Keyboards collecting personal data

This is a discussion on Keyboards collecting personal data within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; As I am in search of a better keyboard I downloaded the beta version of better keyboard. A warning pops up that states my personal ...

Thread: Keyboards collecting personal data

Keyboards collecting personal data

As I am in search of a better keyboard I downloaded the beta version of better keyboard. A warning pops up that states my personal info including passwords/ CC numbers etc will be collected. Whats up with that??!! Should I be worried? Should I even bother with this app?
    On a related note, a lot of posts reference Swype but it's nowhere to be found in the Android market :iphone::iphone:

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I'm guessing it is warning you that the keyboard replacement app WILL see your passwords, CC numbers, and anything else you type. It COULD collect those items and send them to a central server.

The warning isn't saying the keyboard replacement app WILL do that.

If you stay with one of the popular ones, it shouldn't be a problem since if they started stealing your data, it would also be stealing a lot of other people's data and there would be a huge notice.

For me, that's one of the problems with all of these stupid warnings. Just about any app is dangerous. I would rather know that an app is really evil rather than say the app has the potential to be dangerous. But that would require code reviews, testing, and an approval cycle.
    :nexusx:

AT&T ne:nexusx:us S on AT&T
    AT&T ne:nexusx:us one on Taiwan Mobile [Missing in Taipei]
    Archos 70 with UrukDroid

Kind of the same question from my thread... is there no way of modifying what the app can access. I would like to bar games from accessing the internet.

I agree that while it's very nice getting the warnings, the upshot is you get de-sensitized to it and in the end just end up clicking through. For that reason I try not to try every last new app that comes out, I like a bit of history there so anything questionable tends to get spotted by other users(canaries in coal mines? ).

crsnwby: It's *really* easy to stop access to the internet - just click on airplane mode - that disconnects you. Whether or not you can still play your free game, who knows? As I mentioned in the other thread, that's why they have for-pay versions.

DT

This is not just for games, I dont want some apps reading my contacts or my call history. The game in question is not even their game its someone elses game ripped and put onto the market.

The ads are not because its the non pay version, there is no pay version.

"For me, that's one of the problems with all of these stupid warnings. Just about any app is dangerous. I would rather know that an app is really evil rather than say the app has the potential to be dangerous. But that would require code reviews, testing, and an approval cycle."

Which begs the question should we be using our "smart phones" so extensively for non-call related issues? Is it only a matter of time before data collection starts showing up as identity theft etc?

Quote Originally Posted by crsnwby View Post
    Kind of the same question from my thread... is there no way of modifying what the app can access. I would like to bar games from accessing the internet.
    Like I said in the other thread, if you don't like the access rights that the application is asking for, don't install it. So simple.

If someone wants to steal my credit card numbers and Identity...they would be sorely disappointed..
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links