getting a nexus one?

This is a discussion on getting a nexus one? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; hey there! I need a new phone and nexus one has popped up as an option, but before I get it I have some questions ...

Thread: getting a nexus one?

getting a nexus one?

hey there! I need a new phone and nexus one has popped up as an option, but before I get it I have some questions for you guys.

1) do you think price of nexus one will drop within this year? i wonder how the 527 price tag compares with unlocked iphone4 (in canada)

2) since im a late adopter, is the h/w still competitive with the other android phones? froyo made n1 benchtests beat the other phones but when froyo is available for the rest of the android phones, aren't they going to be much better in performance?

3) i'm in canada with a sim card, so that's the main reason I'm considering an unlocked N1 since I can't get cdma/carrier-locked EVO/incredible. are there other options other than iphone4?

4) finally, pros and cons for N1...

from what i can see, pros:
    -fast s/w updates
    -unlocked

cons:
    -amoled bad in sunlight
    -a little "old" in android age

sigh, im so cheap that I wouldn't buy a $200 A/C in this hot summer, and yet i'm going to be spending 600 on a new phone.

thanks y'all!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

the AMOLED is not a problem for me in sunlight....And the phone has a 1ghz snapdragon processor, this processor pretty much run all of android top of the line android phones. So it is far from being "old"

But to answer your first question. I don't think they will be dropping the price anytime soon. I will let someone else answer the rest!!!

I got mine and put in my Bell SIM card, called them to get a data plan, changed the settings as per one of the posts here, and was ready to go. And it's AWESOME. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcjack View Post
    hey there! I need a new phone and nexus one has popped up as an option, but before I get it I have some questions for you guys.

1) do you think price of nexus one will drop within this year? i wonder how the 527 price tag compares with unlocked iphone4 (in canada)

2) since im a late adopter, is the h/w still competitive with the other android phones? froyo made n1 benchtests beat the other phones but when froyo is available for the rest of the android phones, aren't they going to be much better in performance?

3) i'm in canada with a sim card, so that's the main reason I'm considering an unlocked N1 since I can't get cdma/carrier-locked EVO/incredible. are there other options other than iphone4?

4) finally, pros and cons for N1...

from what i can see, pros:
    -fast s/w updates
    -unlocked

cons:
    -amoled bad in sunlight
    -a little "old" in android age

sigh, im so cheap that I wouldn't buy a $200 A/C in this hot summer, and yet i'm going to be spending 600 on a new phone.

thanks y'all!
    Price. Doubt it'll drop anytime soon. As long as there is demand for arguably the best built android on the market, it'll stay that price. But nobody really knows. Maybe when it finally gets released to stores it'll drop.

Hardware. Right now there is no phone on the market that really beats the N1 in specs.
    -Sure some have a bigger screen and that for me would be the ONLY thing that stands out.
    -The Incredible and some other phones have a higher mp camera but tests have shown that the N1 is equal or better than them because it's just a better camera. It adjusts to light better, and takes clearer pics in low light. the flash is also better.
    -Processor. Right now only one phone has a 1.25 and soon another will have a 1.5 (galaxy). If this is important (and screen size) get a Galaxy. But. All in all the N1 was so far ahead of the game that it's still top 3 easily in speed (that's at 2.1-eclair), Froyo only makes it better!
    -On board Memory...has pretty much been vanquished as a problem (although 512 is still top shelf) as an issue because of Froyo.
    -Screen quality and amoled. Don't listen to the people bagging on it. EVERY PHONE I've compared mine too falls short of my N1 in the sunlight. It's BS about the amoled screen. Again the Galaxy (comes out July 15th) is the only android that is better. The iphone wins this battle as well.

Better Phones. Again the only phones that are really better are the EVO 4 (you can't get) and the Galaxy which comes to T-Mobile on the 15th. The salesman at T-Mo that I spoke to in NYC today said that, He expects the models you can play with in the store come out next week. Seriously though. The Galaxy is the first phone non cdma to really beat the N1 and it's not even out yet. It won't be as durable. It's not made of metal. In fact the only real solid phones out there imo, are the N1 and the iphone.

Pros. You mentioned many
    -tied to google so we get everything cool first
    -solid well built phone
    - still awesome specs
    -FROYO. Nobody else will have it but the Galaxy (gets it at end of July [don't hold your breath, al carriers have been slow slow slow at releasing updates]) for quite some time. By then the N1 will have Gingerbread!
    -The desktop dock is absolutely fabulous!
    -you can get a second battery for a mere $25!
    -Great camera that can now shoot 720 hd video with the right app.
    -Slim, sleek and beautiful! I had a girl bragging to everyone who'd listen about my phone that it was the greatest phone just two weeks ago. It's a chick magnet!
    -Google's baby. We'll get everything first w/o having to wait for the carriers to get around to an update. They really don't care because they already have your money.

Cons
    -Battery life (but with a $25 replacement you can carry around with you. Who care?
    -Now that it has Froyo, there are really no other cons.
    - I really wish I could find some, but I can't. I suppose, it's only the 4th best phone on the market, behind the Evo 4g, iphone 4 and the galaxy (yet to be released and none of them have froyo yet. Only the Galaxy is the clear favorite, imo.

AMOLED isn't a problem in the daylight. Now it is a problem if you have 'Automatic Brightness' turned on. If that is the case, you will find it difficult to see outside.

As for the other phones receiving 2.2 , I wouldn't be worried. The N1 has a 1Ghz snapdragon processor. There is a small handful of phones that carry 1Ghz processors. Obviously in the future phones will be improving. The good thing is, the Nexus One is ahead of most and even with some. The iPhone 4 boasts the A4 processor that the iPad uses........simply 1Ghz, something the Nexus One already has!

With that being said, you wouldn't go wrong by getting a Nexus One, even if it was released in January and it is now July with many more new phone releases.

Pro's:
    -1Ghz Snapdragon
    -5MP Camera + Flash
    -It's made by HTC & Google....=)
    -Frequent updates
    -Bad@$$ design (minus the trackball) .. Something I NEVER use lol
    -The freedom is beyond acknowledgment for some.
    -Tethering and WiFi hotspot
    -Google Voice********

Cons:
    -Email doesn't have bulk delete or 'Select-all' feature!!
    -Having to tweak the brightness during sunny days =)

- And last but not least....being compared to the iPhone...........

Get a Nexus One. I owned an iPhone 3GS and switching to Android and the Nexus One was the smartest decision I could of made in choosing a phone. The only thing I miss from my iPhone was the 'Select All' feature for my e-mail. Other than that, It's not even in the back of my mind =).

Here is a picture comparing 4 of the top phones in the market. Here is the direct link : iPhone 4 Vs HTC EVO 4G Vs Droid Incredible Vs Nexus One | Gadgets DNA and below is the embedded picture from that link.

Hopefully you decide to join us and get a Nexus One!

Hi all, sorry for the late reply, but i'm proud to say i have finally joined the N1 community!!!!! I hopped on board with the last shipment of the N1s and have been playing with it like crazy.

I've installed the following apps so far,
    1) do u guys have any additional ones u'd like to share?

advanced task killer
    adv task manager
    andexplorer
    battery details
    calvin and hobbes!!!
    droid light
    dropbox
    ebuddy
    fring
    gps test
    keepscreen
    launcherpro
    lookout
    maverick
    msn talk
    mVideoplayer
    opera mini
    pandora (doesnt work in canada -> is there a hotspot shield similar app?)
    Ringdroid
    rockplayer
    that's what she said (rofl)
    TiKL - touch to talk (still have yet to try this w/ someone)

2) with mapDroyd, i can view offline maps and use gps to detect my location, but is there an app that can calculate directions for navigation (without data plan/wifi)

3)Also, my battery charging brings batt temp to around 37C. is that pretty normal?

4) as for cases, i'm still debating whether to get a "barely there" or a 2 layer tough case. FYI, when i unboxed it, my friend's like let me see it, and then he dropped it
    i was in absolute shock as it turned a few times before hitting the floor... small scratch on surface.

5) i find that my finger does not scroll smoothly on the screen vs an iphone. It may partly be due to my dry fingers. Do you think a screen protector will help aid smoothness while maintain the touchpad sensing?

6) and finally, read the news about super LCD ...what u guys think
    HTC Desire and Nexus One Are Getting Super LCD Screens

My gf dropped mine 2 days after I got it. Nice little scratch in the corner. I hadn't received that protection I had ordered...

I got the Clarivue screen protector (my buddy has another HTC and flipped out when he played with my N1 'cause he liked the feel of the screen so much. Then I told him it was the screen protector that did that!). I also got the Case-Mate One Tough case. Haven't dropped the phone since, but I'm pretty confident it would survive any fall.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links