N1 Dies, Now What?

This is a discussion on N1 Dies, Now What? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; N1 shipments come to an end. Will N1 support Gingerbread upgrade? Or is the shutdown simply recognition that the N1 is truly a one year ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N1 Dies, Now What?

N1 Dies, Now What?

N1 shipments come to an end. Will N1 support Gingerbread upgrade? Or is the shutdown simply recognition that the N1 is truly a one year device. Could Gingerbread be the start of an entirely new generation?

Personally, I'm very disappointed in Google. They take a fail on changing the industry.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

They've made it very clear that the N1 will remain their development phone for the foreseeable future. Gingerbread will definitely be coming to us when it's ready.

So they were not able to change the entrenched industry model...so what? It was a valiant attempt to do more than tilt at windmills. Kudos to them for the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    N1 shipments come to an end. Will N1 support Gingerbread upgrade? Or is the shutdown simply recognition that the N1 is truly a one year device. Could Gingerbread be the start of an entirely new generation?

Personally, I'm very disappointed in Google. They take a fail on changing the industry.
    WOW. Are you serious?? At the very very least they tried. I for one am very happy with my unlocked phone which was previously not available to me in Canada. Yeesh cut them some slack ~

The Goolge online store is the only thing changing. HTC is still making the phone, and it is being sold in stores. Also you can still by one direct from Google when the online store does close by registering on their developer site. It costs a one time fee of $25, but you can rest knowing you will always be able to buy one if you need to. As the previous poster said the N1 is THE phone of choice for the devs, so it will always get the latest updates first.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post

You gotta be kidding me

Google want's to work WITH the carriers... not totally bankrupt their current business model

N1 Future, Fingers crossed

WERA689 - Where did they say N1 is THE phone? I'm not a Developer, just a FanBoy. I don't get the "valiant attempt" Kudos. On a relative basis I feel I did more than they did to promote change, ie. $500 N1 made a bigger dent in my net worth than there six months and out did in theirs.

Svenner - I'm very happy with my N1 too. But unsure of the future. I was about to get another for the wife, but I look around and it appears the Android market is in disarray and it was basically handed over to the manufactures and carriers.

bobbyphoenix - How do you know HTC is continuing N1 production? What stores? Isn't HTC getting spread thin? Many models, carriers, Android software versions. Why would they continue a limit distribution N1 over the carrier pushed models? They have their hands full. Ongoing lawsuits, competition from Samsung, Moto, etc. Again, I'm not a developer. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum but I don't get it.

As I said, I'm simply disappointed. Gingerbread may be looking at 2Ghz CPUs and 1MB+ memory minimums. Who knows what. I'm hoping for dual radio, GSM/CDMA. N1 Hardware will be left behind. That's fine in the fast moving world, but I fear we've lost a leader.

Hal,

Get the "engadget" app in the market. It has said this from the first leak that Google would be shutting the doors on I sales of the N1.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    ......sigh...... these threads are becoming very redundant.

This needs to be closed as well.
    Androidfied.

Quote Originally Posted by dudewithaplan View Post
    Hal,

Get the "engadget" app in the market. It has said this from the first leak that Google would be shutting the doors on I sales of the N1.

The word "Google" is the key here, the deivce is made by HTC, so now instead of buying it from google, you get it from AT&T direct now. Thats the only change.

I don't think it is dead...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links