Post

There is no such phone as a "2G nexus". They are all 3G, but one is for T-Mobile and one is for AT&T.

All I had to do was to set mine to connect to AT&T (instead of "Automatically connect") and I haven't had any problems since (though I haven't gone to that many places with it).
    Well I have one that is not 3G the first ones out, were only 2 g or whatever you want to call it. Definitely not 3G!!

OK, here's what I found.
    I googled it and got me to a thread at tmobile forum.
    T-Mobile and AT&T roaming agreement - T-Mobile Community

Basically, AT&T and T-Mobile do have roaming agreements but it's tower location specific agreements, which means the towers where you live(want to roam) is expired that's why you can't connect to AT&T there. However, if you visit the place where the roaming agreements are not expired, then you will be able to roam there.

So keep it short, AT&T and tmobile roaming agreements are expiring and it looks like AT&T are asking too much $$$ and t mobile doesn't want to pay that much leaving tmo customers out of service.
    So you and your n1 is not the problem. It's the T mobile's agreement expired in your area.

If you read the link I posted, you will understand it better.

Not quite,Warm...you have an N1 that had the radios for the TMobile network, which was capable of working on AT&T's network, but not receive AT&T's 3G frequencies. Ergo, it was limited to 2G on AT&T's network. Had you waited for the AT&T compatible phone, you'd have 3G speeds. OR, you could switch the phone you have to TMobile, and you'd get 3G from them.

It's all about the radio frequencies in each device.

Thanks, Uheenada. I figured it was something with my phone. Didn't occur to me that Tmobile would be so stupid as to block roaming on AT&T, the second largest network in the US.

time to call up and complain. I'd hate to have to switch back to AT&T given their horrible customer service and network issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links