Nexus One Fm tuner

This is a discussion on Nexus One Fm tuner within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by dd4005 That's a reason to listen to a radio station, true. It's not a reason to listen to it via crappy FM ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Nexus One Fm tuner

Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    That's a reason to listen to a radio station, true. It's not a reason to listen to it via crappy FM (that's even crappier via a small device with no large antenna) though. Where I live, there are 5 local FM radio stations, all of them stream via the web. Where I grew up there are 3 or 4 local FM radio stations, all of them stream via the web. I don't know of a single radio station in the world that doesn't stream.
    You don't know a station in the world that does not stream? However did you find the time to sample hundreds of thousands of stations?
    I know many stations that either do not broadcast via streaming or do so in a format that's not compatible with the phone. Not all of the world is compact like Europe. There are many areas in Canada where I cannot get 3G access. On top of that it's not as cheap as it is in other countries. I love my nexus one, but I REALLY miss the FM radio built into my old Nokia.
    Just because it's of no use to you does not mean it's of no use to others.

I just downloaded an app called "Y! Music" from the market. It shows streamed content under a number of categories, including news, and local. May not be the ideal solution for you, Wooba, but it may offer an alternative or two to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooba View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dd4005 View Post
    That's a reason to listen to a radio station, true. It's not a reason to listen to it via crappy FM (that's even crappier via a small device with no large antenna) though. Where I live, there are 5 local FM radio stations, all of them stream via the web. Where I grew up there are 3 or 4 local FM radio stations, all of them stream via the web. I don't know of a single radio station in the world that doesn't stream.
    You don't know a station in the world that does not stream? However did you find the time to sample hundreds of thousands of stations?
    I know many stations that either do not broadcast via streaming or do so in a format that's not compatible with the phone. Not all of the world is compact like Europe. There are many areas in Canada where I cannot get 3G access. On top of that it's not as cheap as it is in other countries. I love my nexus one, but I REALLY miss the FM radio built into my old Nokia.
    Just because it's of no use to you does not mean it's of no use to others.
    Oh
    I guess if you're in Canada in somewhere like Dog River then I guess the local station wouldn't bother streaming. Makes sense. I was only trying to get across how disappointed people would probably be with the FM reception from their phone. I had a phone with FM built-in and after trying it once or twice (in Manhattan) I gave up forever. It was just like the reception on some MP3 players I had 10 years ago and pocket radios I had as a kid. There was always the white-noise as you moved around and the stereo signal switched to mono (the constant hiss sound). I'm simply assuming the FM signal in the Nexus One would be equally bad. If you really missed the FM you had in your Nokia, then perhaps FM reception has moved on. I hope the N1 doesn't disappoint you then and not be at least as good as the Nokia was.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

I too am interested in the FM capabilities of the N1. Receiving FM broadcasts would be ok, but specifically, if the radio chip could be utilized to act as a transmitter, then I wouldn't have to plug in a separate 1/8" headphone jack to FM transmitter in my car.

Choice is good.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusDro View Post
    It seems like some people here have this misconception that fm radio = music. There are radio stations with news, talk shows, etc. It takes less battery to listen to them.
    Which is why I would love an AM radio on my cell... knowing full well *that* will never happen...

Well, read this on XDA FM transmiter/reciver - xda-developers
    It stops in April, so maybe the thread jumped to a developers section or its just abandoned. FM tuner is there, but no driver support (as of April).

If you want FM radio on Nexus One, please vote in the following sites:

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=7073
    http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=6332

Quote Originally Posted by nickshertzer View Post
    Well, read this on XDA FM transmiter/reciver - xda-developers
    It stops in April, so maybe the thread jumped to a developers section or its just abandoned. FM tuner is there, but no driver support (as of April).
    It is also unknown whether there is an FM antenna. Most small devices like this share the headphone cord as an FM antenna.

this is good, i like the dev on this. I have read a lot about it.

As far as people saying use Pandora or whatever, people also listen to NPR and sports talk like myself.

Lucky for me, the Cherry Rplayer broadcasts my local sports and talk stations so I'm good with it.

Its something useful if you don't want to burn your data alive, for some people in other countries where unlimited data doesn't exist or is too expensive.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links