Navigation without a destination

This is a discussion on Navigation without a destination within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Is there anyway to use the navigation app without inputing a destination and still have it showing the regular navigation view?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigation without a destination

Navigation without a destination

Is there anyway to use the navigation app without inputing a destination and still have it showing the regular navigation view?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    That defeats the purpose of navigation. Just use google map for that.
    Androidfied.

Doesn't defeat it for my purposes. There are purposes for just wanting the navigation view without having an active destination. For instance it spells out the next cross street at the top of the screen which is useful for me at work. Which is why I use a garmin now but would rather use the google navigation with its updated maps.

So back to the question is there any way to view the navigation view without an active destination? The google maps won't work for what I need.

I would love that feature too.

I guess. If you don't mind me asking why would you need to know the upcoming street if you don't have a destination to go to? Just curious. I just figured Google maps would be good enough using the satellite view with streets showing.

But to answer your initial question. No. But I'm sure there might be one in the market that may.
    Androidfied.

The navigation view was FAR superior to the map view, although Google has made the map view much better. Now there is still a gap that most people would perfer to have the nav view and functions going instead of just the map.
    Nexus One and luvin it
    Rooted 5/6/2010
    Enomther 2.10.1 Froyo Release

The only thing I would like to see is Google incorporate Street View with navigate. But I guess I can see y'all perspective on a 3d view of the Navi maps.
    Androidfied.

ANYONE WHO EVER USED AMAZEGPS

Download - amAze free maps and affordable GPS Navigation for your mobile phone#

It will take you to the downloading WAP link.
    Then just follow up the downloading instructions with your phone browser.

I used to use this on my Samsung and thought it was a great GPS. I don't know if it will do what you as far as no destination GPS. But they have a Google Nexus version. Just have to browse the the HTC phones. It's a license program though. Which sucks cause it used to be free. Nowhere near the level of Google though.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    The only thing I would like to see is Google incorporate Street View with navigate. But I guess I can see y'all perspective on a 3d view of the Navi maps.
    Street view IS incorporated with Navigation. You can street-view any point on your route, going first to a static image, then further to the fully pan-able street-view of it. I use that all the time to see where I'm going.
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhiz2k View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post
    Street view IS incorporated with Navigation. You can street-view any point on your route, going first to a static image, then further to the fully pan-able street-view of it. I use that all the time to see where I'm going.
    Google does not let you navigate image by image with street view, which is what I'm referring to. And if you are on 2.2 the only time street view will show the image is at the end location. It used to to allow you to view the street image for each turns, that option is no longer avail. Satellite images and street view are two different things

Prove me wrong?
    Androidfied.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links