The frustrations of owning the Nexus One

This is a discussion on The frustrations of owning the Nexus One within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I should start by saying that I do love this phone. And yes we got Froyo first. What I so maddening about it is that ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The frustrations of owning the Nexus One

The frustrations of owning the Nexus One

I should start by saying that I do love this phone. And yes we got Froyo first. What I so maddening about it is that I feel the phone could be BETTER than it currently is. A little more love from Google and I think it would be flawless.

Here are my issues:

1) that axis flipping issue with multitouch. I've read that this is just a "hardware issue" but honestly, it seems like with a little bit of software improvement specifically aimed at dealing with this issue, the multitouch could be made just as accurate as a Droid Incredible (or regular droid). I notice this most when playing emulator games or in google maps, trying to pinch zoom in.

2) The lack of FM radio. The hardware is in there! why hasn't it been activated? laziness? CAN it even be activated?

3) The 720 HD video recording. So it is completely possible to record in 720p but only if you hack it and install a cyanogen mod. WHY? can't google do the same thing and just enable this for unrooted, stock nexus ones? laziness and lack of nexus one love.

4) Lack of video out from the mini-usb port. The droid incredible can do this with an adapter. you hook up the same adapter to the nexus one and you get....audio out only. Again, I'm not sure if it is possible to route the video to that port, but could we get a definitive statement from google if this will EVER be possible or if it is just completely hardware impossible? I doubt it. Probably Cyanogen will figure it out first. or it will just never happen.

5) the total lack of advertising. OK, so the webstore strategy didn't work. fine, how about releasing it in Tmobile stores and having commercials and bragging about how with 2.2 it is beating the new Iphone in benchmarks. How about putting the name Nexus One out to the public so that when you interview someone on the street they don't think you are talking about a hybrid car? Instead the google strategy seems to be "declare victory and withdraw."

Despite getting Froyo first, these issues often make me feel like the nexus one is the abandoned child of google rather than the favored child.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yeah seems like a terrible phone now that you opened my eyes to the truth :rolleyes:

Probably best if you just return it then for a much better phone like an iPhone instead of having to whine and cry :D

The driod incredible is actually getting an update that will allow the phone to shoot 720p video. Maybe the nexus one will follow!

T&C
    Amazing...you have a state of the art phone and your looking for FM Radio...
    maybe we can come up with an adapter to play those 8track too...

Who ever goes to T-mo retail to buy a phone? They are packed with knuckleheads that told me years ago I could not use an iPhone, iPhone 3gs etc on there network.

Most at the retail end have never even seen an N1 are you looking for someone to pat you on the back and say hey great purchase?

Web connection worked great for many of us and didnt have to deal with a new contact with Tmo!

Quote Originally Posted by T&C View Post
    or maybe an usb adapter to conect it to an external CD drive to listen music from CDs

Quote Originally Posted by T&C View Post

Who ever goes to T-mo retail to buy a phone? They are packed with knuckleheads that told me years ago I could not use an iPhone, iPhone 3gs etc on there network.

Most at the retail end have never even seen an N1 are you looking for someone to pat you on the back and say hey great purchase?

Web connection worked great for many of us and didnt have to deal with a new contact with Tmo!

lol what a smartass but funny nevertheless!!!
    :nexusx: Nexus One Beta Tester

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    I owned a Motorola Backflip. I loved the phone. I thought it was great and didn't complain about it. It lacked certain feature, speed, and hardware however. Outdated Android version.

Even though I loved the phone. I took it back. I bought a phone I liked even more. I notice another phone had better features and functionality that appealed to me better. So I got that one and took the Backflip Back.

I hope this is making sense for you.
    Androidfied.

I'm a bit surprised at the defensiveness of these responses. These are a few minor issues that, if fixed, would make the phone perfect in my opinion. And I think they CAN be fixed.

you guys are saying "if the phone doesn't have the features you want, buy a different one...make sense to you?" and "if you're going to whine, go buy an Iphone." Do you always have such an all-or-nothing response when someone points out things that both they (and others) want improved or enabled on the Nexus One?

the 720p video recording is a no-brainer. It already works on the nexus one, but only on a rooted, cyanogen mod. I am just wanting it for the stock nexus one, as a default feature.

The FM receiver is very similar. A tear-down of the phone revealed that the hardware is already in there and can very like be enabled if only the software was written to use it. But google won't say if it is even possible to enable it.

the other things (multitouch axis flipping issue and video out) I'm not really sure if they can ever be perfected or enabled, but I just wish google would give us a definitive answer.

I have no problem with the phone as is. I don't even need to root to love it.

You are absolutely right, why not just enable 720p video recording for the Nexus One? Yes, it's high output and stressful for the phone, but the Nexus One is definitely capable of handling it without issue(as seen with Cyanogen Mod).

I could careless about advertising. I mean people awe as it is because I have a Nexus One....something they've never heard of. May be bad for Google, but fine with me. Good to know I have a phone that people have never heard of and awe at the site! =).

A few TV commercials could of done the Nexus One damn good, but oh well.

Sooooo.... 720p WITHOUT rooting and I'll buy myself a second Nexus One just in-case this god-of-a-phone breaks.. =)

Question

I guess I thought froyo gave us the 720 vid capability once an app comes out on the market.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links