The frustrations of owning the Nexus One

This is a discussion on The frustrations of owning the Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; The only frustration I have about the phone is that they've discontinued it. I was hoping for a Nexus 2 someday. I was never big ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The frustrations of owning the Nexus One

The only frustration I have about the phone is that they've discontinued it. I was hoping for a Nexus 2 someday. I was never big into phones until I got this one so, all the stuff the original poster talked about doesn't bother me, though I know were he's coming from.

This phone has so far exceeded my expectations and I'm still finding useful apps and capabilities. I didn't expect perfection, didn't expect it to keep up with new technologies after I bought it, recognized that new developments would whet my appetite some day for something better. We should recognize that there are new technologies being developed generations ahead of what is on the market at any given time.
    :nexusx: Serious Android Fan :nexusx:

Don't see anything in a newer phone that gives me a temptation to leave my Nexus One!

I have the opportunity to get the Nexus One free on a 20 (24 month) contract. I'm concerned that it's been discontinued and don't want to find that it gets left behind in terms of s/w updates. My other option is a free Motorola DEFY on 15 which is also quite tempting. Any views on whether I should go for the sexier Nexus One with its nippier processor or the 800Mhz 1.2 DEFY? Do we know if the Nexus one will definitely be getting Gingerbread and do you think there's a good chance that Gingerbread would also come to the DEFY?

Any thoughts welcome particularly on the wisdom of getting a Nexus One at this stage in the game.

Isn't anyone bugged by the fact that we only have 512mb internal memory?

Quote Originally Posted by wacrack View Post
    Isn't anyone bugged by the fact that we only have 512mb internal memory?
    Does that cause you a problem? It's twice what I have on my G1 so I was hoping it would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bascule View Post
    I have the opportunity to get the Nexus One free on a 20 (24 month) contract. I'm concerned that it's been discontinued and don't want to find that it gets left behind in terms of s/w updates. My other option is a free Motorola DEFY on 15 which is also quite tempting. Any views on whether I should go for the sexier Nexus One with its nippier processor or the 800Mhz 1.2 DEFY? Do we know if the Nexus one will definitely be getting Gingerbread and do you think there's a good chance that Gingerbread would also come to the DEFY?

Any thoughts welcome particularly on the wisdom of getting a Nexus One at this stage in the game.
    Well the way I see it, it was an amazing phone on release, and it still an amazing phone. What makes a good phone goes beyond the specs. I never had a Defy but the N1 just rocks. The Motorola Defy looks like a great phone, but in my opinion the N1 has some small advantages over it. First of all, it has no MOTOBLUR haha. Second, it was updated to 2.2 on the day it came out, and it's the only phone that got that on day one, and it will get 2.3 on release too, because it is currently the official developer phone (so no it hasn't actually been discontinued - you can apply for a dev account at Google site, pay 25 dollars to be a developer and they will sell you a carrier free Nexus One if you want). The Defy will take a REALLY long time to get 2.3, like all other phones. Third, It is really easy to install custom roms (I'm not sure about the Defy, maybe it is easy too) if you want, and if Google ever stops updating for the Nexus One, the community will continue, like Cyanogen has a custom rom of Android 2.2 for the G1. Fourth, I bought mine carrier free, so it works in almost any country (I don't think that would be the case for you haha). But then again, there is the bill to pay, and the Defy definitely seems awesome for less money.

One thing I find bad about my Nexus One, and I believe they fixed it, (although maybe you should check on a try out unit at the store) is that the multitouch is a bit poor on the Nexus One, there is an issue crossing axis, going so far as making some games unplayable (like some gameloft fps). If you're using your phone for business and don't care (like me), then it will make absolutely no difference since most games are made with single touch in mind by their developers.

Bottom line: I'd say take the Nexus One, but there is no wrong choice, it's a definitely win with either.

RickShake - Thanks for the advice - very reassuring. I think I'd be down to the Vodafone store now if it wasn't for one thing. Vodafone will give me 500MB of data and T-Mobile will give me 3GB. Vodafone will charge me 5 for going over and T-Mobile will write me a polite letter. I just don't see 500MB as being enough. I've had 3G Watchdog installed on my G1 for the last 24 hours and I've used 28MB. That does include installing the Maps update this morning but even allowing for that I think I would have to curtail my usage a bit whilst out and about and I'd rather not have to constantly watch my usage. But I guess that's the price I'll have to pay if I want the Nexus One badly enough. Decisions...

RickShake - Thanks for the advice - very reassuring. I think I'd be down to the Vodafone store now if it wasn't for one thing. Vodafone will give me 500MB of data and T-Mobile will give me 3GB. Vodafone will charge me 5 for going over and T-Mobile will write me a polite letter. I just don't see 500MB as being enough. I've had 3G Watchdog installed on my G1 for the last 24 hours and I've used 28MB. That does include installing the Maps update this morning but even allowing for that I think I would have to curtail my usage a bit whilst out and about and I'd rather not have to constantly watch my usage. But I guess that's the price I'll have to pay if I want the Nexus One badly enough. Decisions...
    Whoa hold on a second. 500 mb vs 3gb? Two things: one, find out who has the best quality and or speed in your region. I get 500 mb for Rogers and its enough for most activities because there is wifi pretty much everywhere, but I know I could EASILY go over 500 very fast. Quality is important because 3gb with poor connection will be a pain.

Second, the plan comes first, and I learned this the hard way. Phones come and go, they get old, and its actually not that expensive to buy new without a carrier because in the long run you save money. A less powerful phone sucks. But getting stuck with a ****ty plan for years? That's really bad. Rogers been ripping me off for 3 years now, with many much better plans from other carriers and I was stuck. My opinion? Choose the BEST plan possible first with best quality, THEN look at the phones available for that plan and choose. Later on you'll be eligible for free upgrades etc.

Or buy a phone full price with no carrier and be free. My true reason to buy a full price nexus one. Not only because it is cool, but because it is unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by RickShake View Post
    Whoa hold on a second. 500 mb vs 3gb? Two things: one, find out who has the best quality and or speed in your region. I get 500 mb for Rogers and its enough for most activities because there is wifi pretty much everywhere, but I know I could EASILY go over 500 very fast. Quality is important because 3gb with poor connection will be a pain.

Second, the plan comes first, and I learned this the hard way. Phones come and go, they get old, and its actually not that expensive to buy new without a carrier because in the long run you save money. A less powerful phone sucks. But getting stuck with a ****ty plan for years? That's really bad. Rogers been ripping me off for 3 years now, with many much better plans from other carriers and I was stuck. My opinion? Choose the BEST plan possible first with best quality, THEN look at the phones available for that plan and choose. Later on you'll be eligible for free upgrades etc.

Or buy a phone full price with no carrier and be free. My true reason to buy a full price nexus one. Not only because it is cool, but because it is unlocked.
    Thanks again. Good advice, I think. Unfortunately I don't have the cash spare to buy an unlocked handset. I currently have the T-Mobile G1 with T-mobile UK on 20/month. The DEFY is being offered to me as a free upgrade on a better contract (15/month for 100mins, unlimited txts, 3GB which is fine as I don't use a lot of minutes). The Nexus One is a special promotion (20/month for 100mins, 500 txts and 500MB). I'd happily pay the extra fiver a month for the Nexus One if I wasn't concerned about the 500MB. But I've been with T-Mobile for 18 months and not had any network or speed problems with their 3G network so I know that the 3GB comes with a good network. So if "plan comes first" I ought to go with the DEFY. I've scoured the internet for info on whether it's likely to get 2.2 or 2.3 but no joy. I think I may go for the value for money option and hope for the best. A cheaper DEFY limited to slow/no s/w updates is perhaps less painful than the more expensive Nexus One crippled by a poor data plan. But then. I could just be more careful with my usage and make more use of wifi where I can. Ah damn! Still no nearer a decision!

Look, ask yourself, do I REALLY want this phone? If the answer is yes, get it. Trust me, you will not die on 500mb, I did just fine for the longest time. As long as you don't stream radio on the bus and watch Youtube, and only download 20mb apps while on wifi, then you'll never pass the 500mb mark. If you can live without those things, and you don't mass txt everyone (500 txts seems too little for me), then GET the Nexus One, get what you want. If the answer is no, go with the "better plan" advice, and you'll be happier.

When I got mine, I REALLY wanted it, so much that I paid more on it than my laptop and I don't make that much money. It really comes down to getting what you want, life is short. The plan advice is what I believe in, because it works for me, and because here in Canada they **** you over in phone plans (it is by far my most expensive bill, with the exception of rent). 5 bucks plus or less a month, that's two coffees who cares. Just go buy it already stop posting! ; )

Bottom line: do what's going to make you happy. If saving money makes you happy (that's what makes me happy haha), get the Defy, it is a great phone too, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you really just wanna have a cool phone buy the Nexus.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links