Can it be the sim card?

This is a discussion on Can it be the sim card? within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Ok. So here's what's happening. I'm on T-mobile with an old sim card. Actully my sim card still says Voicestream. I live in Sugar Land,TX, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can it be the sim card?

Question Can it be the sim card?

Ok. So here's what's happening. I'm on T-mobile with an old sim card. Actully my sim card still says Voicestream. I live in Sugar Land,TX, a suburb outside of houston and never had any 3g issues except for this one corner of my house where it would drop to edge.

So this past week, as soon as I entered Sugar Land, my phone would drop to edge and sometimes even lose service. I heard that they were upgrading to HSPA+ so thought the 3g issue was maintenance related. However, this morning, a neighbor came by to drop something off so I asked him if he was having any 3g issues. He has a blackberry on t-mobile with full 3g bars. I've never had this problem until last week and it only happens when I enter the city of Sugar Land.
    Do you guys think it maybe the sim card? Maybe the old sim card is not compatible with HPSA+ .
    Anyways, I would appreciate any suggestions, comments, or share any similar experiences. Thanks.

And yes! I live in a city called Sugar Land....which is near Sweetwater and Sugar Creek.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My sim said voicestream as well and it was causing all kinds of problems (default sim lock, no mms...). An hour on the phone with support did not help. But getting a new SIM fixed everything immediately.

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    yeah sometimes sims card can become outdated when they do network updates. I know AT&T changed out sims cards years ago. So it's very well likely.
    Androidfied.

yeah i would replace the sim card, i used to have a voicestream one but a year or so ago my phone was messing up. T-Mobile gave me a free one as i had never had one from them and it seemed to fix any weird issues i was having with my phone at the time.
    The local T-Mobile stores told me it would be like $20.00 but after calling customer service i got it for free.

Yep, I am with the rest of them here. I think it is the sim. Especially if they are upgrading to HSPA+, that old sim may not be able to handle it..

Want me to send you a good one from OKLAHOMA?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Yeah I live in Sugar Land, TX too, and I haven't been having any problems with my 3g. It probably is your sim card!

Super Moderator AndroidIsTheTruth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judeeg View Post
    Yep, I am with the rest of them here. I think it is the sim. Especially if they are upgrading to HSPA+, that old sim may not be able to handle it..

Cans attached to strings are not allow in Texas.
    Androidfied.

I had this problem 3 days ago resulting in poor signal at first then had full signal bars with the black exclamation point triangle in the notification bar saying no t mobile service. After some checking on the service in my area, determined the sim card went bad. Went to my local t mo store and got a replacement sim and back up and running.

Edit: with the sim card reprogram my phone number now appears in the about phone info so that took care of that quirk.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post

Ha Ha Ha....I have news for you. That is where my neighbor ordered theirs from, was Texas... He got one for their kids tree house! So there!
    :rofl3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Google Nexus One Froyo
    Rooted ~ CM 6RC3~ CM6.0 N1~ Nightlies ~
    Was Using~ eViL's NXSense v.1.21.3 - 720p, BT, FM, Hotspots, Kitchen Sink
    Was Using~ MicroMod's 2.12 Desire SuperHybrid
    Was Using~ MicroMod's Gingerbread CM7 Custom ROM v1.2 (DT's-Ap2Ext,Bat%,Themed
    Was Using ~ BlackDroid's Nexus One - UD 3.1.0Rom
    Was Using ~ CM 7 Gingerbread Green or Blue ExtremeMod ROM
    Now ~ CM NIGHTLY'S

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidIsTheTruth View Post

Ha Ha Ha....I have news for you. That is where my neighbor ordered theirs from, was Texas... He got one for their kids tree house! So there!
    :rofl3:
    Wow! Oklahoma is that backwards that they have to import their cans and strings...

Anyways thanks guys for the confirmation. I went to TMo today and got my sim replaced...and that did the trick!

On a side note: When I was at the store, a couple was talking to the manager to see if they were eligible for an upgrade. He checked and they were eligible. He asked if they wanted another blackberry but they said they wanted an iphone. They asked if a jailbroken iphone 3g would work on Tmobile. Now this "manager" said that it would but if they wanted a new iphone 4g, they would have to go with AT&T.
    WTF!! He had a customer eligible for an upgrade, ready to purchase. He could have shown them the Samsung Vibrant and compared it to the iphone. But he let them walk without even showing a comparable alternative. C'mon..people are out unemployed looking for work. At least do your job!
    Sorry just had to let that out. It irritates me when people stop trying.
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links