Navigation without a destination

This is a discussion on Navigation without a destination within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth Originally Posted by Gwhiz2k Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth The only thing I would like to see is Google incorporate Street View ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navigation without a destination

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwhiz2k View Post
    The only thing I would like to see is Google incorporate Street View with navigate. But I guess I can see y'all perspective on a 3d view of the Navi maps.
    Street view IS incorporated with Navigation. You can street-view any point on your route, going first to a static image, then further to the fully pan-able street-view of it. I use that all the time to see where I'm going.
    Google does not let you navigate image by image with street view, which is what I'm referring to. And if you are on 2.2 the only time street view will show the image is at the end location. It used to to allow you to view the street image for each turns, that option is no longer avail. Satellite images and street view are two different things

Prove me wrong?
    Hmmm.. To be honest, I haven't tried Navigation much yet with FroYo... I can't even check, as my phone is in for repairs @ HTC, but if that's right, why would they take away a useful feature like that? I certainly used it a number of times...
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar

Street view IS incorporated with Navigation. You can street-view any point on your route, going first to a static image, then further to the fully pan-able street-view of it. I use that all the time to see where I'm going.
    Google does not let you navigate image by image with street view, which is what I'm referring to. And if you are on 2.2 the only time street view will show the image is at the end location. It used to to allow you to view the street image for each turns, that option is no longer avail. Satellite images and street view are two different things

Prove me wrong?
    Hmmm.. To be honest, I haven't tried Navigation much yet with FroYo... I can't even check, as my phone is in for repairs @ HTC, but if that's right, why would they take away a useful feature like that? I certainly used it a number of times...
    Yeah I thought the same. There was another thread about Navigation and I was trying to replicate the street view turns as I was able to on 2.1. I always thought that was a great feature, but when I investigated more the street view icon that used to be in corner was replaced with the turn by turn icon. I tried everything to replicate the street view turn and unless I'm wrong is no longer an option, which I think sucks to be frank. Hopefully they release a new version that will allow it or something.
    Androidfied.

I guess. If you don't mind me asking why would you need to know the upcoming street if you don't have a destination to go to? Just curious..
    Well I work as a deputy sheriff and when we do traffic stops we put out our location to dispatch using the street we are on and the next cross street. Which is why I would like the navigation view.

Update your google maps. This has now been implement to use navigation as stand alone with no destination.

How can you not love google!

And I stand corrected. I see the usefulness of using navigation as opposed to Google map.
    Androidfied.

Almost there....just need it to show the next cross street like it shows the current street you are on then it will be perfect for me. Where do I go to put this in as a feature request?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre51 View Post
    Almost there....just need it to show the next cross street like it shows the current street you are on then it will be perfect for me. Where do I go to put this in as a feature request?

Either comment in the Market, or go to Google support forums.

Maps, Earth, Latitude - Google Mobile Help
    Androidfied.

Thanks, one more step and I will have a perfect GPS solution for my needs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links