Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

This is a discussion on Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hard to give a percentage. I have been rooted a while and don't remember the exact volume before. Plus I had back surgery and on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

Hard to give a percentage. I have been rooted a while and don't remember the exact volume before. Plus I had back surgery and on a lot of meds. Bought phone during recovery for something to do.

I had a song ringtone I downloded from the net and used for my wife's ringtone. It was not that loud since the beginning of the song was softer than later in to it. Obviously, by the time I answered, the song never got to the louder part. I even missed calls while driving or ten feet away. No more, it is now loud enough to easily hear in the car and from maybe 20ft away. All this after rooting.

There are also apps you can buy that require root and give more control over your installed apps. Titanium BackUp is one. Root Explorer, I believe, is another.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

iPhoneSlayer,

It is a stressful experience especially for a newbie like me. Took awhile and a lot of RESEARCH to even get the SDK program installed that you need to root and do other phone rooting procedures. Even after that just the rooting process took time to figure and flashing my first ROM. Once you use a certain dev, the updates are easier to do. I am also learning how to use the Command Shell for ADB programming. All this is fun and educational for me. Scary sometimes, that why nandroid backups are so beneficial.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

3 pages of posts and so far I see no benefit to root the N1. That's what I figured.

One of my students just got an Evo on Sprint. His company had a plan with Sprint and since it was virtually free for him, he stayed there.

Downside - Sprint crams a lot of propriety software on the Evo, resulting in slow operation and spyware to report back to Sprint if you're tethering or other activities they charge extra for.

Solution - He rooted, removed all the crap and installed a custom RAM. Now there's an obvious benefit to rooting

For me, the #1 reason has always been battery life. I'm still blown away with SetCPU and the stock battery. On a heavy usage day I'm getting 25-27 hours out of it. I use to get 8-10 hours at most.

Sure I an charge it every night, but I like knowing I can do what I want from day to night using my phone and not worrying about charging.

No real benefit to owning a Ferrari either. All cars get you from point A to B. But, they are fun as hell to drive.

Ken

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Quote Originally Posted by rugmankc View Post
    iPhoneSlayer,

It is a stressful experience especially for a newbie like me. Took awhile and a lot of RESEARCH to even get the SDK program installed that you need to root and do other phone rooting procedures. Even after that just the rooting process took time to figure and flashing my first ROM. Once you use a certain dev, the updates are easier to do. I am also learning how to use the Command Shell for ADB programming. All this is fun and educational for me. Scary sometimes, that why nandroid backups are so beneficial.

Ken

There are educational values too in these Command Shell and ADB programming. In rooting we learn basically how to use it. Execution of these can be made via computer or via terminal in the phone itself. Some of these execution are flashing recovery (Amon-Ra, Clockwork etc.), flashing ROMs, flashing radio (this one is really scary), make SD partitions, transfer apps etc. At least I did learn something good.

Yeah you can get rid of those annoying bloatwares with custom ROMs. Rooting too now expanding to more type of smartphones. Even the one that have not gotten Froyo.

Well, that Ferrari thing is a very good example.

Still not too sure about rooting, but now I want a Ferrari!
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Just got my N1 last week. I love this thing but yeah the battery life is not too amazing...

Thats the main reason why I'm figuring out how to root this bad boy. Several people in this thread have mentioned getting significant improvements on battery life.

Isnt that reason enough?!

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    On a heavy usage day I'm getting 25-27 hours out of it. I use to get 8-10 hours at most.
    Wow, what planet are you on with 25 hour days? I kid... I know what you mean :rofl3:

Is battery life really that much better? Than I will be rooting soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links