travelling to Italy and Spain in 2 weeks, taking att nexus one with me, will it work?

This is a discussion on travelling to Italy and Spain in 2 weeks, taking att nexus one with me, will it work? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; take your sim out and just use the wifi...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: travelling to Italy and Spain in 2 weeks, taking att nexus one with me, will it work?

take your sim out and just use the wifi

I just moved to Italy and swapped my prepaid T-Mo sim out for a prepaid Vodafone sim (I think it's called Vodafone Zero Limits). No issues, just make sure you switch it to the Euro band (dial *#*#4636#*#* and go to phone info, hit menu, select radio band, finally euro band). It's 3 euro a week, I can't remember my cap, but I only use the data plan for GPS, I use wifi for any heavy app updating/media usage. Sorry if this post is after the fact, but at least it might help someone.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippers View Post
    I just moved to Italy and swapped my prepaid T-Mo sim out for a prepaid Vodafone sim (I think it's called Vodafone Zero Limits). No issues, just make sure you switch it to the Euro band (dial *#*#4636#*#* and go to phone info, hit menu, select radio band, finally euro band). It's 3 euro a week, I can't remember my cap, but I only use the data plan for GPS, I use wifi for any heavy app updating/media usage. Sorry if this post is after the fact, but at least it might help someone.
    This is excellent info for me! I'm there in 2 weeks, and was wondering what to do.. All I knew for sure was that I was going to get a pre-paid Vodafone Sim

My Italian is not very good (read: Not at all), and I pretty much NEED a dataplan so I can use Google Translate to help me out in that regard, plus I need it for GPS and staying in contact with work back home over email.

Do you go to a store for this? Is it hard to find someone that speaks English?

Does anyone know if the instructions about switching to Euro band apply for the ATT&T/Rogers version of the N1 as well? Sorry for all the questions
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

I always suggest for everyone that travels to get a GV#, and make it your main number let everyone know and it will route your calls to your cell or if you are connected using GIZMO# with a SIP app it will route calls as a priority to that service using data only, that way you dont use minutes, when you travel abroad just get data service and turn on sip app and you will receive calls through the data network since google will route your calls there...

worst case scenario:international service blocking sip...

just search google for guides to do this
    I switched from Symbian to Android on January 6 2010...

...then I sold my N1 to get the AT&T version but I'll wait for a qwerty solution from google or better with AT&T band support and got the Nokia E75...

lol

Quote Originally Posted by giodelgado View Post
    I always suggest for everyone that travels to get a GV#, and make it your main number let everyone know and it will route your calls to your cell or if you are connected using GIZMO# with a SIP app it will route calls as a priority to that service using data only, that way you dont use minutes, when you travel abroad just get data service and turn on sip app and you will receive calls through the data network since google will route your calls there...

everyone that travels from the u.s. mate as not everyone has gvedit:meant to add use fring and it wont cost a thing i got 30 free mins in turkey

We can't get Google Voice in Canada
    Nexus One: "Hold it any way you want to!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gwhiz2k View Post

We can't get Google Voice in Canada
    i said the same mate on the post above so the rest of us should use fring

Quote Originally Posted by tonybhoy View Post

everyone that travels from the u.s. mate as not everyone has gvedit:meant to add use fring and it wont cost a thing i got 30 free mins in turkey
    oh sry, I though his service was in the u.s.
    I switched from Symbian to Android on January 6 2010...

...then I sold my N1 to get the AT&T version but I'll wait for a qwerty solution from google or better with AT&T band support and got the Nokia E75...

lol

voice and data plan are cheap in Europe. You only use your minute when you place a call not when you receive a call.
    All incoming calls are free.
    So, you will need a lot less minutes that what you are used to in the states, or Canada.

I'm in Italy now and I finally have the vodafone sim working on my phone and with data!

it was a colossal pain in the ass to figure out how to get things to work mainly because no one at the store knew what the f*ck they were talking about.

to get things setup first they need your passport. then you pay €20 for the sim card and you get €23 credit.

you need to make sure they set up the account for data. its €3/week for 500mb. which comes off your credit automatically. once youre on your way you have to wait until things start working!!

it took a couple hours until voice started working, 20 hours later I received a text that sms is active. and not till almost 30 hours after I bought the chip I got a msg that data is on.

unfortunately no one explained this properly so I thought something was wrong with my phone or the sim card. I tried all sorts of apn settings I read online that ended up costing me 10 euros cause I didn't know ypu had to wait to get the pay as you go data text message.

so far everything is working, its not cheap to make voice calls anywhere but the texting and data is a great deal.

my ripoff Canadian provider bell, sent me a 'welcome to Italy's message when I arrived, the assholes are charging $51.20/mb roaming data!!!

no need to change any apn settings in the phone BTW, I just picked vodafone IT at the top of the list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links