The Nexus isn't using the proximity sensor much...

This is a discussion on The Nexus isn't using the proximity sensor much... within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; Hi! I've just noticed that the Nexus doesn't utilise the proximity sensor much. Sure, it turns the screen off when we are in a call... ...

Thread: The Nexus isn't using the proximity sensor much...

The Nexus isn't using the proximity sensor much...

Hi!

I've just noticed that the Nexus doesn't utilise the proximity sensor much. Sure, it turns the screen off when we are in a call... and that's pretty much all I can think of (correct me if I'm wrong !).

I mean other phones have nice setting like: flip to silent a call, flip to snooze an alarm (seen in a variety of phones) and my personal favourite from Nokia, tap the screen for time.

Coming from a Nokia 5800, I was able to lazily flip my phone to keep sleeping, now I have to fumble the phone and press the right button on the screen to snooze it.

Are there apps out there that bring these features to the Nexus? I think the use of the proximity sensor has potential!

Thanks in advance!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

cxm
    If you download tasker, you can get it to do whatever you want when you flip the phone. Below link shows it going into silent mode and a load of other things. If you donwload it from the tasker site then you can get a free trial for 14 days. If you download it from market you pay immediately and can only refund for 24 hours

How to Turn Your Android Phone into a Fully-Automated Superphone)

Wow thats quite an interesting app!

I'll look into it a bit sure seems like a powerful app!

Anyone else want to chime in onto to proximity sensor based apps?

Twitter
    Nd1razor
    I always believed it was a light sensor, but this makes more sense, and a lot more usefull.

:O

* searches for proximity apps...

Quote Originally Posted by Fury View Post
    I always believed it was a light sensor, but this makes more sense, and a lot more usefull.

:O

* searches for proximity apps...
    Yes there is a very good app for Nokia where the proximity sensor is used as an alrm. So when you put your phone in your pocket, it makes a "woop woop" sound like a car. If the phone is taken out without unlocking, it makes the phone squeal... good for pick pockets!

This is why I was wondering why there is such a lack of apps using this Sensor. There are plenty of useful things this sensor could be used for

FYI, none of the things that you mentioned use the proximity sensor to do their magic. The "flip" stuff all use the internal gyroscopes. For example: you can flip the phone over 4 feet off the ground and it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    FYI, none of the things that you mentioned use the proximity sensor to do their magic. The "flip" stuff all use the internal gyroscopes. For example: you can flip the phone over 4 feet off the ground and it still works.
    Beer Goggles, you seem to be right Not many apps SOLEY rely on the proximity sensor

Xpressalarm didn't specify which sensor they used (but its not the accelerometer as mention in the video. When i used it in the past, covering the front sensors did the trick (so it might be the light sensor rather than the proximity)

Tap for time, I can't get a firm grip on which sensor it uses, some say accelerometer, others say proximity. I wonder how the tapping is registered in the accelerometer?

Pocket Sensor is the only app I can say that uses the proximity sensor for sure.

I guess it depends on the scenario, some sensors might be more suited to some specific uses. I wish i had some programming brain, this sensor stuff seems so useful! I'll develop useful apps similar to this!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links