Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock

This is a discussion on Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Nokia N8 can be called a true world phone, as it can use all frequencies for voice (4 of them) and data (5 of them)....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock

Nokia N8 can be called a true world phone, as it can use all frequencies for voice (4 of them) and data (5 of them).

Thank you for the clarification!

no problem

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    You have two separate receivers. 2G and 3G.

What is commonly called quadband refers strictly to (what we call) voice band, and it is as follows: 850/900/1800/1900

For Data/Internet usage there are the 3G frequencies: 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Your confusion comes from the fact that the frequencies (some of them) look identical.
    Not sure if I read your explanation properly. But both 2G and 3G are capable of carrying both voice and data. You are right about the phone having two separate receivers for 2G and 3G. For example, if your phone is on 3G, voice and data are both transmitted on the 3G network. To keep it short, 3G doesn't only mean data/internet usage. In fact, Wind Mobile in Canada is a 3G-only carrier. Also, Bell/Telus's new network is 3G only. That means GSM (2G) phones without 3G receivers will not work with Wind/Bell/Telus.

BELL/TELUS use WCDMA now (which is still considered GSM).

You can have an iPhone work on T-Mobile network, however voice only. No 3G data.

Here you go:

List of 3G bands by country:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands[/ame]

I went with the T-Mobile version as I'm about to move to Italy

Edit: no clue what the red x that keeps getting inserted into my link is all about

T-Mobile in EU does not use 1700 used in US.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    Nokia N8 can be called a true world phone, as it can use all frequencies for voice (4 of them) and data (5 of them).
    I REALLY want this to be my next phone. PERIOD. I'm just concerned that's with this being the first and last phone to be built with Symbian ^3 OS that it's outdated before it ever got released. I don't too much care that it runs on 600mHz cause Nokia has always been great at designing phones to run good. Plus it has a video processor also.

But I might waste money just to say I have a rarity. I miss Nokia.
    Androidfied.

From what I've heard Nokia's are prone to freeze. I don't know about the new OS if does the same or not.

Usually Symbian is very light therefore it does not require a super fast CPU.

For portability (intercontinental travel) and a few other standard features, (on the paper at least) it makes a great phone to have.
    Divx, radio, second camera for video call, able to receive files via bluetooth (mp3's ringtones, etc).

Looks like a little deep digging and found this:

Using the phone with a SIM card from your mobile service provider : Place an order - Nexus One Help

Turns out the vast majority of wireless providers use:

3G/UMTS Bands - 1/4/8 (2100/AWS/900)

This corresponds to Singapore, Hong Kong, UK and even some Canadian providers. It seems the T-mobile version is the preferred version except, I'm on AT&T. Bummer!

Then the price is ridiculously high at $530, double bummer! Maybe I will just get an HTC Aria....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links