Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

This is a discussion on Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Originally Posted by BlindOne Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer however I do want to change the color of the taskbar; but not badly enough to root ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

Quote Originally Posted by BlindOne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    however I do want to change the color of the taskbar; but not badly enough to root
    That's the primary reason I use ADW, it hides the notification bar. (I think that's what you were talking about?)

My previous phone, the G1, definitely benefited from being rooted but I haven't figured out a good reason to root my Nexus. I'd like to see a real list of reasons.
    I use Launcher Pro Plus which also hides the bar, however I don't want to hide it, just change the color. The only way to do that is to root; but that's not a strong enough reason for me to root.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by BlindOne View Post
    however I do want to change the color of the taskbar; but not badly enough to root
    That's the primary reason I use ADW, it hides the notification bar. (I think that's what you were talking about?)

My previous phone, the G1, definitely benefited from being rooted but I haven't figured out a good reason to root my Nexus. I'd like to see a real list of reasons.
    I use Launcher Pro Plus which also hides the bar, however I don't want to hide it, just change the color. The only way to do that is to root; but that's not a strong enough reason for me to root.
    I do miss the the themes that I used with my G1.....the bright gray notification bar really annoys me. Looks much better dark.

The only 'benefit' I can think of that someone may argue is 720p HD recording with Cyanogen's new ROM. However, I cannot see a difference of quality when comparing the two, so that is out of the question.

I'd like to know some of these benefits too, especially after FroYo.

Had the N1 been branded by a carrier then I'd have rooted in a second! I did with my old SE w810i (well, not rooted but at least flashed generic firmware on it and gained a lot of extra functionality that had been crippled) But considering it was unbranded and unlocked, I too saw little to gain from rooting. Pre-Froyo, having a colour trackball *almost* made me do it... but I waited.

Well, this is from my humble personal experiences and maybe not the same as others. While I do not think there is a need of REAL whatsoever reason for rooting. It was a choice. Some root, some not. Everyone has their own reasons. For me, I am no engineer or some kind. I only know about Android when I bought my Nexus One on April. I survived 1 and a half week before rooted.

Long story short, after rooting my Nexus One, up to now, I can only say that the performance of custom ROMs + costum kernels were very good. My Nexus One operate much faster than stock. Even more, the battery life last longer. Mine can last about 38 - 40 hours on normal use when in my stock days that can't even past 10 hours.

I am also into theming because I love my Nexus One looks sexy inside. I love my theme, my glossy green highlighter very much. The trackball alert also cool. My top apps are nicely personalized with different colors. Ahh... I love LeoFroyo boot animation... If I don't like my ROM or messed up something, I'll just restore my nand backup and everything will be back as the last saved. Then flash another ROM. Tired of installing apps again?, just restore from Titanium Backup. Everything will be ok again.

IMHO, if there is any real reasons for me to root, it will be Customization. One more thing is the "feel" . I bought the first super smartphone in the world and it was a damn superb piece of technology. In order for me to take full advantage of this now-collector's item is to root it. So because I like Darth Vader then I root and joined the dark side (sorry). I mean that to me, what is the point buying something that I can't control? I want to use it yes, I want to explore it yes, I want to pimp it yes, I want to own it yes.... I am proud of myself and my Nexus One compared to puny Apple. Yeah no warranty. That is the risk to take. No OTA... Manual update is easy too. Oh you can nand backup before update just in case...

Well maybe all this is not enough for some to root, but to me, it worth it. I won't hesitate to do it if there is Nexus 2 after this (which is not ). They are awesome modders out there who always doing their great jobs for us rooters.

Again I say it. This is my experiences. Logically, if there is no benefit for me in rooting, I won't be doing it. Maybe there is more I forgot to mentioned. Anyway, root or not is a choice. Root if you want to customize and don't root if you like to wait. But if the need to root is just to have track ball color or black status bar or using Titanium Backup :sigh:..... then FORGET it. There is more to root than meet the eyes haha.... I'll play around with my Nexus One and if I found something, I'll post it hehe...

Oh yeah, 1 more thing. The truth is I can't remove those tasty and awesome thing because that is what I feel about it. And that is just me... Cheers...

Ditto on f0ul99's comments,

Nandroid (full image) back/restore was enough for me. No tedious installing of apps and redoing homescreens if something messed up your phone. And yes, why get a phone like this and not explore it's full potential. It would be like buying a Ferrari and only driving it to the grocery store. Each to their own.

Either way it's a great phone.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Does rooting help with volume?if so I might have too, after froyo my volume is pathetic.

Absolutely, I am on Modaco r23 and volume is definitely better. There are kernals out there you can install that directly impact volume.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    Absolutely, I am on Modaco r23 and volume is definitely better. There are kernals out there you can install that directly impact volume.

Ken
    REALLY? I didn't know that. So if you root your phone, you can make the volume louder? Is it much louder or just a little.
    Thank-you for this info.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

I'm too skerd! If I decided to root, I would need a diaper and a cigarette.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links