Mobile Network Type Question

This is a discussion on Mobile Network Type Question within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi all. I just noticed something that bothers me a little. I don't know enough about this to know if it should or not. I ...

Thread: Mobile Network Type Question

Mobile Network Type Question

Hi all. I just noticed something that bothers me a little. I don't know enough about this to know if it should or not. I am asking you.

I just looked into my phone status for some reason. Just looking around I guess. Anyway, I see "signal strength" runs around 85 to 95dBm ... 12 to 8asu.
    Don't know anything about that. What is bothering me is this..
    Mobile network type is: GPRS
    Shouldn't that be something else. I was thinking that GPRS was kind of old. Hope I am wrong.

I never looked at this when I was on T-Mobile or AT&T. Now I am on Simple Mobile and I see this. Thanks for your help...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well... mine was HSDPA. Try checking *#*#4636#*#* and look it up at Phone Info.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

I found this on the internet. Explains a lot to me and I see that my N1 is not running what it should be. Mine is set (I suppose by the carrier) to GSM. I tried setting it too all the other ones listed below and it kept going back to GSM. After going through them all, I set it to "unknown" it stayed but I didn't like it being unknown so set it to "WCDMA" and it stayed this time. Only it hasn't changed my Network Type. It still says: GPRS.

For simplicity, there are two main types of cell carriers, GSM and CDMA.
    The following popular data communication technology is associated with each cell carrier type:

GSM = GPRS (2g), EDGE(2g), UMTS(3g), WCDMA(3g), HSDPA(3g) {Cell Carrier examples: AT&T and T-Mobile}
    CDMA = CDMA*(2/3g) EV-DO(3g) WiMax(3/4g) {Cell Carrier examples: Verizon and Sprint}

Now that the general stuff is out of the way, here's my take on the Preferred Network types:

WCDMA preferred - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 3G is favored more.
    GSM only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    WCDMA only - The GSM phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    GSM auto (PRL) - The GSM phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more. This one is a bit confusing to me since PRL is associated mostly with CDMA technology and not GSM technology.
    CDMA auto (PRL) - The CDMA phone is capable of using both 2G and 3G data communication and when signal strength is low 2G is favored more.
    CDMA only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 2G data communication. When the 2G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    EvDo only - The CDMA phone is capable of using only 3G data communication. When the 3G signal is too low you get nothing at all.
    GSM/CDMA auto (PRL) - Some phones are equipped with both GSM and CDMA capabilities. This setting appears to just have the phone attempt to stay connected to the data communication type that works the best. (Maybe the Samsung Galaxy S will take advantage of this???)
    Unknown - If none of the above fit or the phone is acting weird as far as connecting to the carrier, you will see your preferred network type is set to this

When using the 'only' options you should still be able to make calls.

To put things into perspective, The Nexus One is set to WCDMA preferred as default and the Droid Incredible is set to CDMA auto (PRL).
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Quote Originally Posted by f0ul99 View Post
    Well... mine was HSDPA. Try checking *#*#4636#*#* and look it up at Phone Info.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Thank-you for this. I looked it up as you told me and found all those other settings.
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links