Internal memory and SD card memory

This is a discussion on Internal memory and SD card memory within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; How much space do you guys have on your internal phone storage. I have a moderate amount of apps and no music files at all ...

Thread: Internal memory and SD card memory

Internal memory and SD card memory

How much space do you guys have on your internal phone storage. I have a moderate amount of apps and no music files at all and I have about 40 MB available. Is this about average?

I know in Froyo 2.2 you can move apps to the SD card but majority of my apps barely reach 1 MB (besides a few like Google Earth, Handcent, etc...). My brother has about the same amount of apps as me but his available storage is over 100 MB!?! The main difference is that I have a handful of large pics for my wallpaper.

So my question is: What can be taking up all my memory.

When I upload a pic from my PC onto my phone via USB, does it automatically go onto the SD card or is there a special folder that I missed?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You probably have a lot of data in cache. Also, depending on what apps you're running they could have a large cache too.

You can clear browser cache & history to reclaim space. That's a good place to start.
    Go into browser then Menu > Settings > More > Clear cache / Clear history

For Application caches fo to home screen the Menu > settings > Applications > Manage applications. Go into each one an see if there is a large cache value.

Just a FYI - If a cache is working properly, you should never need to clear it. The old files will drop out automatically, being placed by newer files from sites/apps you use. The cache makes web pages or apps load much faster by not needing to download files again and again.

You can have only 1% memory left and the phone should run properly. Having unused memory does not help your phone (or computer) run any faster. If it is unused, it is unused.

When I connect my phone to my PC via USB to transfer pictures, do I need to create a special folder so that the pics go straight to the SD or does it do it automatically?

I could not find a specific folder for pics. I noticed all my pics are in a folder called "dcim." I also noticed a folder named "images" but it's empty. How can I make sure that all of the files (pics and music) are going to my SD card?

Thanks

@ Kevin_808

The phone's camera will put all photos into dcim on your SD card.

When you move images/mp3/etc from your computer to your phone... yes, you are moving them to the SD card. You can put them where ever you like. You can create special directories (folders) and name them anything you like. The phone will find files by file type no matter where they are if you don't nest the directories more than 2Xs.

List of Apps that Move to SD

You might like to have a look see here -

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...n-move-sd.html

These are a list of Apps that move to SD - post Froyo

Would appreciate your contributions

Thank you

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links