trying to root

This is a discussion on trying to root within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hey guys I'm running frf91 and I can't seem to root it. I have the bootloader unlocked but I can't flash any recovery images or ...

Thread: trying to root

trying to root

Hey guys I'm running frf91 and I can't seem to root it. I have the bootloader unlocked but I can't flash any recovery images or root it. I saw a thread at xda saying you need to downgrade and then root but the link for the file doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Hey guys I'm running frf91 and I can't seem to root it. I have the bootloader unlocked but I can't flash any recovery images or root it. I saw a thread at xda saying you need to downgrade and then root but the link for the file doesn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Yea, I'd like to know too. There are so many guides out there , it's hard to complete the process without looking at multiple guides. Most 'complete' guides are outdated.

I know it's the same concept, but for noobies like us, it would be much easier and less stressful to have a guide that has step by step instructions for each and ever process. That way people aren't stumbling around multiple tutorials and increasing their chances of bricking their phone.

This is the guide I was talking about but the link freezes up at about 30 megs into it does anybody else have this file?

Are you using the stock recovery? If so, drop that sucker like a hot potato.

Flash on Amon-Ra Recovery and have fun installing mods all day long. You can also use it to backup your system image (VERY handy).
    ATT N1 Arrived - 5-18-2010
    Rooted - 7/4/2010

Running:
    Froyo FRF91 w/ root

Quote Originally Posted by Abrupt Demise View Post
    Are you using the stock recovery? If so, drop that sucker like a hot potato.

Flash on Amon-Ra Recovery and have fun installing mods all day long. You can also use it to backup your system image (VERY handy).
    I'm looking at the installation instructions for Amon-Ra here. The "Pre-Requirements" lists that it needs root access and links to Superboot, but Superboot is not yet available for FRF91. Do you really need root BEFORE flashing Amon-Ra? And if so, how do you obtain that? I have my bootloader unlocked and stock FRF91, but not sure if I flash the Amon-Ra recovery next or what.

Also, there seems to be a rooted FRF91 purely stock version [ame=http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67676#post67676]here[/ame], for anyone hesitant about "tweaked" ROMs like I am.

Sorry to double-post, but I just rooted my Nexus One from stock FRF91 with no problems! Here's what I did:

1. Unlock the bootloader
      Detailed instructions here, but essentially boot into fastboot and issue the fastboot oem unlock command. Note that this will do a factory restore, but if you've enabled web backup, all your applications will be downloaded again upon reboot. Boot normally to ensure everything is running fine after the restore.
    2. Flash the Amon-RA recovery image
      Download the latest image and follow directions here. Essentially, boot into fastboot again and issue fastboot flash recovery path-to-downloaded-file.img. This allows you to install custom packages.
    3. Download root package
      [ame=http://htcpedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67676#post67676]Download the "update.zip" file from the "Root" section here[/ame] containing su, superuser.apk, and busybox and copy it to your phone's SD card. Boot your phone into recovery mode (which will be the new Amon-RA recovery mode) and Flash the zip file.
    4. Reboot and enjoy
      Applications requiring root will now function! Take screenshots, change trackball colors, etc. Hooray!

** Be sure to checksum all downloaded files against the MD5 hashes listed with the files! ** A corrupt download here can do bad things to your phone.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links