Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock

This is a discussion on Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So I'm on ATT now and considering switching to T-mobile and getting the Nexus One. I'm wondering: a) What the difference is between AT&T version ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock

Noob questions about Nexus One: ATT vs. Tmobile, unlock

So I'm on ATT now and considering switching to T-mobile and getting the Nexus One.

I'm wondering:

a) What the difference is between AT&T version and T-Mobile version of Nexus One when it comes to standard compliance in wireless? I understand the wireless data is the only difference, but what do people use in Europe? I travel frequently to Europe and need a phone that works both places?

edit: To clarify, I was referring to the wireless 3G frequencies. What are the standard frequency used for 3G and which carrier uses this frequency?

b) Is the Nexus One regardless of carrier, carrier unlocked from Google?

c) Is there another Google Phone on the horizon? ... or any other HTC GSM based Android phone?

d) Is Nexus One the phone that is most likely to get future support for newer Android updates?

I did some searches, but found mostly hostile threads. Answers were few and far between.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

a) I can't really answer. GSM is the world standard, but I don't know what radio freqs are used over there.

b) Yes, it's carrier unlocked regardless. Only difference is radio frequencies for 3G.

c) As yet, Google has not announced another directly marketed Android phone. In fact, recently the CEO suggested that they really didn't need a Nexus Two.

d) Absolutely. So far, it's the only phone to have Froyo, and it's just as likely to get Gingerbread first.

Welcome to the forum, lee. You found a great source of info about the Nexus here, and a great community of supporters to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    a) I can't really answer. GSM is the world standard, but I don't know what radio freqs are used over there.

b) Yes, it's carrier unlocked regardless. Only difference is radio frequencies for 3G.

c) As yet, Google has not announced another directly marketed Android phone. In fact, recently the CEO suggested that they really didn't need a Nexus Two.

d) Absolutely. So far, it's the only phone to have Froyo, and it's just as likely to get Gingerbread first.

Welcome to the forum, lee. You found a great source of info about the Nexus here, and a great community of supporters to help you out.
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the answers.

Let me clarify, my concern with the wireless has to do with the different frequencies for 3G. What is the standard? I understand, one of the two carriers, ATT and Tmobile, uses a non-standard frequency. Is that correct?

Why aren't both frequencies just included on Nexus One?

Since T-Mobile is a monster in Europe, I would suggest looking into them. I believe Nexus One help lines are still up and running. This is exactly what they set it up for... give 'em a call!

a) both devices will work just fine in Europe on 2100 MHz.

In US T-Mobile uses a different frequency than in Europe (1700 here in US), So to get the T-Mo version because T-Mo in EU is everywhere does not make sense, but it will work regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    a) both devices will work just fine in Europe on 2100 MHz.

In US T-Mobile uses a different frequency than in Europe (1700 here in US), So to get the T-Mo version because T-Mo in EU is everywhere does not make sense, but it will work regardless.
    So to confirm, the US uses a different frequency than Europe with T-mobile. So stick with the AT&T version?

Since both ATT and Tmobile versions have the 2100mhz band, both will work in Europe.

Like he said.

It doesn't make any difference which one you get. Both will work in Europe.

Over in Europe they prefer 900/2100

Here in US At&T uses 850 primarily and T-Mobile 1700.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    Like he said.

It doesn't make any difference which one you get. Both will work in Europe.

Over in Europe they prefer 900/2100

Here in US At&T uses 850 primarily and T-Mobile 1700.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those frequencies used for voice. My understanding was data, specifically 3g, used different frequencies.

I think the OP is asking what version of the phone will work best on Europe's 3g network.

You have two separate receivers. 2G and 3G.

What is commonly called quadband refers strictly to (what we call) voice band, and it is as follows: 850/900/1800/1900

For Data/Internet usage there are the 3G frequencies: 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Your confusion comes from the fact that the frequencies (some of them) look identical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links