So I Decided To Factory Reset My N1

This is a discussion on So I Decided To Factory Reset My N1 within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Not that I really needed to or anything, but my battery was really draining and I remember when I had the Backflip and did this ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So I Decided To Factory Reset My N1

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar

So I Decided To Factory Reset My N1

Not that I really needed to or anything, but my battery was really draining and I remember when I had the Backflip and did this it improved my battery life a lot better.

Now I have a lot of apps and a lot of Text/Contacts/Emails, so I knew what I was getting into if I lose anything. So I did a back up of my apps and my data using My Backup. I'm sure there's other things better but I wasn't too concerned.

Did a factory reset, painless and set me back up to stock Froyo FRF91. Cool. I know someone said this before but it really was cool to see the Market reloading the apps both paid and free. Of course any 3rd party apps didn't get put back on and a couple of free apps didn't make it back on. No big deal. Of course Gmail did it's thing and reloaded all my contact, and calendar.

Ran my back up and installed the rest of the apps that weren't put on auto, loaded back my texts and i'm bout oh 85% good cause the rest needed to be done manually.

Of course I had to redo all my widgets and home screen set up, set up my pop email, and some settings as far as ringtone and whatnot. Reset some of the apps back to my SD, passwords and some of the apps settings. Took me a minute cause of so much on there.

BUT and this may just be MY experience only. My battery is running MUCH better, and not draining, or saying it was draining as fast as it was. It seems to run much more smoother than the much more smoother it was already running. My main thing was to see if the battery would improved, and for me YES.

Now unless you got a super great back up apps that gonna keep every little thing saved, or got the time to go through it all and wanna see if anything improves for you, go right ahead. I can't tell you it will help you, but this is the second time I have done a factory reset on a Android phone and it helped my battery.

So now, question

Is there any good defrag apps on the market?
    Androidfied.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Thank you for sharing!

I have been doing the following hardware activities on my mobile phone to ensure smooth functioning, and it seem to work for my N1 as well-

1) Daily Reboot> Switch Off and Restart
    2) 2-3 times a week > Drain the Battery till auto shutdown (power off) and charge
    3) Once a week (atleast I Try) > Drain Battery till auto shutdown (power off) and charge in off state through the nite

Quick app cleaner can't recommend enough
    market://search?q=pname:com.cerisierbleu.qac

android you are banned on the 27th

Quote Originally Posted by nexusrocks View Post
    quick app cleaner can't recommend enough
    market://search?q=pname:com.cerisierbleu.qac
    paid app

not available in india

Ah yes, the micro-manage approach to phone management.
    There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding this. First off, getting better phone behaviour after a wipe makes perfect sense. I don't know if you've ever compared a desktop system that you patch upgraded vs a wipe and clean install, but it's night and day. I just recently factory wiped my froyo and it solved a number of issues and even revealed feature sets I didn't know were there! I highly recommend it if you can spare an hour(make sure you use a backup program to save things like call logs if you care).
    Now, defrag...
    Solid state memory access has no expectations of consecutive blocks. There aren't speed issues with heads moving over platters. Basically, for the vast majority of users ,supposed de-fragging gets you nothing except the placebo effect that it's 'better'. Yes, new fancy ssd drives are running into issues over time, but this is related to heavy use, long time periods and filesystems. I wouldn't give anyone money for products like this. If I really felt I had issues, a factory wipe will get you far more like cleaned up configuration files and a natural pruning of crud left behind by old apps.
    The sdcard is another beast - it's fat32 and in theory over time can get messy. Given it's less of a primary drive though, I'm skeptical of just how bad it can get.

DT

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DThor View Post
    Ah yes, the micro-manage approach to phone management.
    There's a lot of misinformation out there regarding this. First off, getting better phone behaviour after a wipe makes perfect sense. I don't know if you've ever compared a desktop system that you patch upgraded vs a wipe and clean install, but it's night and day. I just recently factory wiped my froyo and it solved a number of issues and even revealed feature sets I didn't know were there! I highly recommend it if you can spare an hour(make sure you use a backup program to save things like call logs if you care).
    Now, defrag...
    Solid state memory access has no expectations of consecutive blocks. There aren't speed issues with heads moving over platters. Basically, for the vast majority of users ,supposed de-fragging gets you nothing except the placebo effect that it's 'better'. Yes, new fancy ssd drives are running into issues over time, but this is related to heavy use, long time periods and filesystems. I wouldn't give anyone money for products like this. If I really felt I had issues, a factory wipe will get you far more like cleaned up configuration files and a natural pruning of crud left behind by old apps.
    The sdcard is another beast - it's fat32 and in theory over time can get messy. Given it's less of a primary drive though, I'm skeptical of just how bad it can get.

DT
    Thx DT

To wipe or not to wipe... is that the question?

i would leave well alone and sleeping dogs lie...
    don't fix it if it ain't broke!

Yes, absolutely, I meant to mention that. I recommend it *if you're having problems or are getting results different from others and you care*. 'If it ain't broke' is a rule I live by.

DT

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yes I'm not saying everyone should do it, and I agree with DThor about not broke. I wasn't necessarily broke, but I been wanting to do it to see if anything would improve. The battery was fine per se, but I wanted to see if it would improve which it did. In addition and this I can't explain, I was able to free up almost 20MB of memory. I find it hard to believe the exact same apps that were on and reisntalled was absorbing that much memory, but I went from around 72-77 up 98MB. I was shocked I had so much open up for me. And this even when I was using the App2SD work around posted in another thread prior to the reset. Whether it was cache or not, my phone is definitely fully optimized now.
    Androidfied.

Wish I had you guys in my corner!
    Then I wouldn't s*** bricks thinking I'd ever have to do this to my gPhone

God and Google please protect my gPhone! !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links