Nexus One Discontinued???

This is a discussion on Nexus One Discontinued??? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I just read somewhere (can't find the article) that the Nexus One is being discontinued. Google got its last shipment of phones and that was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nexus One Discontinued???

Nexus One Discontinued???

I just read somewhere (can't find the article) that the Nexus One is being discontinued. Google got its last shipment of phones and that was going to be it for the beloved N1. Can anyone confirm or deny that? Are they going to sell it in stores or is that just it for our phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Yes and no. Google announced some time ago that they were going to close the on-line store, and this is just another step in that process.

The N1 will remain as Google's development phone, and will remain the first to get software updates. It will also continue to be sold to developers through their developer accounts. Further, they are planning to sell it through various retail locations around the world, though nothing has been announced for the US as of yet.

So, fear not! The Nexus will remain a strong and viable device for quite some time to come. I'm keeping mine no matter what happens!

Nexus One | News and Updates
    Earlier this year, we announced that we will be closing the Nexus One web store. This week we received our last shipment of Nexus One phones. Once we sell these devices, the Nexus One will no longer be available online from Google. Customer support will still be available for current Nexus One customers. And Nexus One will continue to be sold by partners including Vodafone in Europe, KT in Korea, and possibly others based on local market conditions.

To ensure our developers have access to a phone with the latest Android OS, Google will be offering the Nexus One through a partner for sale to registered developers. Visit the Android Market Publisher site and log into your developer account to purchase a Nexus One.

Sounds like they aren't offering it through retailers in America. It seems possible but unlikely.

Whenever this sort of unclear scenario happens with Google, it means they're trying to work something out with vendors, but it's not done yet. They'd rather say just what they know and no more - the same painful thing happened with the for-pay apps outside of the US. I do find them a little clumsy with this sort of thing, letting out the information that the 'last N1s have shipped' along with this vagueness. I think the N1 is a great phone, and still it's the go-to phone if you want the latest/greatness Android or you like to hack with less risk of bricking. It does put those that want a phone right now, though, in a tough place. I still think speed-wise it's more or less as good as anything else out there, but of course that's not sitting still.

DT

Tmo will still be offering in US, other companies may sell in other countries

Quote Originally Posted by killerbender View Post
    Tmo will still be offering in US, other companies may sell in other countries
    I hope that's true. Where are you getting that information from?

From now on the Nexus One will only be available through major retailers and carriers worldwide in the "classical" way.

HTC is still manufacturing N1 units and will continue to do so!

I'll be keeping mine for a very long time. It's gonna take some major mojo to get me to change and I don't see anything remotely attractive at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    I'll be keeping mine for a very long time. It's gonna take some major mojo to get me to change and I don't see anything remotely attractive at this point.
    Same here!

The N1 does everything I need, flawlessly and in a perfect way, running the latest 2.2 build. So why change ?! :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links