Nexus Maintenance, What To Do TO Keep Things Running Smoothly?

This is a discussion on Nexus Maintenance, What To Do TO Keep Things Running Smoothly? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi Guys, New to the site and 2 months into owning my Nexus. I absolutely love it. I had a Bold 9700 prior and would ...

Thread: Nexus Maintenance, What To Do TO Keep Things Running Smoothly?

Nexus Maintenance, What To Do TO Keep Things Running Smoothly?

Hi Guys,

New to the site and 2 months into owning my Nexus. I absolutely love it. I had a Bold 9700 prior and would do routine things like memory cleaning, an app that would do a 'battery pull', just routine stuff that made sure the phone always ran smooth. Any tips or apps or anything I should be doing to make sure my Nexus runs smooth and in tip/top shape? Thanks for any help. Also, if anyone knows any must have apps, themes etc. feel free to let me know, all my friends have iphones so they are no help.

Thanks again.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Apps to get:

**= Maintenance

-LauncherProBeta

-eStrongs file manager**
    -Advanced Task Manager**
    -SystemPanel**
    -DropBox(https://www.dropbox.com/tour)**
    -USA Today
    -Weather Channel
    -Pandora ( not sure if it came with phone )
    -Movies or Flixster
    -AppBrain(manage and backup all your apps & get reviews from top rated apps)**
    -Places directory
    -Chrome to Phone(Send links/images/files with a simple click of a button on your browser)
    -CNN News
    -Apps2SD**
    -Barcode Scanner(scan barcodes and QR codes for easy app installation)
    -Documents to go(open and edit PDF,PowerPoint,Word, and Excel)
    -DoodleJump(very addicting game)
    -Finance(stocks)
    -RingDroid(create ringtones)
    -ScoreCenter(ESPN scores)
    -Shazam(song identifier)
    -Twitter
    -YellowPages

Just a few apps that I use consistently.

Hey thanks. you use the antivirus at all?

IMHO less is more(I'm referring to the sysadmin stuff,not the other apps). Let the system manage things, the time you spend micro managing it is time down the toilet. I admit, it's handy to be running some sort of task management program,but keep in mind that permissions have changed with froyo and one task can't kill the services started by another,so killing tasks constantly will just leave hanging processes gobbling up precious memory! Free memory is deceptive in android - it might seem apps you've quit are still eating up memory but they aren't. They still live in memory,yes,so that starting up again is fast,but the instant another application needs it, memory is cleared. Since I stopped micro managing,my phone runs much much better,assuming we're talking about a high end phone like the n1.
    About the only utility I strongly disagree with on that list,however,is apps2sd. Don't be tainting a well designed OS with hacks like that which were designed for early phones!

My 02c

DT

P.s. I haven't seen any AV worth spending money on yet. I think Norton has entered this market,but given they're the most bloated useless interfering crap code writers on the planet...they ain't touching my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by DThor View Post
    IMHO less is more(I'm referring to the sysadmin stuff,not the other apps). Let the system manage things, the time you spend micro managing it is time down the toilet. I admit, it's handy to be running some sort of task management program,but keep in mind that permissions have changed with froyo and one task can't kill the services started by another,so killing tasks constantly will just leave hanging processes gobbling up precious memory! Free memory is deceptive in android - it might seem apps you've quit are still eating up memory but they aren't. They still live in memory,yes,so that starting up again is fast,but the instant another application needs it, memory is cleared. Since I stopped micro managing,my phone runs much much better,assuming we're talking about a high end phone like the n1.
    About the only utility I strongly disagree with on that list,however,is apps2sd. Don't be tainting a well designed OS with hacks like that which were designed for early phones!

My 02c

DT

P.s. I haven't seen any AV worth spending money on yet. I think Norton has entered this market,but given they're the most bloated useless interfering crap code writers on the planet...they ain't touching my phone.
    Just a correction. Apps2sd is not a hack. It simply locates all your apps that devs have allowed to be moved to the sdcard, and lets you move them. It saves time, so you don't have to go one by one to each app and see if it can be moved.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by DThor View Post

My 02c

DT

I agree with iPhoneSlayer , App2Sd isn't a hack. Also, micro managing is time consuming and some can question whether it even makes a difference. Using system managing apps a few times a week wouldn't do the phone no harm.

Most system management apps give you valuable information regarding your phone's CPU usage, which apps are running and using the most data/battery, and information on the amount of space left on internal and external memory.

There are other outlets to find out this information , but with a managing app, it's just a simple click of a finger =).

As far as the anti-virus goes, I learned from the noob days haha. I used lookout( which isn't too bad ) and Norton ( which toyed with my phones volume). However, I use Prey just in case my phone were to get stolen. I would avoid any anti-virus applications, but that it my opinion.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links