Considering the Nexus One...Help Appreciated

This is a discussion on Considering the Nexus One...Help Appreciated within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi guys! Current iPhone 3GS user here, have made up my mind to switch to Android, however I am stuck on At&t. Being as my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering the Nexus One...Help Appreciated

Considering the Nexus One...Help Appreciated

Hi guys! Current iPhone 3GS user here, have made up my mind to switch to Android, however I am stuck on At&t. Being as my choices are limited, I had originally made up my mind to get the Nexus One but with the recent news of the Galaxy S Captivate coming to AT&T I'm torn. Spec wise they seem about the same with the Captivate having a better/larger screen (which I like) and being able to record 720p hd video. However, I've owned Samsung phones in the past and have never been happy with their build quality. Reviews I've read of the Galaxy S and first takes on the Captivate say it has a decidedly plastic feel to it. I don't know if I want to drop that much money on a cheap feeling phone (I would be buying the "no contract" version.) Also I've heard Samsung is sloooooooowwwww in getting Android updates to it's user base, and I'm not a huge fan of Touchwiz. For me, spec wise, the Nexus One doesn't seem "outdated" (as I've read around the interwebs...) in fact, it's very favorable to most "superphones" coming out today (1ghz processor, 512 mb Ram, so on and so forth.)
    I guess what I'm asking is to give me some user feedback on the Nexus One, perhaps calm my fears of buying a perceived outdated phone. Again, the Captivate doesn't seem to offer anything over what the Nexus One does, save for the Super AMOLED screen and native 720p video recording (which I've heard the Nexus One can get through being rooted?)
    So has anyone had experience with Samsung phones and can give their opinions? Perhaps my experiences were unique. Anybody switching from Nexus One to the Galaxy S? Is the support you get from Google (first to update etc.) worth buying the older phone? Is the Nexus One "laggy" at all? I know that is one of my main concerns on Android devices, having played with the Droid, is that they seem pretty laggy at times, whereas my iPhone never does.

Any input would be much appreciated!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I can try to put your fears to rest. First off, we Nexii already have FroYo, 2.2. The Captivate will be releasing with 2.1 (which doesn't suck, either). Personally, I'm still extremely happy with my Nexus One. The screen is gorgeous, it's decidedly faster than my 3Gs was, and I've been able to customize it to my liking without rooting, too. I have a feeling (unsubstantiated) that 720p recording will be part of Gingerbread when it's released. I have had occasional bouts of lag, but they always clear with a restart...to me, it's just computer stuff in general, and not a big deal at all.

As for Samsung, my only experience with one of their phones was my BlackJackII, which was more handicapped by WinMo than by any hardware issues. It worked fine for me for 2 years, and still would if I were using it.

Best thing I can say is to wait until the Captivate is out, and see if it holds more appeal to you. If not, the Nexus is an outstanding device in its own right. I wouldn't hesitate to go with it, even now. The bigger screen may be enticing, but the basic functions still favor the Nexus, by a small margin (due to FroYo).

Hope this helps!

And WELCOME to the fourm!

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Worse cons for the Captivate will be the updates as AT&T has final pull on what's added on and when it's updated, let alone Samsung getting the update to AT&T for approval. However I'm sure someone will root the phone and put it out, but then you will held to them updating and maintaining updates on the phone, which are done pretty good. I'm sure also that AT&T will restrict the function of 3rd party apps, which could get gotten around if root comes for it.

I would not trade off my N1 for a Captivate simply because

1. I don't want to lose my freedom of Android, along with 2.2 and Flash

2. I don't want to lose my $15 unlimited data plan that is Grandfathered.

3. I don't want to lose my free tethering.

4. I don't like that fact that AT&T Android phones (the 2 out) require you to install 3rd party apps via SDK

Both phones are running a 1ghz chipset.

n1 AMOLEd vs Samsung GS Super AMOLED. Eh, cool, but AMOLED is vibrant and beautiful enough for me.

Captivate has more internal memory storage. I believe 16MB if not mistaken. Just remember if you get the Captivate you are tied down to what AT&T wants done to the phone. I fear any Android phone will not come with 2.2 because it offers to much freedom broken away from the carrier.

Spec wise N1 is not necessary outdated as people are trying to put out there, but it is an older phone even though 6-7 months is not too far off. The phone is only criticized because it doesn't support some of the hardware features as newer phones are capable of doing.
    Androidfied.

Yeah the nexus one is a great phone and is far from dated. The phone has a snapdragon processor which is in the evo, and the incredible which are both great phones. The screen is also AMOLED, and the phone is made by HTC so the build quality is excellent. I say if you pick the nexus one you will be making a good choice. The touchwiz UI on the Samsung is in improved, but I would stick with a plain vanilla android UI cause you get updates quicker.

You couldn't go wrong by getting a Nexus One. As WERA689 said, there may be moments of lag(2.1). With 2.2, I have only experienced lag using LauncherProBeta. I haven't experienced any lag with 2.2 on the Stock Launcher.

You are limited to Android phones by being stuck on AT&T. You could go with a 600mhz HTC Aria. It's surprisingly smooth.

With the Nexus One and it's 1GHZ SnapDragon Processor, speed isn't in question(especially with FroYo). 5MP Camera + Flash, so you get great pictures. Having HD recording is something that is envied but I do believe, just as WERA689, that Gingerbread will support 720p. That is speculating.

The video quality is beyond good, at least for my uses. I eBay'd my 3GS and got myself a Nexus One. The only thing I regret is that I didn't buy the Nexus One sooner! lol.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post
    You couldn't go wrong by getting a Nexus One. As WERA689 said, there may be moments of lag(2.1). With 2.2, I have only experienced lag using LauncherProBeta. I haven't experienced any lag with 2.2 on the Stock Launcher.

You are limited to Android phones by being stuck on AT&T. You could go with a 600mhz HTC Aria. It's surprisingly smooth.

With the Nexus One and it's 1GHZ SnapDragon Processor, speed isn't in question(especially with FroYo). 5MP Camera + Flash, so you get great pictures. Having HD recording is something that is envied but I do believe, just as WERA689, that Gingerbread will support 720p. That is speculating.

The video quality is beyond good, at least for my uses. I eBay'd my 3GS and got myself a Nexus One. The only thing I regret is that I didn't buy the Nexus One sooner! lol.. =)
    I actually went into an AT&T store and played around with the Aria to get a feel for Android (running Sense UI of course). The phone was smooth as butter, a testament to how much power they were able to get out of that 600 mhz. I liked the phone but it was a tad to small for my liking and with a 600mhz processor might be limited in upcoming android updates.

I think I'm going to go with the Nexus One because it's Google's phone and will be the first to get updates. The hardware, IMHO, matches anything coming out today, 6 months after its release. I guess I was just curious if anybody here saw anything in the Samsung that I didn't that would be a selling point over the Nexus One.

A question for the former iPhone owners...do you miss iOS at all? When I first got an iPhone 2 years ago I thought the UI was incredible. Now it seems dated and very restrictive. I enjoy a lot of iPhone apps and love the keyboard for it, but customization seems to be nonexistent. Although jailbroken the phone was more than capable. Are there a lot of comparable apps in the Android marketplace? One I love on the iPhone is Red Laser..I saw that there was a barcode scanner in the Marketplace, is this essentially the same app? Are there any features of iOS that you miss? Do you much prefer your Nexus One now that you switched?

As far as the screen...having a 4 inch screen with that Super AMOLED display would be nice, but I've heard people say the Nexus One screen was great. For those coming from the 3GS (and it's now pathetic resolution) did you notice a big difference? As far as getting the phone sight unseen have you run into any problems hardware or software wise that you might have known about had you held one before purchase? Is the trackball annoying/get in the way of daily use?

I've heard rumors the online store was closing soon, if that's the case will I still be able to purchase the Nexus One from Google? When you ordered your phone how quick was the delivery time, i.e. 1 day, 1 week etc.?

Sorry for all the questions but before I drop $550 on a phone I'd like to have some questions answered. You guys have been very helpful so thank you for any future responses.

I went from the iPhone 3G to the N1 and it is great. I have been able to find all the apps that I used regularly on my iPhone available on the N1. The download experience is smoother and they run well. The upgrades have been really nice too.

I ordered my N1 from Google on Friday and I had it the following Thursday including the weekend. When it arrived, my N1 was partially charged and I decided that I couldn't wait for a full charge so I pulled my chip into it and it simply worked. No contacting AT&T for anything to change anything at all. After I had played for a few minutes, I completed a full charge that took about three hours and it has worked excellent ever since.

I have upgraded to a 16mb memory card and have a couple movies on my N1 as well as a bunch of books from Wattpad. I don't mean to steal someone elese's tag line, but this device just works. I really like it. The price is a little steap, but it has achieved everything that I was hoping for and more. I have tested the tethering a new times just to confirm it works and actually used it for diagnosing some network problems in my router this morning.

I am very happy and can recommend the N1 for AT&T. A very smooth transaction from start to finish.

Honestly, the only selling point I can see in the GalaxyS is the larger screen.

As to missing iOS....no freekin' way do I miss it! The lack of customization is exactly what Steve wants in iOS, and is one of the biggest reasons that Android is growing as fast as it is!

Red Laser and Barcode Scanner are very comparable, yes.

The screen of the N1 simply blows away the screen of the 3Gs and the iPod Touch...no comparison at all. None. Period. Color, saturation, contrast and detail are all hands down in favor of the Nexus. There is really no way I can stress this difference enough...it's staggering!

No issues at all with either hardware or software, and i rather like the trackball. It's a viable shutter release for the camera; and it's handy for selecting links in web pages...far more precise than my finger can be without zooming way in on a page.

Delivery should be one business day, depending on when during that day you place your order.

Go for it, eers...you won't regret it for one second.

Quote Originally Posted by Lendmeyoureers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheanzy View Post

I actually went into an AT&T store and played around with the Aria to get a feel for Android (running Sense UI of course). The phone was smooth as butter, a testament to how much power they were able to get out of that 600 mhz. I liked the phone but it was a tad to small for my liking and with a 600mhz processor might be limited in upcoming android updates.

I think I'm going to go with the Nexus One because it's Google's phone and will be the first to get updates. The hardware, IMHO, matches anything coming out today, 6 months after its release. I guess I was just curious if anybody here saw anything in the Samsung that I didn't that would be a selling point over the Nexus One.

A question for the former iPhone owners...do you miss iOS at all? When I first got an iPhone 2 years ago I thought the UI was incredible. Now it seems dated and very restrictive. I enjoy a lot of iPhone apps and love the keyboard for it, but customization seems to be nonexistent. Although jailbroken the phone was more than capable. Are there a lot of comparable apps in the Android marketplace? One I love on the iPhone is Red Laser..I saw that there was a barcode scanner in the Marketplace, is this essentially the same app? Are there any features of iOS that you miss? Do you much prefer your Nexus One now that you switched?

As far as the screen...having a 4 inch screen with that Super AMOLED display would be nice, but I've heard people say the Nexus One screen was great. For those coming from the 3GS (and it's now pathetic resolution) did you notice a big difference? As far as getting the phone sight unseen have you run into any problems hardware or software wise that you might have known about had you held one before purchase? Is the trackball annoying/get in the way of daily use?

I've heard rumors the online store was closing soon, if that's the case will I still be able to purchase the Nexus One from Google? When you ordered your phone how quick was the delivery time, i.e. 1 day, 1 week etc.?

Sorry for all the questions but before I drop $550 on a phone I'd like to have some questions answered. You guys have been very helpful so thank you for any future responses.
    Yes, The Aria is pretty small. I was also surprised to see how smooth it ran on a 600mhz processor. As you stated, it would be a bit of a concern for future Android updates. I wouldn't go below 1ghz IMO.

With the Nexus One, 550$ is well worth it. I mean, Do I wish I could of go an upgraded price of 179$ like T-Mo? YES! =).. It is the greatest phone I have ever used/played with. I would actually buy a backup device(Nexus One) if my funds permitted!

As far as the iOS, I don't miss anything about it. When receiving my Nexus One, I was actually blown away by the Android OS. The iPhone OS looks so......nooobyyyyyyyy compared to that of my Nexus One :rofl3:.

Also, with the apps, most Android apps stem from that of the iPhone's App Store. So most, if not all of the beloved iPhone apps that I adored, is within reach on my Nexus One. Apple exceeds the number of apps to that of the Android Market, but if you've been watching Android over the past year, its Market may/should soon exceed that of Apples.

The one feature that I miss from the iPhone and it is a feature I stress the most, is that of the 'Select All' feature on the iPhone e-mail app. For some unknown reason, Google never implemented a 'Select-all' nor a EMPTY TRASH option within their stock e-mail AND GMAIL app. This is highly frustrating and could lose Google some customers of that of business if it isn't fixed. Individually selecting each e-mail to check so it can be deleted is very tedious.

FINAL WORDS: Buy the Nexus One. You will not be disappointed in switching from the iPhone 3GS. With FroYo, WiFi Hotspot, Tethering, FULL customization,REAL MULTITASKING, and overall freedom, you have no limit of opportunity with this phone. Okay okay, so you have to root to get 720p video recording, but as I said before, the video quality is beyond tolerable and excellent for that of a cell phone.

As far as shipping goes. I received my Nexus One in two days via FedEx. Personally, it felt like it took more time to fully charge so I could finally boot up my N1 when I first unboxed it haha.

By the way.... iPhone 'true multitasking' isn't so true. It still often restarts apps and is far beyond that of Android. Like I said before the iOS looks so 'NOOB' to that compared of Android. :nexusx:

i bought my n1 recently and i am totally surprized by the way it performs....its super fast and smooth...
    as soon as i inserted the sim card, and switched on my phone i had the updates ready to be installed.......

i am really in love with my n1..:D:D:D:D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links