Replace my laptop with N1?

This is a discussion on Replace my laptop with N1? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; So, I hate my laptop. It is old, bulky, slow, its full of moon-dust, and I'm tired of windows. (when do we get Google laptops ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replace my laptop with N1?

Replace my laptop with N1?

So,
    I hate my laptop. It is old, bulky, slow, its full of moon-dust, and I'm tired of windows. (when do we get Google laptops to shake up the computer business too?)
    so, i found this:
    Nexus One USB host driver

has anyone had any experience doing such things? I'm not a tech guru or anything but dont mind trying so long as is doesn't mean i'll brick my phone if i dont get it perfect on the first try.

What could be better than doing fulfilling all your computing needs with your smart phone?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Even if it was successful, it won't match the speed of a 3 years old PC or the power of any GPU.

My recommendation? Get a new netbook/laptop.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Everyone has different needs. But IMO there is no way a smart phone could replace an entire laptop.

Today's smart phone cannot efficiently do the following:
    - web site design
    - graphic design
    - manipulate data in Excel/Word/Powerpoint
    - game with high end graphics
    - full scale video or music editing
    - software creation

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yeah I'd have to agree, there's just some things a phone is not cut out to replace. Preferably a laptop/desktop.

Fact is, if you own a Nexus One, you actually paid more for that than some of the laptop on the market. Have to keep in my that the Nexus One is a phone, first and foremost. Everything else is just extras to make it spiffy.
    Androidfied.

I have to agree with sn0warmy, I could never live with a phone only. If for no other reason just because the screen is too small. Even if I connected a full size keyboard and mouse to it I'd get tired of it pretty fast.

Although I work in a Windows environment all day long, I too don't like Windows and use a Mac at home. Maybe you should try out different OS's like Mac or Linux. Almost all Linux distros you'd run on your laptop are free.

There is noway my N1 could replace my MacBook. But I guess everyone has different needs.

As the posts show, I agree as well. Although I do LOVE the 1ghz Snapdragon on my Nexus, It is still outclassed by my Dell Inspiron, as with almost ANY laptop.

The Nexus One is great and I think EVERYONE should experience it. However, replacing your full of moon dust laptop for a Nexus wouldn't be the smartest idea. Replacing your laptop and getting a Nexus One would be just GENIUS.

You are able to do many things with the Nexus One but as sn0warmy put it :
    Quote Originally Posted by sn0warmy View Post
    Everyone has different needs. But IMO there is no way a smart phone could replace an entire laptop.

Today's smart phone cannot efficiently do the following:
    - web site design
    - graphic design
    - manipulate data in Excel/Word/Powerpoint
    - game with high end graphics
    - full scale video or music editing
    - software creation
    It just wouldn't be as effective as a laptop. With that being said, you could still get a Nexus One =).

If you are looking for a low-powered mobile computer to compliment the features your phone doesn't have, then a netbook would be the way to go.

Pros:
    Light and easy to carry around versus regular laptop
    6-cell versions get decent battery life
    Internet anywhere with tethering from a Nexus
    Bigger screen than phone (obviously)
    Physical keyboard to type on (around 96% of full size)
    Can handle Office applications and web apps properly and efficiently.

Cons:
    About the same cost as the lowest end laptop (on sale at major retailers) with no CD drive and smaller screen.
    Vastly underpowered compared to above laptop.
    Keyboard will not have dedicated 10-key without USB accessory (laptop might, not always)
    One more device to haul around (neutral effect if you already bring your laptop with you everywhere)
    ATT N1 Arrived - 5-18-2010
    Rooted - 7/4/2010

Running:
    Froyo FRF91 w/ root

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Yeah as mention, something should not be solely relied on with a phone.

I mean they do have some low end tablets out that run on some version of Android. I actually saw this at Bed Bath & Beyond (of all places)

Pandigital Novel eReader (white) E-Book reader reviews - CNET Reviews

Can't tell you much about it, don't know what version of Android is running, probably 1.5 or 1.6 but it does have the basic, web browsing, email, and multimedia capabilities and pandigital seem content to update the firmware to make it run smoother. No access to Android Market, but like any Android OS, is rootable apparently, and can side load apps through SDK

Soooo, depending on what you really want, are trying to do and what to expect is all in your need. It sounds like you've had a laptop for a long time, and if so, it's time to upgrade.
    Androidfied.

Yeah, the phone as a laptop replacement is just looking for trouble. Although it does have some comparable apps (messaging, notes, email) it cannot compare with the hardware found in a dedicated laptop.

If you don't like your laptop, do what I did, convert it into a media center and buy a netbook. Hell, the netbook only cost me about $650, which although is pricey (for those of us without a crapload of money) it does its job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links