ROM disappearing

This is a discussion on ROM disappearing within the Nexus One forums, part of the Google Phones category; I am not sure if anyone asked but I hope you all dont mind if I am asking again. I can't help but notice, when ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ROM disappearing

ROM disappearing

I am not sure if anyone asked but I hope you all dont mind if I am asking again.

I can't help but notice, when I install some apps, and unintall them, not the same amount of ROM were recovered.

Let's say my free ROM was 25Mb before I installed Skyseige. After installing Skyseige, it went down to 19Mb. After I uninstalled it, the free ROM went up to 23Mb. This is just an example.

Anyone know actually how all these work? Do ROM really disappear?

Any way to recover those disappeared ROM?

You know, the ROM space is precious in N1.

Thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My experience has been that some apps after uninstalling leave behind folders, pictures, other files, etc. This probalby increases if you have used (tested) the app for any length of time. A home replacement I tried left like a ridiculous amount of pictures in my gallery...I mounted my phone and deleted all the "generic" pictures via my computer LOL...learned my lesson.
    CM7.0.3
    Overclocked 1113

Try Settings->Applications-> Manage Applications-> Market-> then press clear cache
    Come here little sheep; I have a nice juicy apple for you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nexus One: Locked and Rooted
    ROM: CM7

When apps are installed they place install data in the dalvik cache. This cache isn't cleared when you uninstall apps.

If you boot into recovery, you can choose "wipe cache partition" then reboot your phone. This should free up some space. Reboot will be slower than normal while Android rebuilds (refreshes) the cache.

Good Info,

Is one method any better than the other for the two above.

Does either one risk losing needed data, apps etc, making something unusable.

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

I would do them both.

Both will free up space on the phone, but do them one at a time to see the difference each one makes.

Neither one will destroy anything. They're completely safe.

Thanks rioja,

Ken
    Phones Owned: Nokia 6200; Nokia 6126 2ea; BB 8700g; BB 8900; MyTouch 4G; Nexus One: HTC One S; Carrier-TMobile

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

San Francisco Giants

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by rioja View Post
    When apps are installed they place install data in the dalvik cache. This cache isn't cleared when you uninstall apps.

If you boot into recovery, you can choose "wipe cache partition" then reboot your phone. This should free up some space. Reboot will be slower than normal while Android rebuilds (refreshes) the cache.
    Dear Rioja,

Any such Dalvik Cache clearing fix for unrooted phones?

Could you give us the steps?

Thank you

this is something new
    so this method will NOT wipe the settings nor the apps? But only the cache (such as user names, password, settings maybe?)?

Thanks for letting us know.

Quote Originally Posted by schizophrenia View Post

this is something new
    so this method will NOT wipe the settings nor the apps? But only the cache (such as user names, password, settings maybe?)?

Thanks for letting us know.
    This will not wipe any names, passwords, settings, etc. So after you wipe the cache partition you DO NOT have to re-setup or re-enter anything. The only difference you should see is more free space on your phone.

Wipe cache partition clears out the "dalvik cache". What's the dalvik cache? In simple terms... it's a space on your phone that stores info about the Android framework and the apps you have installed on the phone.

Why clear it? Over time data can remain in the cache that we no longer need (from uninstalled apps, etc). So we manually purge the cache and start fresh by re-booting the phone after the wipe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links