Where is the antenna on the Nexus One?

This is a discussion on Where is the antenna on the Nexus One? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by Beer Goggles Originally Posted by Budske yeah, the antenna is on the bottom back but i think it isnt connected to the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is the antenna on the Nexus One?

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Budske View Post
    yeah, the antenna is on the bottom back but i think it isnt connected to the body of the phone cos ive never had any problem even when holding the phone with my whole hand in that part of the phone.

i have really bad signal cos here on chile, the providers sucks badly! i dont get GPS inside of my house >.< but i put the phone in the window and it work xD
    Your "provider" does NOT "provide" GPS. Your phone gets GPS directly from a bunch of satellites in space.

For the most part, it's "line of sight" (although many receivers are so sensitive these days that this is not always true anymore).

But either way, it has nothing at all to do with your CELL phone provider.
    I think he meant/mistyped GPRS.

mah
    Perhaps he was drunk and trying to navigate from the living room to the kitchen using GPS... haven't we all been there before?

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    yeah, the antenna is on the bottom back but i think it isnt connected to the body of the phone cos ive never had any problem even when holding the phone with my whole hand in that part of the phone.

i have really bad signal cos here on chile, the providers sucks badly! i dont get GPS inside of my house >.< but i put the phone in the window and it work xD
    Your "provider" does NOT "provide" GPS. Your phone gets GPS directly from a bunch of satellites in space.

For the most part, it's "line of sight" (although many receivers are so sensitive these days that this is not always true anymore).

But either way, it has nothing at all to do with your CELL phone provider.
    I think he meant/mistyped GPRS.
    hm nope. i didnt mistyped, its the GPS... and i talked with a friend who is the boss of the tecnology area and he told me that cos the earthquake, all the antennas on my sector got a little damage....

he also told me that when there is a little earthquake... even one with 3 grade on ritcher, all the antennas shut down the 3G...

and yes, when i first got the phone i had no problem with GPS in my house, but i dont know why i dont get GPS workin on my room, maybe cos of the wifi router or something.. ill record a video showing the GPS Test running in the phone in my room

hm nope. i didnt mistyped, its the GPS... and i talked with a friend who is the boss of the tecnology area and he told me that cos the earthquake, all the antennas on my sector got a little damage....

he also told me that when there is a little earthquake... even one with 3 grade on ritcher, all the antennas shut down the 3G...

and yes, when i first got the phone i had no problem with GPS in my house, but i dont know why i dont get GPS workin on my room, maybe cos of the wifi router or something.. ill record a video showing the GPS Test running in the phone in my room
    Again............. Your cell phone provider has absolutely nothing to do with GPS.

GPS comes from satellites, not cell towers.

Although, if you have no Internet connectivity, it may take longer to get a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by RickFriedman View Post
    I decided to test my Nexus One.

Normally, I have 4 full bars of signal. I have found that is I hold the phone at the bottom right corner of the phone, ithe bars drop to 2 and sometimes 1. As soon as I change my grip to hold it at the top, the bars return to 4.

I can consistently repeat this observation.

Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by N1David View Post
    The only way I can get my bars to drop is if I hold the phone at the bottom cupped in my hand. I normally have 3 and doing this drops it down to one bar.
    Don't go by the bars, they're not always accurate. Download an app like "Connection Status", and view the status bar it gives you. The bars at in your notification area are only 1-4, while the Connection Status bar goes from 0 to 31. When my phone says 4 bars, the status bar actually shows 14.

If I cup the bottom of the phone I only lose about 3 points. EVEN WITH BOTH HANDS, the most I can drop is between 3 and 5. Even at 5 points, that's only a 16% drop.
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhiz2k View Post
    Don't go by the bars, they're not always accurate. Download an app like "Connection Status", and view the status bar it gives you. The bars at in your notification area are only 1-4, while the Connection Status bar goes from 0 to 31. When my phone says 4 bars, the status bar actually shows 14.

If I cup the bottom of the phone I only lose about 3 points. EVEN WITH BOTH HANDS, the most I can drop is between 3 and 5. Even at 5 points, that's only a 16% drop.
    That's a good point. You can also see a much better signal indication is absolute number in Settings->About Phone->Status

Again............. Your cell phone provider has absolutely nothing to do with GPS.

GPS comes from satellites, not cell towers.

Although, if you have no Internet connectivity, it may take longer to get a fix.
    Since that's the case, BeerGoggles is correct. GPS is LOS dependent, which is independent of your provider. Use an app called GPS Test, and use Airplane mode to remove any effect from wireless (your provider, wifi). The closer you get to your window, the better your satellite reception will become. The only impact your provider can have is on the GPS is indirect: when you launch GMaps, for example, with GPS enabled, GMaps searches the data connection during the satellite search/lock procedure, which can delay the presentation of a functioning GPS connection, likely from simple competition on system resources (Nav/Maps are large, resource and data-hungry apps).

Quote Originally Posted by alphawave7 View Post
    Since that's the case, BeerGoggles is correct. GPS is LOS dependent, which is independent of your provider. Use an app called GPS Test, and use Airplane mode to remove any effect from wireless (your provider, wifi). The closer you get to your window, the better your satellite reception will become. The only impact your provider can have is on the GPS is indirect: when you launch GMaps, for example, with GPS enabled, GMaps searches the data connection during the satellite search/lock procedure, which can delay the presentation of a functioning GPS connection, likely from simple competition on system resources (Nav/Maps are large, resource and data-hungry apps).
    Good points...

Just as a point of clarification: these days GPS receivers are very, very sensitive and can get signal in some places likes homes, under trees, etc.

So they are not completely LOS, but it helps....

Also, to get a GPS fix, the device needs to know exactly where the satellites are located. This data can be received from the satellite signals themselves or can be retrieved via a network (like the Internet). This what aGPS is (assisted GPS). When retrieved from the satellite signal only, the entire data set can take a long time (up to 30 minutes if the device needs a completely new data set).

This is something that frustrates people who use portable GPS devices that do not have a network connection. They put the device in a drawer for a month or two and then get mad because it takes a long time to get a fix. The reason is the need to retrieve ALL of the satellite data from the satellites only.

mah
    hm nope. i didnt mistyped, its the GPS... and i talked with a friend who is the boss of the tecnology area and he told me that cos the earthquake, all the antennas on my sector got a little damage...
    Since GPS is between your phone and satellites up in space, an earthquake is not going to have an effect. Also, GPS nearly never works indoors, at least not with normal equipment. You may not have mistyped, but you clearly are mistaken.

"antennas in your sector" -- this strongly suggests you mean GPRS, which is a mobile telephony data protocol. GPS is a location determination technology.

There was quite a bit of hubbub about this a few months ago. I saw one example on YouTube that demonstrated how 3G dropped to EDGE and bars dropped and increased depending on how the N1 was held. This seems to be particularly common if you are in an area with marginal 3G, or for EDGE bars near an area with no service. My N1 has the best cell signal when held upside down! Definitely a design flaw, but I still love the N1 running Froyo )))

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links