Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

This is a discussion on Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; As you can probably tell, I am not very savvy when it comes to rooting phones and things of that nature. I was contemplating having ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

Since froyo came out any real benefits to rooting?

As you can probably tell, I am not very savvy when it comes to rooting phones and things of that nature. I was contemplating having a friend root my nexus for me, but with apps2sd and tethering now available with froyo, is there any other reasons I would want to root my phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well... many... Tasty Custom ROMs, kernels, customized themes, very good apps, extra speed, battery saving, no warranty and possibly higher percentage to brick... :-}

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

And you get a cool looking unlocked padlock icon on your boot screen.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

And you get a cool looking unlocked padlock icon on your boot screen.
    Oh yeah I forgot about this thanks. That padlock came in package with something called "awesomeness"... :-}

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Quote Originally Posted by f0ul99 View Post
    Well... many... Tasty Custom ROMs, kernels, customized themes, very good apps, extra speed, battery saving, no warranty and possibly higher percentage to brick... :-}
    I'd really love to see someone actually spell out the "real" benefits. For example: just being able to install custom ROMS is NOT an actuall benefit, it depends on what they do. Most people who give custom ROMs as a benefit never detail WHY it's a benefit.

Let's see someone create a "real" list of benefits. I don't think that most folks are going to find that modifying the haptic feedback parameters as much of a benefit.

And yes, I'm a highly tech savvy software engineer who has NOT rooted his Nexus One.

Well put, Beer! I also have not rooted my N1; partly because I find most of the developers of ROMs to be arrogant, egotistical and difficult, and partly because I just can't see what the "benefits" you allude to are.

Anyone want to take Beer's challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by WERA689 View Post
    Well put, Beer! I also have not rooted my N1; partly because I find most of the developers of ROMs to be arrogant, egotistical and difficult, and partly because I just can't see what the "benefits" you allude to are.

Anyone want to take Beer's challenge?
    Mmmm...Beer challenge!

Agreed! I'm not rooted either, however I do want to change the color of the taskbar; but not badly enough to root. I'll wait and see what goodies Gingerbread brings.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

I have not rooted either, l like my nexus just the way it is. Until someone can truly give me a real reason to root I don't see the point.
    One Nexus To Rule Them All!

Just remove all the tasty and awesome references, and look at the hard facts of exactly what you get. I haven't seen a good reason myself, unless you happen to like fiddling with your phone. I prefer using it, myself

DT

Quote Originally Posted by iPhoneSlayer View Post
    however I do want to change the color of the taskbar; but not badly enough to root
    That's the primary reason I use ADW, it hides the notification bar. (I think that's what you were talking about?)

My previous phone, the G1, definitely benefited from being rooted but I haven't figured out a good reason to root my Nexus. I'd like to see a real list of reasons.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links