N1 Dies, Now What?

This is a discussion on N1 Dies, Now What? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I'm very appreciative of Google for coming out with a phone that is totally free of carrier control. Hal should be too instead of throwing ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: N1 Dies, Now What?

I'm very appreciative of Google for coming out with a phone that is totally free of carrier control.

Hal should be too instead of throwing a tantrum that Google didn't overthrow the cellular carriers (which isn't possible anyways)

No Future

dudewithaplan - Engadget was never hooked the way I was. I thought it was going somewhere. I feel duped.

csrnwby - I don't want AT&T as a carrier. I expected to see a Nexus Two to move forward with technology. And my dream was to someday buy a phone and making a carrier deal separately. It didn't work out.

AndroidIsTheTruth - You're right. Shut it down. Nexus One Forum has outlived it's value. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    dudewithaplan - Engadget was never hooked the way I was. I thought it was going somewhere. I feel duped.

csrnwby - I don't want AT&T as a carrier. I expected to see a Nexus Two to move forward with technology. And my dream was to someday buy a phone and making a carrier deal separately. It didn't work out.

AndroidIsTheTruth - You're right. Shut it down. Nexus One Forum has outlived it's value. Sad.
    You have not been duped! Google has said it will stop selling them on-line! That doesn't mean it will not sell anywhere in stores. The fact that they haven't mentioned a partnership to sell the Nexus One in the US, may mean they are working out a deal to do so in the future! Google never threw out the towel, I assure you all news from any gadget website news source is being told wrong. Google is simply just not selling them On-line.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix View Post
    The Goolge online store is the only thing changing. HTC is still making the phone, and it is being sold in stores. Also you can still by one direct from Google when the online store does close by registering on their developer site. It costs a one time fee of $25, but you can rest knowing you will always be able to buy one if you need to. As the previous poster said the N1 is THE phone of choice for the devs, so it will always get the latest updates first.
    This is where some people fail to look at. He is right, Google will still sell the Nexus One to 'devs'.

Sooo, that is good. In all, i'm still going to buy a backup Nexus One. We all know AT&T is far behind in Android phones. I will be clinging to my Nexus for a good while!

I get it

ap3604 - Trantrum? Obviously you don't have kids. Clearly the intent of the N1 was to shake up the industry. But the bigger picture was providing leadership going forward. Technology moves fast these days, a Nexus Two would be appropriate. Maybe there will be one but it'll be just another HTC device. It's not the same. HTC isn't going to provide leadership. In fairness, maybe it was just too much for Google. They lost control and now they should concentrate on getting all the disparate systems on the same platform.

Krew - Google gave up the Brand. There's plenty of Android phones now (arguably maybe better than N1 already). I think N1 is history, likely no N2, We'll see what happens next.

Sheanzy - Did you catch the rumors of 2 Ghz Gingerbread unit from HTC by year-end? Unless you're buying a backup N1 for you museum.......

WERA689 - Where did they say N1 is THE phone? I'm not a Developer, just a FanBoy. I don't get the "valiant attempt" Kudos. On a relative basis I feel I did more than they did to promote change, ie. $500 N1 made a bigger dent in my net worth than there six months and out did in theirs.

Svenner - I'm very happy with my N1 too. But unsure of the future. I was about to get another for the wife, but I look around and it appears the Android market is in disarray and it was basically handed over to the manufactures and carriers.

bobbyphoenix - How do you know HTC is continuing N1 production? What stores? Isn't HTC getting spread thin? Many models, carriers, Android software versions. Why would they continue a limit distribution N1 over the carrier pushed models? They have their hands full. Ongoing lawsuits, competition from Samsung, Moto, etc. Again, I'm not a developer. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum but I don't get it.

As I said, I'm simply disappointed. Gingerbread may be looking at 2Ghz CPUs and 1MB+ memory minimums. Who knows what. I'm hoping for dual radio, GSM/CDMA. N1 Hardware will be left behind. That's fine in the fast moving world, but I fear we've lost a leader.
    Google's statement about the "last of the N1's" said quite clearly that developers will still be able to buy the device through their developer accounts. They also said that it was still their primary development device for Android.
    As for the Kudos, I think they at least took a strong shot at changing the way people do business with cell phones. I can say with certainty that there are things that I can do with the N1 that buyers of the Captivate will not be able to do, even after they get Froyo. Such as tethering without extra charges and having Froyo already, for starters.

As to continued production, well, the fact that the phone will be available from various providers around the world pretty clearly indicates that it will remain in production, just not sold by Google any more.

And as far as having the specs to run Gingerbread, they've already debunked the rumors that GB will require more hardware than the N1 has. We know we have the hardware to handle GB.

Maybe you should do more research before you launch a rant like this. All the info I've referred to has been out there for more than a week now, and been discussed here at length.

ap3604 - Trantrum? Obviously you don't have kids. Clearly the intent of the N1 was to shake up the industry. But the bigger picture was providing leadership going forward. Technology moves fast these days, a Nexus Two would be appropriate. Maybe there will be one but it'll be just another HTC device. It's not the same. HTC isn't going to provide leadership. In fairness, maybe it was just too much for Google. They lost control and now they should concentrate on getting all the disparate systems on the same platform.

Krew - Google gave up the Brand. There's plenty of Android phones now (arguably maybe better than N1 already). I think N1 is history, likely no N2, We'll see what happens next.

Sheanzy - Did you catch the rumors of 2 Ghz Gingerbread unit from HTC by year-end? Unless you're buying a backup N1 for you museum.......
    You may be right about other Android phones that may be better, but the only newer thing I see in any Android phones is a front facing camera. Thats all I see that is new. Oh well I guess you only think of the negatives
    (Not that I am attacking you, I understand the recent news is too much for some people to stomach, since they just spend hard earned cash to buy the Nexus One, just to hear this news)

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar

No maybe you need to do the research and see this is like the 5th thread started within a week on top of the news section posting and same thing being explain over an over again about the situation of the discontinuation of the production of the phone.

Please research before making redundant thread of the same thing.
    Androidfied.

Not a Rant

Fair enough WERA689. Sorry Adminstrator, I started out to discuss the issue and I realize now open discussion don't work. I'm not a developer (I thought unlocked and rooted phones have been around awhile). I don't know how to research beyond what I've done with simple media communications. When I read the rumors of HTC 2Ghz, Android 3.0, 2 cameras, 10 Megapixels, 1080p, coming in 6 months and Google says they're out of the end user business, I think my hopes and dreams are over.

I apologize for not throughly reading the forum for the last week. I'll leave now.

Simple media reports, and thorough reading (rather than self-serving skimming) is all it would have taken to let the wind out of your sails, Hal. And it DOES become a rant when you refuse to hear the facts that dispute your conclusions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links