Acquiring N1 (US) and moving to the UK

This is a discussion on Acquiring N1 (US) and moving to the UK within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hello all, I live in the Southern US and am currently on AT&T with my family. I want to get a Nexus One, but I ...

Thread: Acquiring N1 (US) and moving to the UK

Acquiring N1 (US) and moving to the UK

Hello all,
    I live in the Southern US and am currently on AT&T with my family. I want to get a Nexus One, but I will be moving to St Andrews, Scotland to go to university in the fall. I intend to travel a lot in the next few years, and will probably take out the SIM and just use wifi services to avoid roaming, etc.
    My question is: should I get my N1 unlocked in the US (while I still can) or wait and get one on a plan (most likely from Vodafone)? If I get an unlocked phone now, I will likely just buy prepaid minutes/data on the go based on what network has the best offerings for St Andrews.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by seatdistrict View Post
    Hello all,
    I live in the Southern US and am currently on AT&T with my family. I want to get a Nexus One, but I will be moving to St Andrews, Scotland to go to university in the fall. I intend to travel a lot in the next few years, and will probably take out the SIM and just use wifi services to avoid roaming, etc.
    My question is: should I get my N1 unlocked in the US (while I still can) or wait and get one on a plan (most likely from Vodafone)? If I get an unlocked phone now, I will likely just buy prepaid minutes/data on the go based on what network has the best offerings for St Andrews.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I think with an unlocked Nexus One you get cheaper plans which is better than the more expensive ones they force you to commit to. This is just one opinion, but I would go for an unlocked Nexus one from the US while you still can.

Voice and data plans in Europe are a lot cheaper than in US.

I don't see how you can use the phone over wifi over there as you mentioned. Skype?

Through a combination of Skype and Google Voice, or just by using my laptop for phone services. I'm now leaning towards getting it from google unlocked. Can anyone tell me which version would be better for the UK and Europe (the T-Mobile or AT&T version)?

GV doesn't work in EU.

Here's a topic to clarify the frequency issue:

http://www.nexusoneforum.net/forum/n...le-unlock.html

cxm
    you might want to have a look at t-mobile over here - you can get a sim-only contract for just 30 days while you are finding your feet and even with 10 or 15 you can get "unlimited" internet. I know that they get knocked over in US, but I know plenty of people who use them here and don't have an issue

Pay Monthly Sim Cards - Mobile Phone SIM Cards - T Mobile

Thanks. It looks like T-Mobile has pretty good coverage in St Andrews. I may get one with the T-Mobile frequencies and just wait until I move to get a SIM.

T-Mobile's fair use policy, however doesn't allow for instant messaging or VOIP, though it should be fine for getting settled in the first month.

Quote Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
    GV doesn't work in EU.
    I had forgotten about that. Guess I'll be sticking to Skype and hoping for an expansion of GV service.

Keep in mind that in EU you don't use your minutes if you receive a call, only when you call out. Incoming calls are free.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links