Nexus One Fm tuner

This is a discussion on Nexus One Fm tuner within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; By Ross Miller posted Jul 13th 2010 at 3:41PM As you may or may not be already aware, the Nexus One and HTC Desire have ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nexus One Fm tuner

Nexus One Fm tuner

By Ross Miller posted Jul 13th 2010 at 3:41PM

As you may or may not be already aware, the Nexus One and HTC Desire have the same Broadcom chip. Seems trivial at cursory glance until you realize the Desire has a FM radio app, which should ergo be just as feasible on the Google-branded device. Cut to xda-developers' intersectRaven, who's released a custom N1 kernel that theoretically brings life to the FM receptor. It's available to download, but as for when you'll get a chance to really use this yourself, that's entirely up to the custom ROM developers updating their respective wares. For his part, Paul O'Brien said today he's already got it working on an upcoming Froyo Sense build for the device -- hang tight, folks, it's coming.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've seen the UI on before, and also know it will "tune", but no adio has come out.

I'll beleive it only when I hear it.

I am also skeptical.
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

It'll sound like garbage anyway - radios without a proper large antenna always are. Much better off just using a streaming radio service.

Surely y'all have tried a built-in FM receiver in an MP3 player before that uses the headphones/earphones as the antenna. Remember how much it sucked?
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

it will be garbage. . . nice find tho.
    iphoneeee killaaaaaaaaaa :nexusx:

Quote Originally Posted by ninjacat View Post
    it will be garbage. . . nice find tho.
    I really really don't know why anyone wants it. If you're at home/work then you can stream web radio for free over wifi. If you've got an unlimited data contract then you can do it over 3G/4G or even Edge/Gprs for free. If you're in the car then, well you know. In the rare occasions where you're not able to get a streamed radio station, play some MP3s from the SD card. I can't imagine any situation where I'd want to use the built-in FM radio.
    o- Nexus One running CyanogenMod 6.0
    o- Samsung Galaxy Tab running stock Froyo (update: running Gingerbread and virtually useless)

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yeah I really don't understand the fascination in the tuner. It's old technology as far as my opinion counts. I can understand a time back in 05 this would be useful but I've always hated radio transmitters for cars. I felt like I was adjusting rabbit ears.
    Androidfied.

i want a transmitter
    If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness, it's possible that I'm a little too awesome.

I had FM on a couple of Nokias I own before getting the Nexus 1, I would like FM on it, the only time I listen to radio is when I am driving, I would not use it much but in the evening going for a walk, or when I travel to keep up with local traffic, news, etc, If there is a power failure (it does happen) for news, or just to have it is nice, it does come in handy sometimes. Hope they get it working. I believe the Desire has it because it is sold more outside North America, and radio outside of North America is still used allot, Nexus being primarily sold in North America FM is not used much. Also missing the FM transmitter is something I had in the Nokia's came in handy for streaming music to the radio in the car. its just nice to have.

Forget radio use Pandora so much better and don't have to listen to commercials
    Iphone has an app for that.......Nexus does not need apps its already perfect

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links