New N1 owner

This is a discussion on New N1 owner within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey I just got my N1 2 days ago and up till now its been a great experience. I do have a few questions: 1- ...

Thread: New N1 owner

New N1 owner

Hey I just got my N1 2 days ago and up till now its been a great experience. I do have a few questions:

1- What is the difference between having Background Data ON and Background Data + Auto-Sync ON?

2- My phone's battery is lasting a few (4 - 5) hours only when I'm playing with constantly. Is this normal or am I the odd one out?

3- Is it OK to keep the phone plugged in electricity all night long?

I'd appreciate your help!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by wael View Post
    Hey I just got my N1 2 days ago and up till now its been a great experience. I do have a few questions:

1- What is the difference between having Background Data ON and Background Data + Auto-Sync ON?

2- My phone's battery is lasting a few (4 - 5) hours only when I'm playing with constantly. Is this normal or am I the odd one out?

1.) You could refer to this posted on the forums http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...ackground.html . Hopefully that is related and answers your question.

2.) When I first got my Nexus One, the battery was good. After a week, I would lose full battery in less than 3 hrs. I pulled the battery and re-booted and never had the problem since. Your battery will drain if you leave WiFi, GPS, Sync, and Bluetooth on. It will actually drain significantly.

It would be hugely beneficial to buy yourself an extra Li-Ion replacement battery. If you were wondering, I don't have one, but I plan on getting one.

3.) I wouldn't recommend keeping the phone plugged in all night. I did that with my BlackBerry AND iPhone and it killed my battery. Maybe it was just me but I don't recommend that. I usually charge my Nexus One 20-30 minutes before bed so it can maintain above 30-40% through the night.

I never let my battery go below 30%. You can search in the forums as someone already posted why. Something with the cells within the battery dieing without coming back thus losing the full capability of your battery. Personally, It really isn't a big deal to go below 30%... your phone won't self-destruct so that's okay. =p...

I hope I helped answer some of your questions! :nexusx: Welcome to the Nexus One =).

^that link u posted is talkin about APPS, OP is askin about SYNC

1. i know with auto sync on... gmail will update instantly when u get a new email... with it off ull have to update gmail manually
    i think twitter and a few other apps uses this feature also

2. mine dies in 4-5 hours too if im playin with it non stop

3. i leave my phone plugged in during the night, i like to have it at 100% before i start my day...
    i dont know if its bad or not but the battery on this thing can be replaced and for cheap too...only $25, so its not a big deal to me

Welcome wael!

I'm pretty sure that if you leave your phone plugged in all night, once it hits 100% charge it stops charging the battery.. Its just sitting in the plug but not providing any more juice. At least that is MY experience with my other smartphones (iPhone, G1, blackberry's, others that ive used) but who knows..

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar

Auto sync is for sync apps that coincide with stuff you have on the web like gmail, contacts, calendar, youtube accounts Mail exchange etc, if you click your gmail account from there it will show what are automatically sync'd and updated. If you go to your settings and go to auto sync and hit the add account button, you will see what you have set up that will auto sync as well. Background are programs that pushes data through to your phone. Updating your news and weather widget, updates from Market, notifications etc.

Battery on the N1 can drain if using alot of data, having the screen on full bright, or running alot of widgets that updates constantly. Some apps also are not dev correctly to minimize battery use and can drain the battery significantly. Live Wallpapers as well. Sometime doing a factory reset can help battery life. I never hurts to try it if you think your battery is draining too fast.

Yes. It's no different than keeping your laptop plugged in. I have always kept phones plugged in and never any issues.

I hope this helps and always feel free to get help here.
    Androidfied.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links